Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys that move back and forth say String Walking at one tourney....and gapping in another feel you lose a little bit of accuracy from flip flopping?

Its got to be tough if you prefer SW as many trad tourneys have rules on that requiring a finger on the arrow...they wouldn't want you cheating or anything- grin

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
I try or have tried about everything I have heard about.............but I usually go back to 3 under gapping. Mostly because that is what is considered Trad Legal at the shoots I attend, that is the way I shoot most and am most comfortable and consistently accurate with. If I were to compete barebow (like Vegas) then stringwalking would get a lot more of my practice time. I do believe it is a superior way to aim and shoot.

·
Archery curmudgeon
2,785 Posts
I think most people are shooting different styles for different disciplines, ie: indoor, field , 3-D, hunting, etc. In aiming one size does not fit all.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
It takes me about two days to get comfortable again after going between stringwalking and gap shooting. I prefer stringwalking because it's so much more fun and interesting. But switching to gap is no big deal. Once you know your gaps at all distances you will be asked to shoot at, the shot, in the end, is the same. For me that means placing my arrow point on the spot beneath the target when gapping and executing the shot. I mess up far more shots for bad execution than because of aiming errors. Stringwalking, as I practice it with the point always on the spot, does not guarantee a hit. It only guarantees your arrow was set for elevation properly before you released the arrow. It's that releasing of the arrow where the trouble starts. Most mistakes in shooting are execution, not aiming. So in conclusion, I find switching easy but it does take a few days to go from SW to gap. I can go from gap to SW overnight with no problem because I'm not estimating gaps.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe its because i just started Stringwalking and haven't been shooting it long.....but it does seem to mess with my internal calibration when going back an forth.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
Takes about a week to get comfortable, but a few weeks to get back to maximum performance. Stringwalking to gap seems like the easier transition.

-Grant

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Takes about a week to get comfortable, but a few weeks to get back to maximum performance. Stringwalking to gap seems like the easier transition.

-Grant
Grant, I find is much easier the other way. Going from gap to SWing. Give me a hard spot to place my arrow point on and I'm happy. Relearning the gap and getting it right takes me a few days. Funny how we are all different in how we react to change, how our brains are wired.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Beendare I feel for you, must be frustrating being forced to switch back and forth because of rules.

I made the switch to Stringwalking last year because of rules, I set my rig for WA Archery which means I can shoot all IFAA and World Archery tourneys with no Form/equipment adjustments, it makes shooting tourneys a lot more fun, and enjoyed the style change and the challenges it brought. Before I was switching bows from metal ILF to wood bolt down Recurves because of different rules.

Barebow Stringwalking is popular this side of the pond and is very competitive. When I shot Longbow it's a big div and was pretty competitive but a lot of the time the guy that comes first normally wins by a clear margin, Barebow is a much tighter competition, I shot IFAA Euro 3D's in France (60y max) and won by one point on the last target, going into the last day only 10 points between the top 4 shooters, it was the most exciting and fun tourney I've had in a long long time.

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,248 Posts
I do what's needed. I prefer stringwalking and pick-a-point but sometimes the rule do not allow it and I have to gap.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
I retract my previous statement: picked up my Barebow for the first time in a few months today and it came back pretty much instantly. Gap definitely takes longer than that.

-Grant

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,248 Posts
What rule prevents pick-a-point? Or are you referring to just stringwalking?
None for organizations I shoot for. Pick-a-point is great for fixed distance target shooting, like FITA. It is harder for disciplines like 3D. Stringwalking is what I have a rule problem with. When I shoot NFAA I shoot in the barebow class against compound finger shooters and stringwalk, unless I am shooting longbow, where I will either gap or pick-a-point.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Beendare I feel for you, must be frustrating being forced to switch back and forth because of rules.

I made the switch to Stringwalking last year because of rules, I set my rig for WA Archery which means I can shoot all IFAA and World Archery tourneys with no Form/equipment adjustments, it makes shooting tourneys a lot more fun, and enjoyed the style change and the challenges it brought. Before I was switching bows from metal ILF to wood bolt down Recurves because of different rules.

Barebow Stringwalking is popular this side of the pond and is very competitive. When I shot Longbow it's a big div and was pretty competitive but a lot of the time the guy that comes first normally wins by a clear margin, Barebow is a much tighter competition, I shot IFAA Euro 3D's in France (60y max) and won by one point on the last target, going into the last day only 10 points between the top 4 shooters, it was the most exciting and fun tourney I've had in a long long time.
Steve, interesting comments, thx.... I'm just more of a pick a style/bow/arrow that I'm going to hunt with and shoot it for everything; target,3D, field rounds...but I've been considering having dedicated setups due to the advantages and don't want the flip flopping to affect my hunting accuracy. In the scheme of things...there are much more important things to spend time thinking about- grin.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts