Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good weather, good ranges, good friends, priceless. Had a great time, hope everyone gets home safe.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I shot with some WV neighbors of yours. Good people...

·
Bow Only
9,577 Posts
I had a freakin blast...being my first Asa it was everything and more I could of wanted it to be....best ran 3d ive ever attended. I shot really good personally...looking at all the other scores it doesn't look that great lol

I met a ton of great people. And picked up a few new goodies.

Cant wait til metropolis! !

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
amazing how they shift around ranges and shoot times to take care of 1600+ shooters. Then they have scores posted on sight almost as soon as you get off the course.

·
Registered
11,968 Posts
There were 1714 registered for London. Great shoot. Everything great....cept that dang Simms.

Next stop for me...Anderson and Regions.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Yup, 1714 registered shooters PLUS over 200 scholastic shooters for a total just under 2000 !!! --- Thataway to go ASA !!!

·
Roll Tide
2,687 Posts
There sure were a lot of people there. I was so glad to see that I wasn't going to be on that powerline this go around. We were down in the flat zone on ranges G & H. OVERALL I do think things went okay considering the amount of people there. But it wasn't flawless or kink free by any means. I do have a couple complaints which is unusual for me to complain at all.

1. I understand that with all the people, that they tried to make things go as smoothly as possible. There were a lot of us sharing the same ranges and thus delays do happen. On Saturday, Open C was scheduled to shoot at 3. There was a delay due to other classes being on the ranges. We were set back to 3:30 then when 3:30 came and went, we were just sitting out there waiting. And waiting. I was on G range for the afternoon...and the class that was on H range when we got there, finished up sooner. So the Open C guys that were starting their afternoon round on H got to go ahead and start shooting. The rest of us that were still waiting to go on G range, had to wait quite a while longer. It was around 5 o clock when we were able to go onto our range...a 2 hour delay. Needless to say, this had a lot of cranky people from the get go. One guy that was in my group got tired of waiting and said he was going home and sure enough he packed his stuff and left without even shooting his second round.

2. Due to the 2 hour delay...we finished up in the dark. When my group handed in our score cards, it was 8:25 p.m. We had been there all day...we all had the 8 o clock shoot time that morning...then the afternoon round too. When we hit those last 5 or 6 targets, it was so dark in the woods you could barely make out the form of the targets with the naked eye. There was no prayer in seeing score rings or even the other arrows in the targets. We were just shooting in the general direction of the targets and hoping we hit foam. Those last 5 targets made me drop a good deal of points. Just couldn't see the targets through the scope. I was 14 up with 5 targets to go and shot 3 eights in a row. Ended that round with 8 up after shooting 16 up on the other. I still wouldn't have made podium if I would have finished with that 14 up but would have finished better than where I did.

There were a lot of contributors to these delays. Some of it was just part of the growing pains I guess. There were so many people that we had 5 to a stake during the morning round. This started the whole delay process...we delayed the 11 o clock people...which in turn, delayed everybody else. The other thing was there were a few groups moving super slow...well over the time limits. I am a little irritated that our group was one of them. We had a guy in ours that would let down on every target he shot. He let down on one target 6 times and still shot an 8 on it. We were holding the groups to our left and right up. The rest of us shot decently fast...but with him taking so long it had the groups on both sides of us waiting on us so they could go score arrows. We politely reminded him that there was a time limit for shooting and he basically told us "f you...I paid my money to shoot and I'm gonna take my time shooting". When the range official came by, we got his attention and he stopped and watched the guy while he would pull back...hold...hold...let down. Look at the target some more...pull back....hold...hold...let down. The range official started timing him after he had watched him let down and I know he had to have been at the stake a good 2 minutes or better prior to timing him. When he finished shooting we all looked at the official and he just nodded his head and walked off down the line. There were a lot of unhappy folks walking off that range that evening. I know you can't please everybody and they done a good job overall. But some of it could have been addressed...especially if the range officials would have been enforcing some of the rules to make sure the flow was going good and smooth.

They are gonna have to come up with some solutions for the growing number of people. Either add a couple of ranges or add another day to the shoot weekend. I know more people are shooting on Friday to keep from having to shoot 2 rounds in a day...that may have to be a mandatory thing vs an optional thing. I think at the next one, I might go for that option myself.

·
Registered
11,968 Posts
The other thing was there were a few groups moving super slow...well over the time limits. I am a little irritated that our group was one of them. We had a guy in ours that would let down on every target he shot. He let down on one target 6 times and still shot an 8 on it. We were holding the groups to our left and right up. The rest of us shot decently fast...but with him taking so long it had the groups on both sides of us waiting on us so they could go score arrows. We politely reminded him that there was a time limit for shooting and he basically told us "f you...I paid my money to shoot and I'm gonna take my time shooting". When the range official came by, we got his attention and he stopped and watched the guy while he would pull back...hold...hold...let down. Look at the target some more...pull back....hold...hold...let down. The range official started timing him after he had watched him let down and I know he had to have been at the stake a good 2 minutes or better prior to timing him. When he finished shooting we all looked at the official and he just nodded his head and walked off down the line. There were a lot of unhappy folks walking off that range that evening. I know you can't please everybody and they done a good job overall. But some of it could have been addressed...especially if the range officials would have been enforcing some of the rules to make sure the flow was going good and smooth.

ASA needs to look at speeding up the process. Its good your group called that guy out on exceeding his time, but you'll see that in almost every class and it isn't going to get better until the groups step up and start calling it. Maybe ASA needs to put the entire group on notice if the group is falling behind. The group then might be willing to call a violation on the one guilty party.

·
Roll Tide
2,687 Posts
Out of curiosity, can the group itself score a zero for a person in violation of going over the time limit or is that something only the range officials can do? Its no big deal for a person to let down on a target every now and then. But this guy was doing it every target, and multiple times per target. He was a real snippy guy anyway. He said that when we started paying his entry fees, that we could tell him how fast he could shoot. If the groups can make the call for a zero...then I could see some altercations taking place on the ranges. LOL. This guy threw a cussing fit at the last target and said he would never be back to another ASA. I hope he keeps to his word.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Mike T will be having stakes for dinner for a long time thanks to all of your support
I dont know if he wants to eat a stake....might be a little too grainy. ...lol......now a steak. ...I bet he would go for that....

Just wanted to bust ya hump.....lol... great event....wonderful job

·
Bow Only
9,577 Posts
There sure were a lot of people there. I was so glad to see that I wasn't going to be on that powerline this go around. We were down in the flat zone on ranges G & H. OVERALL I do think things went okay considering the amount of people there. But it wasn't flawless or kink free by any means. I do have a couple complaints which is unusual for me to complain at all.

1. I understand that with all the people, that they tried to make things go as smoothly as possible. There were a lot of us sharing the same ranges and thus delays do happen. On Saturday, Open C was scheduled to shoot at 3. There was a delay due to other classes being on the ranges. We were set back to 3:30 then when 3:30 came and went, we were just sitting out there waiting. And waiting. I was on G range for the afternoon...and the class that was on H range when we got there, finished up sooner. So the Open C guys that were starting their afternoon round on H got to go ahead and start shooting. The rest of us that were still waiting to go on G range, had to wait quite a while longer. It was around 5 o clock when we were able to go onto our range...a 2 hour delay. Needless to say, this had a lot of cranky people from the get go. One guy that was in my group got tired of waiting and said he was going home and sure enough he packed his stuff and left without even shooting his second round.

2. Due to the 2 hour delay...we finished up in the dark. When my group handed in our score cards, it was 8:25 p.m. We had been there all day...we all had the 8 o clock shoot time that morning...then the afternoon round too. When we hit those last 5 or 6 targets, it was so dark in the woods you could barely make out the form of the targets with the naked eye. There was no prayer in seeing score rings or even the other arrows in the targets. We were just shooting in the general direction of the targets and hoping we hit foam. Those last 5 targets made me drop a good deal of points. Just couldn't see the targets through the scope. I was 14 up with 5 targets to go and shot 3 eights in a row. Ended that round with 8 up after shooting 16 up on the other. I still wouldn't have made podium if I would have finished with that 14 up but would have finished better than where I did.

There were a lot of contributors to these delays. Some of it was just part of the growing pains I guess. There were so many people that we had 5 to a stake during the morning round. This started the whole delay process...we delayed the 11 o clock people...which in turn, delayed everybody else. The other thing was there were a few groups moving super slow...well over the time limits. I am a little irritated that our group was one of them. We had a guy in ours that would let down on every target he shot. He let down on one target 6 times and still shot an 8 on it. We were holding the groups to our left and right up. The rest of us shot decently fast...but with him taking so long it had the groups on both sides of us waiting on us so they could go score arrows. We politely reminded him that there was a time limit for shooting and he basically told us "f you...I paid my money to shoot and I'm gonna take my time shooting". When the range official came by, we got his attention and he stopped and watched the guy while he would pull back...hold...hold...let down. Look at the target some more...pull back....hold...hold...let down. The range official started timing him after he had watched him let down and I know he had to have been at the stake a good 2 minutes or better prior to timing him. When he finished shooting we all looked at the official and he just nodded his head and walked off down the line. There were a lot of unhappy folks walking off that range that evening. I know you can't please everybody and they done a good job overall. But some of it could have been addressed...especially if the range officials would have been enforcing some of the rules to make sure the flow was going good and smooth.

They are gonna have to come up with some solutions for the growing number of people. Either add a couple of ranges or add another day to the shoot weekend. I know more people are shooting on Friday to keep from having to shoot 2 rounds in a day...that may have to be a mandatory thing vs an optional thing. I think at the next one, I might go for that option myself.
I was there on G as well Saturday afternoon.

and your right it was DARK heard a lot of complaints about that as well

and your right about moving it along....boy oh boy some people/groups take FOREVER! on our 2 hr delay I overheard a younger shooter bragging (why i don't know) about how he had to let down 6 times...yes 6 times....im pretty sure theres a rule in there about that...
I walked up the power lines and over heard a few said it was better then most years, that the stakes were farther into the woods.

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
Out of curiosity, can the group itself score a zero for a person in violation of going over the time limit or is that something only the range officials can do? Its no big deal for a person to let down on a target every now and then. But this guy was doing it every target, and multiple times per target. He was a real snippy guy anyway. He said that when we started paying his entry fees, that we could tell him how fast he could shoot. If the groups can make the call for a zero...then I could see some altercations taking place on the ranges. LOL. This guy threw a cussing fit at the last target and said he would never be back to another ASA. I hope he keeps to his word.
Shame, it's not often you run across someone like this, nearly all I've shot with have been great. Range official needs to be told, then he will put them on the clock. My experience has been unless there is an empty lane after him they won't do much, no where to go anyway. Calling him out on it doesn't usually help, I'd have to see someone showing their arse first then I'd comment.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I dont know if he wants to eat a stake....might be a little too grainy. ...lol......now a steak. ...I bet he would go for that....

Just wanted to bust ya hump.....lol... great event....wonderful job

Yea your right you got me on my typo......London is always a great event and glad this weekend went well and people had fun

Good job ASA

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I didn't think the late g range moved overly slow but it could be way better. Our group was fast and we all took our time, let down when needed and had fun.When we got to the stake we all ranged the target/ set sights while first guy was up. We were ready on our turn and didn't dilly dally. But it was for nothing we just waited more.
I watched several guys bino the target/ range the target/set sight / bino again/ nock arrow/bino again/ 2-3 let downs/ then shoot/ bino again at the stake.
I did see the range official talk to 2 groups.
Still was a great shoot had a blast.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
I didn't think the late g range moved overly slow but it could be way better. Our group was fast and we all took our time, let down when needed and had fun.When we got to the stake we all ranged the target/ set sights while first guy was up. We were ready on our turn and didn't dilly dally. But it was for nothing we just waited more.
I watched several guys bino the target/ range the target/set sight / bino again/ nock arrow/bino again/ 2-3 let downs/ then shoot/ bino again at the stake.
I did see the range official talk to 2 groups.

Still was a great shoot had a blast.
Someone should say something......against the rules to glass the target after you shot....

·
Roll Tide
2,687 Posts
There were a few less shooters on G range in the afternoon and it did go faster than the morning round. Several people opted to shoot Friday evening and so they were only on the ranges Saturday morning and didn't have to be there Sat evening. Some people went home too without shooting a second round. The problem wasn't the overall speed of the shooting...it was the late start that had us finishing in the dark. Our group was fast except one person. We had 4 in our group on G range Sat evening and the groups to either side of us, had 5 people in them...and they were always finished shooting and waiting on us to be clear so they could score arrows. It was all because of that one guy in our group that kept letting down. The group to our left had finished shooting and was waiting and we still had 2 people that hadn't shot yet...they asked us if they could go pull arrows real fast so they could jump ahead to the next target. There was an empty lane to their left. We let them go pull and by the time it was over, they had put two empty lanes between us and them. I don't know why the range official didn't say anything....unless he did when we didn't see him do it. Maybe that's what the guy was so bitter about when he was left and prompted the cussing fit. I dunno. If he would have said G.D. one more time, I was about to take my backbar off and lay him out cold with 9 ounces of weight. I was tired of his mouth.

·
Registered
155 Posts
There were a few less shooters on G range in the afternoon and it did go faster than the morning round. Several people opted to shoot Friday evening and so they were only on the ranges Saturday morning and didn't have to be there Sat evening. Some people went home too without shooting a second round. The problem wasn't the overall speed of the shooting...it was the late start that had us finishing in the dark. Our group was fast except one person. We had 4 in our group on G range Sat evening and the groups to either side of us, had 5 people in them...and they were always finished shooting and waiting on us to be clear so they could score arrows. It was all because of that one guy in our group that kept letting down. The group to our left had finished shooting and was waiting and we still had 2 people that hadn't shot yet...they asked us if they could go pull arrows real fast so they could jump ahead to the next target. There was an empty lane to their left. We let them go pull and by the time it was over, they had put two empty lanes between us and them. I don't know why the range official didn't say anything....unless he did when we didn't see him do it. Maybe that's what the guy was so bitter about when he was left and prompted the cussing fit. I dunno. If he would have said G.D. one more time, I was about to take my backbar off and lay him out cold with 9 ounces of weight. I was tired of his mouth.
Why didn't your group say something? It's within your rights. If more groups would police their own it would help tremendously but most are too timid.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
way I see it is that ranges are going to slow down when you load them up. Unless someone is getting ridiculoulsy slow I'm not saying anything. Ranges I shot didn't seem to be moving any slower than they ever do. Hate to hear that some people had issues but that is the way it goes sometimes. Still better than sitting at the house and trying to hear about it on the internet like I normally do.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts