Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so what dog would you consider to be the best dog for tracking game and a loyal family pet? in other words find lost deer, play with the kids, and keep folks out of my tools.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I have a beagle that has a great nose, but a poor trainer (me). It takes alot of time and commitment. There is a book about blood tracking deer with dogs and has a chapter dedicated to choosing the breed. It is a good book for reference filled with info for the hunter on tracking. I know many say the Dachshund (hot dog) dogs are a good breed. I don't know about intimidation for guard duty, but I promise you no one comes in my yard without my knowledge.

http://www.born-to-track.com/book/order-info.htm

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
i have a vizsla that has a great nose, she can find deer. she has been trained as a bird dog, she's incredible. i would also consider a blood hound. they have incredible noses also and are good with people.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Tracking dog

My father-in-law had a red lab that could track a wounded deer thru a snow storm, plus work cattle and great with kids. "Just one of the family!"

·
Registered
697 Posts
I forgot to mention in my earlier post. Do a search on here there are previous threads dedicated to this topic.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Hard to beat a Labrador!

Great family dogs and incredibly versatile in the field. They do it all from upland to waterfowl to watchdog and companion. My three Labs have all been deer chasers (had to break them from it). Hardy, low maintenace and a joy to have aorund (once they are trained). It's no wonder they are the most popular dog in the US.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
I think many dogs can be trained to do this. I have a rat terrier that is incredibly smart. We have trained her to find specific toys, treats, etc. Plus if you look at my avatar she is very protective of me. We are going to start working with her on shed hunting. I think that time and patience, plus reward will train most dogs to find something that you want them to. I'm sure some dogs have better noses, but if you can focus the dog on the task at hand and they want your approval, they will do amazing things. We also a have a GSP and he is definitely a bird dog, but as for finding other hidden items, not much interest as the rat terrier, of course rat terriers love to dig and find hidden animals.

Colette

·
Registered
118 Posts
Great family dogs and incredibly versatile in the field. They do it all from upland to waterfowl to watchdog and companion. My three Labs have all been deer chasers (had to break them from it). Hardy, low maintenace and a joy to have aorund (once they are trained). It's no wonder they are the most popular dog in the US.
:up:thumbs_up:dog1:

·
Registered
118 Posts
_up:dog1:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts