Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 5 pin Axcel Armortech HD. I am so frustrated with this site. The gang adjustments are great but I am having trouble with the individual pin adjustments. I know how to do it but it is not working. Can someone shed some light on a step by step procedure of "Micro Adjusting" them.

Loosen them, turn the knob and nothing. Top and bottom pin do not move at all. Middle pins are sloppy. Far from "Micro Adjust"

What a pain....

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
I thought mine wasn't working the last time I adjusted it and found that I just hadn't loosened the individual pin enough. They're pretty sensitive and need to be really loose to move.

·
Registered
24,973 Posts
I thought mine wasn't working the last time I adjusted it and found that I just hadn't loosened the individual pin enough. They're pretty sensitive and need to be really loose to move.
X2!!!!!!! also keep your track adjustment firm. If its not tighten the Philips adjustment on top.

·
Registered
703 Posts

·
Time Flies
13,281 Posts
The pins have to be pretty loose to move. I experienced the same thing that you're experiencing when I first got mine, but now that I realize that they have to be quite loose to move, it's working beautifully.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I was at a 3d shoot yesterday and compared it to four different sites. Mine is defective. Called the shop and one is in the mail today. So doesn't look like I have to do warranty work.

·
fall at last
3,260 Posts
If you tighten the pins too much it fouls them up, only a 1/4 turn or so past "snug" works. I found out the hard way after I bought a used one on the classifieds and it was alll messed up. Had to send it in and now it works much better, still not as precise as my SH micro adjust but much better than it was.

·
Recovering hunting addict
8,297 Posts
The pins have to be pretty loose to move. I experienced the same thing that you're experiencing when I first got mine, but now that I realize that they have to be quite loose to move, it's working beautifully.
X2

Same thing here.

·
<--- Finally!!
2,561 Posts
got 2

I have 2 of them and always turn them exactly one turn out and tehy adjust perfectly. Since you need an allen wrench to loosen the pins, i heated and bent one into a kind of "U" shape so I could store it by poking it into that vibration dampener thing. Works good.

·
Widewater Hunt Club
9,387 Posts
Picked up a 5 pin Axcel Armortech HD. I am so frustrated with this site. The gang adjustments are great but I am having trouble with the individual pin adjustments. I know how to do it but it is not working. Can someone shed some light on a step by step procedure of "Micro Adjusting" them.

Loosen them, turn the knob and nothing. Top and bottom pin do not move at all. Middle pins are sloppy. Far from "Micro Adjust"

What a pain....
Wouldn't be a pain if you knew how the sight is constructed. I took mine apart and removed one of the pins and changed fiber color on another. Just seeing the pin mechanics explained it all to me! If you shoot (Out West) a p/m maybe he will send you an email with pics. on how to tear down and reassemble the sight? He helped me out and I'm greatfull! I just hate having something and not knowing exactly how it works!:D

·
Shooter of flesh
7,661 Posts
I have 2 of them and always turn them exactly one turn out and tehy adjust perfectly. Since you need an allen wrench to loosen the pins, i heated and bent one into a kind of "U" shape so I could store it by poking it into that vibration dampener thing. Works good.
These are the instructions I got when I bought mine and it's worked perfectly from day one. By the way, these instructions were highly stressed to me when I took possession of the sight.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wouldn't be a pain if you knew how the sight is constructed. I took mine apart and removed one of the pins and changed fiber color on another. Just seeing the pin mechanics explained it all to me! If you shoot (Out West) a p/m maybe he will send you an email with pics. on how to tear down and reassemble the sight? He helped me out and I'm greatfull! I just hate having something and not knowing exactly how it works!:D
If I had owned the site more than 12 hours I wouldn't mind knowing how to fix it. But I paid $200 for a site I expect it to atleast work the first time. I know for a fact I didn't overtighten them because I never had a chance. Just loosen them and knew something was wrong.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
My first question would be, did you read the directions? It is important that you loosen the pin you want to micro adjust, by one full turn. A half turn or two full turns would cause it to not work properly. Several people have posted having difficulties with the micro adjust only to find out that they were not doing it correctly.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Made it to the pro shop this afternoon and swapped out the site. It was definitely defective. New one adjusts so much better. Thanks for the replies. I really like this site when it was broken so I can't even imagine being able to actually adjust it right.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Armortech Sight

Glad I could help. I believe they say in the instructions to back the screw out one full turn (at least that is what I remember). That is "VERY CRITICAL" with the micro adjust on these sights. If you saw the inside of the sight and saw how the mechanics work you would understand. There is a cam lever that pivots and makes contact with the threaded lead screw. If you don't back out far enough, then the cam lever doesn't make contact with the lead screw properly and will have problems with the micro adjust. On the same note, if you back the set screw out too far then the cam lever gets pulled away from the lead screw and doesn't adjust either. So not enough of a turn and too many turns out is bad on these. I've found that 1 full turn to 1.5 turns usually works well. Again, easy to understand once you see the inner workings. I have seen and had problems myself where they don't work. I think in my case I ended up needing new cam levers from Axcel. My suggestion here if you are doing it correctly and yours still doesn't adjust properly, then just order a whole new pin from Axcel. It will come complete with all the parts you need and fix your problem. If anyone needs help with these sights, just send me a PM and I can send you an email that I quickly put together that has some instructions and pictures of how to work on them.

On another note, as some others mentioned, you don't want to tighten the pins too tight either which can also cause problems. Snug works just fine.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Glad I could help. I believe they say in the instructions to back the screw out one full turn (at least that is what I remember). That is "VERY CRITICAL" with the micro adjust on these sights. If you saw the inside of the sight and saw how the mechanics work you would understand. There is a cam lever that pivots and makes contact with the threaded lead screw. If you don't back out far enough, then the cam lever doesn't make contact with the lead screw properly and will have problems with the micro adjust. On the same note, if you back the set screw out too far then the cam lever gets pulled away from the lead screw and doesn't adjust either. So not enough of a turn and too many turns out is bad on these. I've found that 1 full turn to 1.5 turns usually works well. Again, easy to understand once you see the inner workings. I have seen and had problems myself where they don't work. I think in my case I ended up needing new cam levers from Axcel. My suggestion here if you are doing it correctly and yours still doesn't adjust properly, then just order a whole new pin from Axcel. It will come complete with all the parts you need and fix your problem. If anyone needs help with these sights, just send me a PM and I can send you an email that I quickly put together that has some instructions and pictures of how to work on them.

On another note, as some others mentioned, you don't want to tighten the pins too tight either which can also cause problems. Snug works just fine.
+1 first thing i did when i got mine was tear it apart via your instructions to see whats up...then change the fibers out...its really a nice piece of equipment when you see how its made...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts