Archery Talk Forum banner

back tension question

848 Views 11 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  r2t2
since my learning of new release with back tension ive noticed some varied times in the release going, ill only just begin aiming and bam its gone, n other times it will take a few seconds longer, and yet other times i have to let down cuz it is taking way to long. im pretty sure this is normal as im still getting used to it, but i cant help but feel my release mite be set to light.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yup i know practice is important, but i cant seem to get my finger set right, the way i shot mine is i let my index yield to the realease, and it rotates to my middle and ring figner n it shots. i know "not correct way of shooting it" but it works for me.groups are already tighter, but im still having trouble with getting my middle and ring finger set right every time

· Registered
1,878 Posts
yup i know practice is important, but i cant seem to get my finger set right, the way i shot mine is i let my index yield to the realease, and it rotates to my middle and ring figner n it shots. i know "not correct way of shooting it" but it works for me.groups are already tighter, but im still having trouble with getting my middle and ring finger set right every time
If yu are making any control/or rotational movement of your release hand you are doing it wrong

The whole object of a BT is to insure that you are shooting with complete tension throughout the entire shot

If you manipulate the release like a trigger ----the scores you get will be eratic and only incidental as you are colapsing through the shot

When you shoot it correctly you'll be at a neutral relaxed center for your hand/wrist position----and the tension of expanding----( the commitment to the shot)---will fire the release--consistantly from that relaxed center point that can be re-established on each shot

· Registered
1,485 Posts
It's things like this that Clicker cams were developed. I rotate rather quickly to the click, then start the shot sequence. It then goes off (semi) predictably anywhere from 1 to 3 seconds. No more shaking waiting for it to fire (or not). No more quick releases when I'm positioned too close to the edge and don't realize it.

Try it, you might like it.

Zenith releases can be ordered with a reversable cam so if you don't like the clicker you don't have to use it.

· Lou & Jode
11,142 Posts
Doyle and Dave nailed it, I would add or rephase that you have to set up the same way each time. That release hand, wrist, and forearm have to be relaxed but the grip on the release has to be firm, I've heard it explained and like to say that you will hold the release much like you hold or carry a pucket of water, firm enough that it doesn't slip out but relaxed enough so your forearm doesn't get too pumped and fatique. It's a back tension release not a hand tension release.

· Registered
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i use my own form of back tension i keep a solid pull against the wal, but i dont consiously rotate the release in my hand it just happens, in other words i dotn see it as like im using a trigger release

· Registered
2,350 Posts
i use my own form of back tension i keep a solid pull against the wal, but i dont consiously rotate the release in my hand it just happens, in other words i dotn see it as like im using a trigger release
Twiggy,
If you look up the series of articles written by George Ryals, you'll find that what you're doing is exactly the way he describes shooting a hinge. There is no wrong way to do it. Your scores will tell you when you're doing it right.
Joe B.

· Registered
8,033 Posts
Twiggy, there is nothing wrong with relaxing the index finger to get the release to fire! Some shooters have 4 or more releases in their release bag, all set at different speeds, and they randomly reach in and grab what they grab!

This way, they never know which one, with which speed, they have selected. You seem to have done this with only one release!!:teeth: If you are holding too long, just let down and start over! This happens to me quite often, especially while shooting outdoor/field type rounds. (Normally your release should be sped up a bit for outdoor shooting anyway!). :smile:

· Registered
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes ,thank you its workign for me so figured id stick with it. The only real problem is getting my fingers set, but i dotn think i want a clicker , because from what ihear yo can develope anticipation, which i dotn need again.

· Registered
3,683 Posts
no anticipation

yes ,thank you its workign for me so figured id stick with it. The only real problem is getting my fingers set, but i dotn think i want a clicker , because from what ihear yo can develope anticipation, which i dotn need again.
the clicker can't give you anticipation if you use it properly. when you reach full draw, you consciously rotate your hand until it clicks and THEN start squeezing the rhomboids. the clicker ensures you have the same amount of travel every time. for me the travel from click to fire is too light. so i rotate to the click and then forward some THEN begin back tension.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.