Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried shooting a back tension release for the first time tonight. I was shooting a TRU Tension Ultra 3. I have been shooting a Scott Mongoose release for years, and have recently started triggering it with back tension, with mixed results. I was wondering if you guys could help me learn to shoot back tension properly, before i get into any bad habits. I noticed tonight, that I was trying to use both shoulders to trigger the release. I got a bad, low, left jump with the bow every time I shot. On a three finger release, do you keep steady pressure on the index finger, and pull the release with the other two ?? Or do you relax the index finger smomewhat as you pull tension on the other two fingers. I seemed to have the best shooting if I relaxed my index finger as I rolled my shoulder down. If I didn't relax the index finger, the release didn't want to pivot enough to release. Any insight would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks
Kent

·
Registered
1,694 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link.

I read on the link that the bow going low and left is normal. I have shot with a trigger release so long, and got accustomed to the bow staying still after the shot, that it just doesn't seem right when the bow moves when I release. Any more advice out there ?

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
do a search in the archives on "back tension". There is a ton of stuff here. Also, http://www.robinhoodvideos.com/prod04.htm has some good videos that will get you started.

your best bet is to find someone who fully understands the process, but if that is not possible, the above suggestions will help.

also, try contacting only your release side of your back, not your bow arm side. and think of your three fingers next to your index finger as kinda like a water-fall. let your entire hand relax and those three fingers will cascade toward your drawing elbow. your index finger will relax as well. practice this at close range without a target for a few days. once you get the feel, put all the attention on the target and just aim while you relax your hand and contract one side of your back. that is the basics; from there you will polish this process.

good shooting.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks OX

I have been working with the release, and it seems to work well, the way you told me. If I let my fingers relax, they roll the release very nicely. If I don't relax my fingers, the solid back wall on my patriot, just doesn't budge, no matter how hard I pull. When I get a good, surprise release, it feels more like a smooth roll, instead of an artery popping pull. I've learned a lot on here, and it just keeps coming !!

Thanks
Kent

·
X's R Us
3,458 Posts
If you want to learn. I would find someone that can show you in person. Otherwise some pictures maybe helpful. Try not squeezing both shoulder blades. Just the release arm one. The bowarm side should be as relaxed as possible. Then just relax your release arm. You'll use back tension to keep the string from creeping. The release should rotate in your relaxed hand. Don't puposely think about rotating the release. Shoot blank bale if you have to get the feel of the release.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts