Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need you opinions.

Getting back into archery after about 10 years. One shop in my area the owner recommended one of the low end PSE models. His argument was since I am new to the new technology I really don't know what I want, use this bow for a year. Next year sell it and spend the bucks on what I really want at that point in time.

I appreciated him not trying to sell me something I might not need but ...

I have some distant relatives who recommend that I should go with the "better" items on the market ... Matthews, Hoyt, Bowtech ... as the quality and performance is worth it. If I don't like what I get, sell it next year as well.

Have the money to go "high end". But still don't like to throw it around if not needed.

Apreciate your opinions.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
my .02 cents

I'll give you the standard answer. You're going to have to go shoot a bunch of diiferent bows and find out what fits you best (grip probably being the most important). I for one will disagree with your shop owner. High end bows can be very forgiving. Try and keep the ATA above 35" and brace height above 7" and you'll be okay. Not saying that shorter ATA bows aren't good shooters they are just a little harder to shoot well and can discourage someone new or just getting back into the sport. I'd also stay away from draw length specific bows unless you have that dialed in from your last experience. I recently had a friend get back into compounds after a 3 year hiatus because of shoulder problems and he ended having to buy a new cam because he needed a 1" longer draw length. Finally don't cheap the options; ie rest, sight and quiver. Good luck and welcome back to archery.

·
32,707 Posts
It depends on how serious you are about getting back into archery. If you know you are going to be shooting from now on and want a good bow then go for the high end bows. If there is any doubt then go for a entry level bow. I think you would be better off to go ahead and get the Hoyt, Mathews or Bowtech now and not waste the money on a bow you will be discarding in no time. Also, the new bows will be coming out in a few months so you might want to hold off till then. Good luck!

·
Registered
13,494 Posts
bows

ck out the bows f/s here at AT..you can git high end at low end price...just ask good & lots of questions.....

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
I think thats great advice, but what I would recommend is get good accessories so you can move it over to a better bow when you get it. If you bought a low end pse and spent $200 for the bare bow and put quality accessories on it, what is the most you can lose? not much. however if you go and buy an expensive bow for say $700 and sell it next year because it is just not right for you or your just not that in to archery good luck getting $400 or so for it.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
My .02

I'd look at some of the Darton bows. I have found out that I can shoot them as good or better than the Hoyt, Matthews, Bowtech(the big 3). Hoyt utilizes virtually the same cam system as Darton as are alot of other manufacturers...the main thing is shoot alot of different bows paying no attention to price whatever feels best to YOU not what anyone tells you.
The Dartons however are quite a bit cheaper and offer alot of bang for the buck! Dont be afraid of their Customer Service b-cause I have heard 95% say that it is unparalleled. I just sold a Hoyt Ultra-tec and am going to buy a bow in the next few days , and am leaning strongly towards the Darton, I've shot the Bowtechs, Hoyts, Mathews "switchback", and Parkers. The drawcycle is so smooth on the Dartons. Whatever you choose let it be your choice.

·
Spot Shooter
2,128 Posts
I'm not mentioning any names.

As mentioned go out and shoot as many as you can get your hands on. You will be able to tell which ones feel good to you. Take the ones that do feel good and shoot them against each other. Like mentioned longer ATA's and brace height make them more forgiving most of the time. Many brands have some great mid priced bows. Unless you are 100% sure you are going to really get into some serious shooting the mid priced bow will be fine.

How good were you before you took a break from archery? It's like riding a bike. If you were pretty good back then it won't take much to get started.

Enjoy the ride. :D

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Hi!

Why not check out the Classifieds here on AT?

There are some really good folks there and LOTS of high and mid end bows on sale which should give you more for your $$$! :D Just be sure to check feedback in the Traders' Feedback section first and ask as many questions that need asking.

However, if you can benefit from the advise and assistance of a good proshop, don;t hesitate to patronise one. You spend more, but the experience, service and expertise offered to you can be invaluable and the relationship you build may work to your benefit in the long run. You will also be helping good guys earn a decent living!

CHEERS! ;)

·
Registered
104 Posts
PSE?....No I wouldnt get that low on a start up rig :wink:
Why would you want to start off in the ditch just to have and start all over again next year because you went basement production the first go around?.

There are very good bows that are not through the roof in price.

Darton was one mention,there are more as well.

Stay out of pro shops like mine :wink:
We are out to make a living and we are going to sell you what ever we can talk you into. :mg:

Find out what is right for you FIRST...Then come to us :teeth:
We will offer you service and we really do need your buisness :tongue:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts