Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok im sure this has been discused but id like to here what evryone thinks about the importance of axle to axle to a target bow. i know the old rule of thumb is longer the better for targets . now i think maby this is because longer bows typically have less reflex in the riser and are more stable that way ? i understand it would be harder to cant or torque (bubble level off left or right)a longer bow but beside that what is the real advantage ? iv seen where people are having good success with 33-35 ata bows . any field or fita style shooters out there using shorter bows? thanks for the input all in advance .

·
Time Flies
13,281 Posts
ok im sure this has been discused but id like to here what evryone thinks about the importance of axle to axle to a target bow. i know the old rule of thumb is longer the better for targets . now i think maby this is because longer bows typically have less reflex in the riser and are more stable that way ? i understand it would be harder to cant or torque (bubble level off left or right)a longer bow but beside that what is the real advantage ? iv seen where people are having good success with 33-35 ata bows . any field or fita style shooters out there using shorter bows? thanks for the input all in advance .
Eh. I think it's important to find a bow with an ATA that is proportional to your DL. For example, with my 26.5-27" DL, I certainly wouldn't want to shoot a bow that is 43"+ ATA. It just wouldn't feel right. I feel the most comfortable with a bow that is 38" ATA with about a 7" brace height.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eh. I think it's important to find a bow with an ATA that is proportional to your DL. For example, with my 26.5-27" DL, I certainly wouldn't want to shoot a bow that is 43"+ ATA. It just wouldn't feel right. I feel the most comfortable with a bow that is 38" ATA with about a 7" brace height.
i get that, good point, string angle at full draw would play a part with consistancy, and anchor etc but im not sure that would be a factor with the bows stability and acuracy. shooters comfort and repeatibility for sure .

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
You know everybody says get the longer axle to axle than your draw I shot a maxxis 31 and I have a draw lenght of 30 inchs and all these local shoots here in nothern arkansas I am well know and I aint saying I am a good shot but I usally place in the top 3 so its really what you perfer.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
with the longer ata bows you have less arrow time on the string which equals less time to make a mistake + the less reflexed design + longer brace height + easy to anchor with they are usally easy to hold (they are a lot heavyier which is probably the reason why).
JMO

·
Time Flies
13,281 Posts
with the longer ata bows you have less arrow time on the string which equals less time to make a mistake + the less reflexed design + longer brace height + easy to anchor with they are usally easy to hold (they are a lot heavyier which is probably the reason why).
JMO
Why do you automatically assume a longer ATA bow is less reflexed and easier to anchor? ATA length has nothing to do with arrow time on the string.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why do you automatically assume a longer ATA bow is less reflexed and easier to anchor? ATA length has nothing to do with arrow time on the string.
kinda with you on that one. brace hight and draw length determine arrow time on the string more brace hight = less time on the string . i guess what im after is what makes a longer ata more preferable for target shooting from a technical stand point. aside from it being harder to tilt a bow away from level at full draw with a longer ata .generally the longer (38"+) bows have less of a reflex in the riser. i do apreciate all the input though .

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok i know there are a few bow science type folks on here .there is science behind all of this and id really like to here about ata from that point of view . sound off and post up folks , why do all ....er most of the target guys shoot long ata bows ?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I shoot a longer ata because they hold better (steadier) in tournaments.. Right now I have a 32 inch ata. I'm used to 36-39ata.. I can see a difference in it.. I have ordered a new 36 inch ata just for outdoor nationals and for the world I.B.O.. This is what i like..The balance just seems to be better on longer ata..

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I shoot a longer ata because they hold better (steadier) in tournaments.. Right now I have a 32 inch ata. I'm used to 36-39ata.. I can see a difference in it.. I have ordered a new 36 inch ata just for outdoor nationals and for the world I.B.O.. This is what i like..The balance just seems to be better on longer ata..
thanks vary much I do understand it's a shooters preference and balance means alot . I apreciate you're input

·
Shooter of flesh
7,661 Posts
I don't think that it's very complicated. For the same reason target shooters have long stabilizers with V blocks...it's because longer, resists your movements better. If shorter was better, then high wire walkers would use a broom handle instead of those 30 foot poles.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
congrats on the good shootin!

You know everybody says get the longer axle to axle than your draw I shot a maxxis 31 and I have a draw lenght of 30 inchs and all these local shoots here in nothern arkansas I am well know and I aint saying I am a good shot but I usally place in the top 3 so its really what you perfer.
I shoot spots pretty good but some of the guys I shoot with don't miss. meaning they shot perfect perfects. I've seen 450vegas 45x out of 45x shoots and shoot with a world record holder shooter Fita shooter. These guys are machines and their brothers, billings MT. their dad ain't no slouch either. These guys shoot 38" axle to axle hoyt if i remember correctly. I believe the string angle and peep to eye distance is a big thing to me and brace height really come in to play. I'm a good shot but good don't cut it around awesome. maybe someday I hope. My question for you is how tall are you wanting to compare to your height to bow a to a. Maybe if you shot a different setup you might shoot even bette. What does third mean to you. I shot our state shoot and took third and only dropped one point for the weekend/two day shoot 599 102x for weekend and was disappointed with my shooting. Catch you later and keep on shootin.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thank you all for the input

1 - 13 of 13 Posts