Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from Carbondale Co elk hunting. Went by myself and also my first time out. Mustv'e been doing something wrong as I only saw a couple of elk. Probable once in a lifetime hunt for me and was really disappointed. Spent most of the time hunting the white river park. No bugling and not much going on. I hunted hard but to no avail.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Elk

To hunt elk, you need to find major sign and actually see animals. This is obvious and sounds rediculous, but what I mean is dont be afraid to leave to a new spot. In a week I might try 15 areas over hundreds of square miles, whatever my license covers. Forget what you read about elk as pressure makes them turn reclusive in only a couple days. Cover lots of ground, its just a matter of looking early and late in the day in lots of areas. Every unit has a concentration somewhere.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Sorry to hear that. It sounds like you were a bit early on your hunt (no bugling). It was pretty warm this year on my Nevada elk hunt, but 4 days into it the bulls were coming to life. We saw animals every day, but only for an hour or so in the morning and in the evening. There can be a very short window of activity when it's warm.

Is the season in Colorado still open? Any chance that you could go back out for the last weekend of season?

·
Registered
341 Posts
I know what you mean. I hunted the first week of the season and didn't see any elk or hear any. But guess what, My tag is still in my billfold and I'm heading back out next week to try again.:)

·
Registered Elker
7,715 Posts
Odd year herei n CO for sure! I only saw a total of 4 elk before I took mine. Thus far this year I have only seen a total of 9. My game cameras are showing the elk are doing an extreme amount of movement between 11 am and 1 pm during the first 2 weeks. This last weekend was more 12-2:30pm time frame. Bugling has been ridiculously slow in coming. This is first year this century that no one in camp called in a bull in august. I didnt even hear my first bugle till I was gutting my elk out on sept 2.

Last year every wallow in out area had been torn up before season started. This year, I have seen only one so far.

Was just a weird year. Alot of daytime movement too all season. Although they should be getting quite a bit more lively during this next week.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I didn't even get to go this year.

I have gone for the past 3 years and had the best time, I saw hundreds of elk 3 years ago, only a few 2 years ago and got into some real action last year.

I did not get an arrow off on an elk any of the 3 years that I hunted, but I feel confident that I could do it on the next time. It has taken me that long to get the feel of how to hunt them. But even if I don't get a shot off, Colorado Elk hunting is the BEST.

I have taken my son with me for two years now and hope to take my son and daughter with me next year, I love that place. We hunt in south central, around Alamoso. It is trully one of the most beautiful places that God put on this planet.

I will stick to Whitetails around home, Southern Arkansas, this year. Waiting anxiously for the first day of October.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Done something wrong??

Same situation, though I made 4 trips and saw elk..pretty tough for a solo hunter not used to the game or the the country/altitude. I did manage 3 deer in the 4 trips most recently 5 years ago today (easy date to remember).

Hope you make it back eventually..still have to plan on "doin somethin wrong"; it's the nature of the game, even lifelong elk hunters manage that mistake. As above, the biggest problem is finding a herd; can't hunt em till you find em.

Jerry
:sad:

·
Feedback- storyteller_usa
14,370 Posts
I'm leaving out for Colorado on Thurs. for a Elk hunt as well. I hope the cold fronts come in the first part of next week.. If not this trip will be a long one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Colorado

One thing I'll NEVER do again is go on the opening week or two! From now on I'll allways go at the end of September.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I feel your pain. Never again will I go early unless it is the very opening day before they are stirred up. We saw 5 total in a week of full moon and warm days. We covered 2 units and walked our arses off.

I am already planning nect year's hunt.

·
Colorado ELk Hunter
1,859 Posts
Dont rule out the first week

My buddy and i saw lots of bulls last year the first 4 days. this year we connected on two bulls and saw nine in four days. The elk are there if you are seeing sign. If i can give any advice to bowhunters that hunt the first week is to get Jim Horn's "Early season elk tactics". Im telling you it works, if there are elk around they will come. They all come in silent but they do come in. We have used it the last two years and its like we have opened pandoras box. All you hear is a twig snap or a branch break and thats your only clue they are coming in but they do. We also used decoys. They worked like a champ too. the only difference we made from last year to this year is the decoys and we both took elk within the first 3 days. No one has molested them. They arent used to calling, they havent associated calling with humans yet. You get first crack at them and they are not far from the forest roads. The week before we went scouting and counted 8 bulls and 3 cows within 250 yards of the road. When we hunted it was only a 1/2 mile from the road. It can be done and we love it but you gotta know there are elk in your area.

good luck.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I was trying to plan a trip to the Steamboat area of CO for the early season but it got bumped to Nov 2nd. Sounds like it was for the best.

While I am sorry to hear you didn’t get the bull you were looking for. You could however look at it this way, you just spent a few days in one of the most beautiful places in the United States, the mountains of CO. That can’t be all bad.

Tim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts