Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking at releases and was wondering if i should go with a back tension. I'm new to hunting and would like some input. As of right now, i wont have a bow for another two months, but i think i'm going with the AM 32.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am sure somebody will disagree but most will tell you a BT is a bad idea for hunting. Timing of the shot is too critical. Plus form problems caused by tree stands, angles, shooting around a tree limb or whatever could easily cause one (an arrow) to get away before you are ready.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, thats enough to know i probably shouldnt shoot BT then, thanks

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
I am sure somebody will disagree but most will tell you a BT is a bad idea for hunting. Timing of the shot is too critical. Plus form problems caused by tree stands, angles, shooting around a tree limb or whatever could easily cause one (an arrow) to get away before you are ready.
+1
I agree.
There are several who do shoot a hinge for hunting though.

Lien2

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
taken deer ...

... with back tension hinge release. I switched back to a trigger style. I like more control of the shot when hunting. You can still use 'back tension' with a trigger. I find that it helps.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
You have to weigh the advantages and disadvantages. I have hunted with most styles of releases and feel that a hook release is best for me. It has no moving parts, fires off rotation just like a hinge jaw. Its gives me confidence like no other piece of archery equipment.

To date I've shot all of my best critters with the hook release. I've been able to make much better shots with it than I was able to with a trigger.

I practice so that my release goes off in a 1-2 second window. Its very rare that I need to shoot faster than this. If I do need to punch a shot through a small window very quickly, the truth is that its probably a low % anyways. That is a shot I am willing to pass so that I am able to make my best shots on the other 90% of my opportunities.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Its all personal. If you feel confident and consistent with a true back tension hinge release there is no reason not to hunt with it. I prefer a strap style index finger or thumb style and try to set them off using back tension style. I have more control with these releases which can be good and bad for some. Im personally not consistent enough with a back tension from shot to shot getting the release to fire to feel confident enough in the hunting woods with one at this time. Im still working with a back tension hinge thou, and down the road who knows maybe I will take one into the woods!

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
Its possible that you should look into a thumb trigger release.

I shoot a hinge for indoor spot shooting and a thumb trigger for outdoor and 3d.

I shoot the two releases the same way but I find when I am shooting in high wind that a trigger is a very good thing to have, and be able to "crush" properly.

Hunting, to me would be no different. If you have a good long time to go through a PROPER shot sequence, then by all means shoot with a hinge release. Your accuracy would be wonderful! However, in many cases we are not that fortunate.

A thumb would give you the best of both worlds so to speak.

Good luck!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
is the carter squeeze me a hinge release?

if not, can someone show me what one is

·
Registered
14,403 Posts

The Squeeze me is not a hinge. Its a newer style of back tension release that uses springs to allow the release jaw to dump as the archer increases tension (holding weight of the bow at full draw).

Hinge jaw releases use cams or half moon pieces of steel and work with rotation. As the archer's hand rotates (causing the release body to rotate) the jaw rotates around the cam. It does so until it reaches the flat spot in the cam, at which point the hook dumps and the release fires. Their speed (faster or slower) is adjusted by adjusting the position of the half moon.

Here is a link to one of Carter's true hinge releases, the Atension:

http://www.carterenterprises.com/products/atension.htm

·
Registered
521 Posts

the squeeze me is a pressure release you squeeze the trigger wkile drawing the bow when you anchor you release the trigger and start squeezing your back muscles together until the release fires this is a hinge release

3910059.gif

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
okat, new question, what release do you use when hunting?

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I hunt with the TruBall Stinger. I have found that works best for me when hunting. I know some guys dont like wrist releases when hunting but I do because then I know where my release is located when I need it intead of looking all over for it. I have done that once and never again.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
You have to weigh the advantages and disadvantages. I have hunted with most styles of releases and feel that a hook release is best for me. It has no moving parts, fires off rotation just like a hinge jaw. Its gives me confidence like no other piece of archery equipment.

To date I've shot all of my best critters with the hook release. I've been able to make much better shots with it than I was able to with a trigger.

I practice so that my release goes off in a 1-2 second window. Its very rare that I need to shoot faster than this. If I do need to punch a shot through a small window very quickly, the truth is that its probably a low % anyways. That is a shot I am willing to pass so that I am able to make my best shots on the other 90% of my opportunities.
I agree completely!!

I use a Carter Colby with the Spike head.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am going to try the Carter Evolution + this year I have always used a Scott Mongoose but I love my Evolution. I have been shooting uphill, downhill on my knees, side hill... anything I can think of and I have been able to shoot pretty consistent.I like the safety for letting down.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts