Votes: 40 46.5%
  • Smaller binocs

Votes: 5 5.8%
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I'm not looking for any particular brands, just a few different set ups. Would you go with 10x42 binocs and compact spotting scope, 15x56 binocs only, or 10x42 binocs only???

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
Option A or C. I'm currently down to Option B and it's driving me crazy not having my 10x42s around.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Depends on ur time to hunt, and terrain. If ur only hunting 1-2 days then i would say the 10x42 binos and compact spotting scope would be fine. If ur blessed to have 7 or more days, than i would suggest the 15x56 and bigger optics/more weight. Seeing at greater distance is always the advantage, but say, if I see a trophy mule deer at 2.5+ miles across a canyon with my 15x56 Swaros and STS 80 HD spotting scope, it would be all useless and fruitless to attempt to trex after the animal, and relocate a back country campsite if I had no time. Always match your bowhunting with whatever availiable time you are given, thats what will increase your odds for success.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
For a back pack hunt were you are out for 5+ days I would go with just the 10 x 42's. If your trips are shorter then I would say option A.
I know you said 10 to 14 days. Is that in two trips in??

·
Registered
8,122 Posts
i'm taking my spotter and my 10x42's on any mule deer, or back country elk hunt.

·
Registered
8,122 Posts
I prefer 8x42 but I also have a spotter.
i thought about getting some 8x42's for the black timber situations i'm always getting myself into

·
Registered
580 Posts
I picked up a pair of 15x50s thinking that I needed those for the desert but If I could go back would have upgraded my 10x42s.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Not to hijack, but feel my question adds to the original posters question. I am looking at the Vortex viper hd 8x42 or the 10x50 used with a tripod hunting in Nevada, Utah, Idaho. Only 4oz weight difference

I am thinking I can use the 10x50 and skip the spotting scope. I want to keep a 5mm exit pupil.

·
Registered
13,137 Posts
Only 10x42 binocs for me.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,365 Posts
For me, it depends. For elk only I will probably never carry a spotter. But for deer, absolutely 10x42's and spotter. For most of my elk hunting, I use 8x32's because I hardly ever leave the timber.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I'm seriously thinking of buying a spotter this year but mostly for scouting and photography. Probably wont carry during the actual hunt because I can recognize a shooter when I see it-Basically anything legal :)

So I picked C

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
The openness of the terrain is really going to determine if I bring a spotting scope. Mule Deer Country; high desert or alpine, yes.
10x42 for sure on the Binos.

Higher value on the Binos than the Scope.

·
Sponge 4 bowhunting info
11,112 Posts
depends on location and time of hunt. Don't really need either for hunting elk in the rut, just ears. But other times a scope and binos are an absolute must. A scope in densely forested areas is just added weight but in the open country, they're worth their weight in boot leather.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts