Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've did alot of searching for the next sight I'll be buying & I think I've narrowed it down to axel armortech HD or black gold redzone HD.
I've searched this forum too, but would like to hear more about advantages or drawbacks between the 2 sights.
adjustments come loose, screws break to easily, ease of adjustment,etc.... basically anything. I'm pretty sure the black gold might win the brightness part, but any drawbacks to the amortech light knob ?

it looks like the BG redzone hd has micro adjustment for the elavation/windage, correct ?
I dont care for the idea of 2 red pins.

the other choices included the G5 LE optix & apex gear nitrus. the apex nitrus had mix reviews & the G5 I already own 1 & its a good sight but broke too easily & pins not the brightest.
so it comes down to the amortech HD vs the black gold redzone HD
which would you choose ?

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I would go with the Axcel. I prefer the fit and finish and it has very precise adjustments.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
I'm waiting for my customized axcel right now. Hopefully be here in the next week or so.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
IMO I would go with the redzone. 2nd & 3rd axis is easier to adjust and the individual pin adjustment is also easier. Each pin has it's own wheel to turn and each is micro adjustible. Better warranty and build stronger.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have the armortech and my dad has the red zone and wishes he went with the armortech.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
as for the 3rd axis I dont want the sight base be able to move on the riser at all! the reason why I choose redzone HD instead of the regular redzone.

I have a feeling the redzone would win the brightness level, but no light knob, though if bright enough then no need for it & could save some money down the road w/o the need for batterys, which would also be great.

which do you think have the easier & more reliable micro adjustments, w/o coming loose or breaking by accident.

the prices are about the same for each & both have great reviews from people here, I'm trying to get more opinions cuz its difficult to choose right now, so anything including little quirks about them help.
maybe it might have to come down to a pro's con's thing between the sights :lol:

·
Registered
383 Posts
For hunting I went with the red zone. Take the Axel outside and the pins don't gather light to good and the only way to see pins good is to turn the light on..red zone no problem..their bright inside and outside ...

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
If someone thinks an Armortech isn't bright they have eye problems. I have to put tape on the fiber optic cover to make them less bright outdoors.

I've owned a LOT of pins sights over the years including top of the line models from black gold and spot hogg. The Axcel ArmorTech is the best pin sight made.

·
Widewater Hunt Club
9,380 Posts
I'm waiting for my customized axcel right now. Hopefully be here in the next week or so.
Don't know how long your wait has been so far, but next week will be two months I've been waiting on my Armortech pro hd custom. I'm on the fence right now as to if I should be "pizzled off" or not. The funny thing is a couple months ago I custom ordered a Spot Hogg and it took a whole two weeks! Go figure:wink:

·
Registered
18,246 Posts
I didnt find the Axcel Armour Tech to be nearly bright enough for low light hunting situations especially out a ground blind at last shooting light. The Redzone is far brighter, and the brightest fixed pin on the market without a light source IMHO. Nothing wrong with my eye sight:darkbeer:. Ive heard numerous guys say the same thing about the Armour Tech. They are built awesome, but if they do lack in one department it is pin brightness!! Both very nice well built sights.

·
Catty Shack
12,176 Posts
I special ordered an all green 3 pin Armortech and when on stand I have to make sure my external light isn't on accidentally because the pins are so bright.

My step-son got an off the shelf Armortech and has a little trouble seeing the red colored pins - dad = 1, boy = 0.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
I would go with the redzone myself. The photocramatic shell works amazing and the pins are all the same brightness with no halo effect. I just ordered a base with the 3rd axis ajustment so Ill pretty much have a redzone when it gets here. I also love the micro adjust for the individual pins. I looked at the amortech and wasnt impressed with the pin brightness. The one I looked at had .010 pins. Not to mention they have the best customer service around. If you break it they will fix it no ?'s asked

·
Registered
368 Posts
so....tat. Which one did you go with? I think I'm going to go with the red zone based on customer service and great lighted pins without the need of a light. (From what I've heard)

I'd also like to hear from others if they have any opinions on these sights. thanks.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so....tat. Which one did you go with? I think I'm going to go with the red zone based on customer service and great lighted pins without the need of a light. (From what I've heard)

I'd also like to hear from others if they have any opinions on these sights. thanks.
I bought the redzone HD. never did any low light shooting yet, gonna have to take peoples word for the brightness. the sight seems well built & should be good for low light.
my only complaint I have with it is the style of micro adjustment (wheel)for the pins, they're not as tight & precise as the G5 allen screw adjustment (which I really liked about the G5 sights)
dont get me wrong for the redzone, you can micro adjust the pins its just IMO that wheel style is a little sloppy compared to a smooth allen screw style micro adjustment. but once the pins are sighted in then no need to worry.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Armortech HD Pro vs Blach Gold

I went with the Armortech HD Pro and am very pleased with the construction and more importantly the adjustment (it takes alot to impress me)
Its one of the few sights that uses stainless hardware.....nothing more anoying than rust on your Black Gold! Pin Lighting is not as bright as the BG at very low light but im comparing multi coloured .010s to .019s on the BG. If i was to custom it again id get all green fibres to improve the brightness......i'll have more to report on that after this years deer season.

I bought a light with it and the 3 increment brightness switch went almost imediately although it still works one setting.

Both sights are good choices. Notwithstanding, ive used both and prefer the Armortech

1 - 20 of 21 Posts