Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
11,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a second target to add to my 3 D target range today and built a nice stainless frame to serve as a backstop to catch arrows that miss a target. (I was shooting at 50 yards so give me a break) I got my hands on some HDPE landfill liner material. I figured it would hold an arrow back at that distance, nope I had an arrow go thru. It was just on the other side I had no problem finding the arrow. I just don't want to tear flechings off . Is there a better material to use like landscape fabric? The backstop is 5x5 approx.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I shot at a comforter that was just hanging by the top edge. It cant be stretched tight or the arrows just go through. but if its hanging loose it obsorbs the impact quite well.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
some of the local 3d ranges use 3 or 4 pieces of old carpet just attached to the top. When an arrow hits it, the carpet will move and the arrow will stick in about half way

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Forgot to add, you need to hang them in mid air behind the target so the material moves some to absorb the arrow's energy.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I use conveyor belt rubber from a power plant coal handling operation, my brother gets it for me. The arrows usually bounce right off, if they do penetrate, only the tip of the arrow goes in, maybe 1/2 inch at the most. Works great if you can get your hands on some.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
straw! very cheap and stops very well

·
Registered
51 Posts
Farm supply stores have rubber "Horse Stall Mats" that work very well. Harder then heck to pull strays out of though... but it makes you try harder not to miss!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts