Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got back from hunting a week in illinois. had a very nice 140 class 9 ptr. in my lap the very first evening.(only 8 yds.) i let him pass in hopes of sticking a ten ptr. that had been seen in the area. the 9 ptr. was the only shooter i would see. it got hot and the deer stopped moving. moral of the story: if you're gonna spend money to shoot a deer, shoot a deer!! :D

·
Registered
247 Posts
Bitter sweet ain't it? If you do take the shot, then it's what if "I had waited"
Better luck on the next one.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I know what you mean bout the weather, I havent went out once yet, cause its been in the mid 70's
it sucks

·
Registered
92 Posts
Adam,

We are fixing to come right through you on our way to Marshall COunty. We hunt a week in OCTOBER and one week in NOVEMBER...tend to like Nov better :O).........

We have Illinois footage on our videos from Lacon, just east of the Illinois river...I think you can look at the hunt a few ways...

I paid for our lease..under 1k per person, and was able to take a 150 7/8 gross buck, then again i pulled the bow back "once" last year and all i got for that was a nice 4 inch tree!! lol... Funny how they appear as ya release! I enjoyed every minute of every hunt for basically 14 days, I spent quality time with people i like, had the dream/ opportunity that maybe it may happen again! Saw a MOOSE, at least a 170"..but too far....and just plain ol got rid of work, thoughts from people i truely hate, and didnt hear a DAMN telephone for a week or so!

Thats worth a few $$$$$

Remember ya never know when your in a place where the P&Y bucks are many! I love it, and cant wait till the 22nd......and then again the 8th of Nov<<<sweet!...

www.indiancreekbowhunters.com
come see us

·
74,535 Posts
Illinois

If Im going to Illinois and have its going to be first two weeks of Nov. Colder weather and the bucks are hot.

I passed several 120 class last year only to take small 6ptr last morning hunt last year. Still just fun to see some of them bruisers from a distance. 138 lb field dresssed doe was fun.

Illinois is something special for sure.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
i will be in ILL.the first week of nov. i cant wait :D hope the weather gets cold :D

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I will be hunting in Ill almost everyday possible Hoping to take that big 170 class 10 point tomorrow . Gonna need all the luck I can get. LOL

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
LOL

Well it sucks that you didnt get anything but atleast you had fun.....But I tell ya what, you'll never see ol J-Daddy let a 140" deer walk off at 8yards unless there's a 150" right behind him....LOL.....I would have dropped the hammer on that one.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Ya know the funny thing is.. a 140 class deer in our area is a buck ya think twice about.. its great ! I ROUTINELY see 140 class 8pts.. there is an EXCELLENT deer ratio in norther illinos where i hunt, last year i wacked a buck (which i recently got scored) that went 171 3/4 gross, and netted 167 3/4 (dang kicker points).. When i shot him, he was about the 4th largest buck i had seen that day!!!!!!!.... I tell ya.. every few years or so there is a 195+ inch typical running around up here, my uncle missed one, that i personally thing would have scored over 205 TYPICAL, he's got him on the game tracker, looked a LOT lick the wayne zaft buck.. cept wider, Got to love illinois, but my personaly favortie is hunting the west central portion of wisconsin, the jackson trempelau corners so famous up there for MONSTER Bucks.. up there you have to have a 150class or better to get in the to 15 n the county buck pool!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I lived in DeKalb for awhile and my wife and I drove to Rockford to kill a Saturday and saw about 15 deer holed up in this guy's backyard right off the interstate. It was January and deep snow at the time.

Up there it seems like you have to hunt the cover.

Down here we have lots of cover - we hunt the food sources.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Got that right.. everywhere is food.. i hunting bedding areas 90% of the season, i only hunt food sources during late season when its butt freezin cold because they are easier to predict then. otherwise its like looking for a needle in a stack of needles

1 - 11 of 11 Posts