Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,331 Posts
I don't have any pics of my bows, but they're listed in my signature.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
last year it was a 82nd airborne. 36" axle to axle. i bought a 32" axle to axle bow for next season due to the thick dark timbered and heavy vegetated cover i prefer to hunt. i just figure a shorter bow will be easier to manuever in tight quarters.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I don't use a lighter setup for backcountry elk hunts but rather use the same bow I shoot for 3d, target, turkey deer and bear hunting. Its just not worth it to shoot a different bow in my opinion. My bulls were shot with a Mathews Icon, Hoyt Protec, Hoyt Katera XL, this year will be a Mathews Monster. All have two piece quivers, Spot Hogg sights, and either drop away or Whisker Biscuit rests. All were shot with a heavy backpack on. I just pump iron and go for it and don't worry about saving weight on the bow.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I think it's more important to have a bow you're CONFIDENT in than anything. I'm not 100% sure which bow that will be come Sept. I've been out with a Trykon XL, and an old Reflex because at the time, they were the 2 bows that I felt the MOST confident in. This fall, it will probably be between a Trykon XL, and my AM35. Though one may be lighter, that doesn't necessarily make it better. As far as ATA goes, I've still got to fit my body through whatever I'm travelling through, so if a 37" bow ain't fitting, neither is a 230# 6' man....:amen:

Confidence in the bow should be your key deciding factor!!! :thumb:

·
Smilin' Bob
25,079 Posts
I've only hunted with one sub-36" bow....didn't kill an elk that year.:eek: ;) I've shot 'em with everything up to 44" ATA doing a whopping 188 fps.

I don't need blazing fast...if its under 35 yards it doesn't matter, and if its over 35 the rangefinder is employed. Speed isn't gonna provide me anything more than...

Accuracy; I like my 3D bows as hunting bows. I shoot them the most and have the most confidence in them. I figure if its good enough to hit quarter sized targets up to 50 yards its good enough for an elks 10-gallon lungs.

Weight - I don't worry about the bow as much as I do with the accessories I put on it. I kinda chince out on the stabilizers, because I get less benefit out of it than anything else.

Durable - again, accessories are the main culprit for failures...pick good ones.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I don't normally take pictures of my bows until they're laying on top of some critter...so lots of times they never get thier picture taken. :embara: :)

I would agree with what others have said regarding a "backcountry" bow...take what you're comfortable with. Sacrificing that familiarity for a few ounces less weight or a couple inches shorter in axle-to-axle probably isn't worth it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm excited about doing some elk hunting, for the first time, this year. I've even been dreaming about it:asleep:

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
....take what you're comfortable with. Sacrificing that familiarity for a few ounces less weight or a couple inches shorter in axle-to-axle probably isn't worth it.

:thumbs_up

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Hunt with what you shoot well.

Hunt with what ever you shoot the best, and are the most practiced with. Being able to make a shot with nothing but reflexes is important when you have a screaming, grunting, stomping, peeing, 900lb monster coming at you.
Being able to make a clean shot is more important than worrying about a couple of inches, pounds, or FPS.
Here is my old Hoyt. I have been thinking about upgrading to the newer designs, but this one still works just fine. I have a target bow that is the same size, poundage, draw length etc. It is just allot prettier. They shoot and feel the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hunt with what ever you shoot the best, and are the most practiced with. Being able to make a shot with nothing but reflexes is important when you have a screaming, grunting, stomping, peeing, 900lb monster coming at you.
Being able to make a clean shot is more important than worrying about a couple of inches, pounds, or FPS.
Here is my old Hoyt. I have been thinking about upgrading to the newer designs, but this one still works just fine. I have a target bow that is the same size, poundage, draw length etc. It is just allot prettier. They shoot and feel the same.
Thanks Dan:)

·
Smilin' Bob
25,079 Posts
Here is my old Hoyt.
Doesn't look much different than the bows I've used...even if the labels on the limbs were sometimes different.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Ultratec.

Doesn't look much different than the bows I've used...even if the labels on the limbs were sometimes different.
It is an 03 Ultratec. It has been through the ringer. It isn't that slow either. It is kind of heavy, but tough and reliable. I shoot it at 64lbs. It has 7 pins out to 80 yds. It shoots fixed blade broad heads very well.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I had been using an 05 bowtech allegiance. This year I decided to get a new bow so my father in-law could hunt with me. He is getting my allegiance. I decided on a strother Sr-71 with 80# limbs 28 inch draw. With a 415 grain arrow 330 fps.103 #s ke. Enough energy to blow right through an elk shoulder should I ever make a bad shot.
Next year I am getting the 100# limbs. I figured that to be shooting 350 with 133 ke.
I just figured with all the new efficient bows out today that I would take full advantage of it. With this new setup i will have full confidence in my setup. Confidence is key when hunting.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I had been using an 05 bowtech allegiance. This year I decided to get a new bow so my father in-law could hunt with me. He is getting my allegiance. I decided on a strother Sr-71 with 80# limbs 28 inch draw. With a 415 grain arrow 330 fps.103 #s ke. Enough energy to blow right through an elk shoulder should I ever make a bad shot.
Next year I am getting the 100# limbs. I figured that to be shooting 350 with 133 ke.
I just figured with all the new efficient bows out today that I would take full advantage of it. With this new setup i will have full confidence in my setup. Confidence is key when hunting.
Wow 100 # limbs I would hate to be in close to a bull and not beable to pull that back!!!! 70 lbs is good enought for me. Hell my niext bow will be a 50-60 lbs.

·
<--- Finally!!
2,512 Posts
Bow

Here's my Vulcan sitting in the horns of my Bull from '09. Still got my Vulcan as my go to bow, even though I got an Alpha Burner this year. Every time I take out that Vulcan, it feels like an old friend. Smooth and Stable. I could get a new bow, but before I do, I go shoot this one and I can't quite pull the trigger on replacing it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts