Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched for the answer to this question on AT but cannot find an answer. I'm thinking about switching to a back tension release but am afraid that I won't be able to pull as much weight with a BT release. I've been away from archery for some time and am in the process of re-building the muscles I need to shoot a bow. Any comments on the this would be appreciated. Thanks Patch Lindley:confused:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to add I am currently using a wrist trigger release.:(

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
When I switched to a carter thumb style it took a little getting use to to strengthen my fingers to handle the draw, they would get tired quick at first. With wrist strap you can pull it all with the arm, you do with a BT as well, just you have to also hold on with the fingers.

--Bob

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I actually found it much more comfortable to pull back with a BT as opposed to a wrist style release. I find I can hold longer and more comfortably. Might be just me......

·
Registered
516 Posts
BT with a wrist strap

there are the Zenith BT releases that you can get equiped with a wrist strap for extra security while you are pulling.

works great for my brother

my 0.02$

Magnus Edström

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Try shooting BT with your wrist strap release. Supposedly it's not that hard, I've done it a couple times, but I'm just learning. Here's how you do it

First pull the bow back and aim, then rest your finger on the trigger gently while continuing to aim. Then pull through the shot by pulling your elbow straight back. Surprise release even with a wrist strap!

Grant told me how to do this, and I personally love it!

Timba

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Pretty close Tim. Not quite totally straight back, but say the right half of your upper body is on a pivot at your neck, or your body core. As you pull through, your right side (mostly shoulder blade and draw arm if you're right handed that is) should poull your elbow on back around clockwise, squeezing your shoulder blades closer together, and using the muscles in between your shoulders. Don't make them tense, just relax, and keep tension coming back against the wall. totally relax your bow arm and hand. And yes, it works!!!!! I used this earlier in the year on my hunting bow to print CONSISTANT 4" groups @65 yards with total hunting setup, and TRU Ball Loopmaster release. I couldn't do it right now if you wanted me to because I haven't practiced nearly as mcuh as I should have, and will need to get back in shape to hunt. But it can be used with amazing accuracy, and fluid motion. Good luck!
PS: the trigger should be in the second joint of your index finger, and don't PULL the trigger, just let your index finger rest on there, and aim, and the shoot will happen. Trust me. You may need to shoot for a while close up not aiming at a spot to just get the feel of the BT release method. It takes a good while for some, so hang in there and stick with it.

·
Registered
16,232 Posts
Back tension releases helped me conquer bouts with target panic. For a while (while using caliper style releases), even using back tension to shoot, I ended up using the "get some while you can" theory as the pin bounced around the 10 ring. Using the back tension forces you to hold the spot. It does require a little more finger strength though.

Grant's explanation is dead on though. I use this style while hunting. VABowhunter actually uses a backtension to hunt with.:eek: And he nailed a dandy 8 pointer this year on opening day with it. (He won't brag about it but I will. He's my teammate)

I won't hunt with one cause sometimes you have to hurry a shot whether you like it or not.

If you plan on competing with the backtension, start on a blind bale early and give yourself a couple of months to get used to it cause it is a different critter.

I'm glad I invested the time to switch. Scores have improved greatly.

Good luck either way.
Note: I like the ones with a "clicker". It's like a warning that tells you the pin had better be where you want it because the music is about to stop.:D

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
I like my carter thumb trigger(Fits Me) for hunting. I always shoot BT with it. Shot goes off in 1-2 seconds, and I tell myself I can always get a little heavy on the thumb if I need to. Never had to do that though.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
So whats the big deal turn the weight down and learn to use a backtension release. After about a year you will be able to pull as much again... At least I can and it's been around a year...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts