Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all thanks to all of you that gave me advice about hog hunting. I chose to go to Wilderness Hunting Lodge in TN.

We arrived Tueseday afternoon to the beautiful lodge. It was the new lodge and decked out. It is cleaned everyday day by a couple of local ladies.

As soon as we got settled in two of the guides, took us around the 1100 acre preserve, to show us the lay of the land. It was a great way to start the trip, the guides did not have to do that, but they are really nice people and will do anything to make you have better hunt.

Wedsday morning we woke up, my buddy, brother-in-law, father, and I. My buddy and I were bowhunting, spot and stalk, and the other two were gun hunting, ground blind.

My buddy and I soon realized that these hogs were exteremly good at blending in with the terrian and do not put up with being stalked. To make a long story short we walked up and down ridges all day and attempted several stalks, one included m buddy getting charged.

Finally in late afternoon, and cramping from walking so much, we located a group of Russians. The wind was in our favor, so my buddy came down the ridge from one side and I from the other. we got about twenty yards away and one stood up, looked at me and grunted. I drew and put a arrow right in the boiler room. The hog stumbled and fell down the ridge, at the same time another stood up and my buddy put two in him. Nerves got the best of him and the first was a gut shot and the other was in the boiler room. At this time we went over the next ridge, just to ensure we would not get in trouble with the other hogs around. When the guides arrived they estimated mine at about 225 and my buddies at about 200. My boar did not have big tusks, so I am still up in the air about getting him mounted or not. I might wait until I go again and see if I can get one with bigger ones.

I will tell you what, even though this was a preserve hunt, it was still a great challenge, I have never worked so hard at a hunt in my life. Today is Friday and my legs are still sore. I went into the hunt thinking that it might be a little of a challenge, but I had no idea it would be as hard and as much fun as it was. The boars know the game and know how to beat it. I will also be honest and say that some of the hogs were somewhat tame. We actaully had a couple that walked right by us. I do not know if these are the ones that just got released into the preserve or what. I will also say that I do not know if I shot one that just got release or not, being that he had samll tuskes and all. The tusks were about two inches long on the bottom and roughly the same on the top. All I know is that we worked hard at it and finally made a stalk that worked out.

Now for the reviews of the outfitter. The guides were excellent, the food was awesome, and everyone was extremely nice. They really do have the attitude, it is your land do what you want with it. OUr main guide was Todd. He went out of his way to help my brother-in-law and father out. My father was the only one who did not take a boar.

The things that concerned me about the preserve was that they allow both gun and bow hunters in the same area, they make everyone wear blaze orange, but it still concerned me a little. I also seen alot of dead hogs within the preserve, do not know what that was from, none of them seemed to have wounds in them.

Overall I would say that I would go back. I just wanted to thank you guys for your help and give you a review. I am computer ignorate, so I will have to wait until my life downloads the pics to post them.

·
Registered
10,763 Posts
Congrats on your hogs! Your hog is definatly a mounter its tusks will not be mounted ,as they will crack and look bad in a short time .Most hog mounts have syntetic tusks put in that is the standard mount .

As for the dead hogs .You arrived there in the late winter early spring it is the time of year hogs get pnumonia because of wet conditions and riseing and falling temps .No worry with it .I have seen this at this time of year in wild as well as farm herds of hogs ! That is why I like to hunt hogs in the mid winter as the temps are constant!I would not let it worry me at all mother nature is cruel!:)

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya I am new hog hunting, I just didn't know about what might have caused the hogs to die. I figured it wasn't anything to bad because I told the guides about it and they didn't seem to worried. I do know this, one of them that I found made my heart jump in my throat. I was stalking through some of the huge rocks outcroppings on the property, peeking over them and such, when I looked around one, all I seen was a big baor a**, I quickly backed up. After wtaching the hog for awhile and not seeing it move, I approach and found out it was dead, but I was a little bit nervous when I first saw it. if there is one thing I learned on my first hog hunt, is that you do not want to surprise them when you are in close proximity.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Sounds like a good time. Congrats.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is my hog, I am the one on the right. They judged mine at approx. 225, but I think he probably wouldn't go that much. The pictures aren't the best because we had some drama right before. Our guide went to flip my buddies boar over and the broadhead that was sticking out of the baor caught the guide in the leg. It was a three blade 100 grain magnus, the guide kinda freaked out but it ended up only being a little cut, it was serious though because where it caught him was right by the femor artery. If it would have stuck in we would have had a crisis on hand. Any here are the pics.

183[1].JPG

·
Registered
545 Posts
Nice pork, Congrats. Glad you had a good time!

·
74,535 Posts
Very nice

Cant wait to chase those hogs around this May.

My first hog hunt ever.
DB

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
I would like to go on a hog hunt next year, I have never been. Would you recommend Wilderness Lodge for an archery hunt?

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Where abouts in Tennessee is that? It's looking like a lot of my time is gonna be spent in the Nashville area and I don't think I'll be too close to any hogs in that area : (

·
Registered
393 Posts
Wilderness Hunting Lodge is near Monterrey Tn, about 90 miles east of Nashville. I 've hunted there 3 times {about a thousand miles from St. Paul Mn.} with my son. What has been said is true, All hills and rock out croppings, great spot for archery hunting, very hospitable people working there,laid back atmosphere, hunt as hard or as easy as you want, and any way that you want, with guides or on your own. I'm headed back again in October with a group of friends.http://www.wildernesshuntinglodge.com/

·
Registered
835 Posts
Thanks for the info/pics. I live in Western, NC and I may have to make a trip there with my daughter.

On the website it says that they will field dress the boar for you. Did you have them butcher and package it as well? If so, do you recall how much you paid and did they put it in freezer wrap or did they vacuum seal it in plastic?

THANKS FOR THE GREAT REPORT AND CONGRATULATIONS!

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Thanks for the info man... the gf goes to school in Cookeville so we'll have to see. You know if there is any public out around there?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would like to go on a hog hunt next year, I have never been. Would you recommend Wilderness Lodge for an archery hunt?
I would recommend Wilderness. The guides are awesome and the food is great. Like I said for a preserve hunt, it was quite a challenge. It was 1100 acres of hills, valleys, and rock outcroppings. The guides will let you hunt how you want, they will not pressure you into any type of hunting you do not want to do to get their money. If you don't get a baor the ay you want than you don't pay, except for the lodging cost. Speaking of lodging it was awesome as well. If you have any other questions just let me know I will answer the best I can.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts