Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Crud. I am sitting at 11 but have a moose hunt planned. After next year everything gets much more difficult, no?

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,153 Posts

add 1 point to each for insurance
Bob is definitely the guru on this...though I doubt he has draw Arizona elk in back to back years like some of us....grin

Bob, are you factoring in the new 5% vs the old 10% NR max point bonus pool?

·
WapitiBob
6,935 Posts
5/5 split doesn't happen till 2016. 2015 may be OK for higher point guys if the new Article 1 stuff doesn't get much press before the close of the draw. I believe she's presenting at the January meeting.

Wish you would have had a better hunt.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,153 Posts
Hey, it was worth a shot. 11m flagstaff is an easy draw with 2 points...and they killed a 410" in there in 2013....just not my style hunt with all of the roads every 1/4 mile

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Hey, it was worth a shot. 11m flagstaff is an easy draw with 2 points...and they killed a 410" in there in 2013....just not my style hunt with all of the roads every 1/4 mile
That's my backyard and I will never hunt that unit for elk . 6b is the same way plus it's cut in half by sycamore canyon.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,153 Posts
That's my backyard and I will never hunt that unit for elk . 6b is the same way plus it's cut in half by sycamore canyon.
Nice Backyard! I like that town Flagstaff....

·
Registered
358 Posts
5/5 split doesn't happen till 2016. 2015 may be OK for higher point guys if the new Article 1 stuff doesn't get much press before the close of the draw. I believe she's presenting at the January meeting.

Wish you would have had a better hunt.

What changes are happening?

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,153 Posts
So as someone who's going to start earning points this coming year, are you suggesting it may not be a good idea to start at this point?
Good question. I think it depends a lot on your disposable income. You can go look up the applications for each unit and see how many non res to give you an idea what you are up against. for sure the units like 1,9,10 will have the amount of points it takes to guarantee you draw go up. So when unit 1 takes about 12 now, it will probably go up a point or two and could continue to creep up yearly....but your odds of drawing a random tag go up.

My take; I will be putting in for the good units on the chance I get lucky as I can afford to play around with this low odds and all. If I was on a budget probably better just to play superlotto.

2015; If I had close to the points to draw out next year- I WOULD GO FOR IT and not save points as its only going to get harder.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Would you guys say that a lot of the units that took 4-8 points to likely draw in the past will experience really dramatic drops in draw percentages for NRs because a lot of people who were with points in the 3-8 point range (just as an example- the actual range may be bigger or smaller) will simply give up their hopes of pulling a 9, 10, 7W kind of tag and apply for these "lesser units"? I'd sure assume so...

·
Registered
87 Posts
7 west is not that hard to draw like 1 9 10 23 22 3ac
if your not at max points you will actually have a chance to draw a tag in any unit which has never been the case before.
The more bonus points you have the better chance you have at drawing a tag so why waist points you paid alot of money for.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,153 Posts
Would you guys say that a lot of the units that took 4-8 points to likely draw in the past will experience really dramatic drops in draw percentages for NRs because a lot of people who were with points in the 3-8 point range (just as an example- the actual range may be bigger or smaller) will simply give up their hopes of pulling a 9, 10, 7W kind of tag and apply for these "lesser units"? I'd sure assume so...
my take; if i had say 6 points- I would try to draw out in a lesser unit as it will be tougher in the following years...then start putting in for the lottery in unit 9- what the heck.

·
WapitiBob
6,935 Posts
Mid tier late rifle, never get above 5 points again.

I'd be sweatin like a pig at the county fair if I had 15-16 points right now.

·
Registered
330 Posts
This is the first I'm hearing of this??? I have eleven points right now and only put in for 1, 9, 10. What does this mean for me????

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,153 Posts
This is the first I'm hearing of this??? I have eleven points right now and only put in for 1, 9, 10. What does this mean for me????
i don't think anyone knows for sure. My guess, you wont draw Units 1 or 9 next yr better chance in 10 but thats going to be iffy if everyone wises up. If you don't draw out in 2015...it will probably be many years until you can draw those units with max points...but always have a chance at gen draw- though very low odds. Bob probably has the best feel for this.....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts