Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been shooting a Martin with a fuzion cam for a couple years and have not had too much difficulty getting a surprise release with my index finger release. There is a little give to the wall on this cam and it seems to work good when continuing to pull with back tension.

I've recently purchased a Diamond and it's cam has a very hard wall. There is no pulling through this wall, and I'm finding it very difficult to get a surprise release.

Do others find these hard walls more difficult to obtain a surprise release or am I likely just needing to adjust to the difference?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just got a new bow with Wedel cams that as a hard wall – a lot harder then my previous PSE Silhouette V5. Actually, I love it, even if you feel the wall is not moving it makes the release very clean and I still get surprised at release. Mind you that I was looking for that. My overall shooting as been improving

André

·
EPLC Stabilization 4-Sale
9,429 Posts
I prefer a hard wall. Perhaps you just need to get used to it.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
I agree, I have a hard time building up good tension unless I have a rock solid wall.
The harder a wall the better as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was hoping others preferred the hard wall for a surprise release. I really like my new Diamond, but have struggled with my release while shooting against this hard wall. I'll keep working at it. :D

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
I don't know if this will help, but for me, the less movement of my equipment once I begin building up tension in my back, the cleaner the shot comes off. When things are moving such as the string, cams, trigger etc I feel like I am losing tension, and in my weaker moments I begin to think about these things. Then I really shoot like hell! To me the shot feels like I am opening up a bottle of champaign, pressure builds up without any noticable movement until the moment of the explosion. I get a nice unanticipted shot everytime like this.

You will probably like the feel of the harder wall better as you shoot the bow more.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
maybe just try fiddlin' with the draw length a little. Sometimes that's all you need, a couple twist up or down may be the ticket. Try shorter first.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Well this is one thing I have been dealing with for the last 2-3 years. Hard wall Or soft wall (Wheel).
The things I have learned from the Pro's helping me is that when you shoot the valley you DO NOT BUILD any more draw weight in the bow hand. You can pull back 1/2" - 3/4" & you Bow # should still be the same.
As with the Solid wall you can increase you bow weight 4-8 LB.
It was prove by putting my bow in a crank board & pulling way in to the wall.
Now its not a bad thing to shoot a hard wall you just need your draw to be set perfect to get that surprise release before you build up way to much draw weight.

I have just went back to a solid wall with my Supernova & finding that SWEET SPOT took some work but Im shooting great. I added 1/4" at a time till I got what I was looking for.
I shoot a hook release & a Soulation 3.

I still LOVE the feel of the valley. If you have never shot the valley it might be something to toy with someday. you can pull & pull & pull & the bow hand still feels the same. Might not be for all but it just feels great to me
Just my 10 cent's worth
The Buck

·
Registered
366 Posts
Steve,

Try keeping the back of your hand relaxed as your are activating your release. You will find that with a relaxed (back) hand less movement is needed to actvate the release. I know it sounds weird, but it works. If you have a GOOD finger shooter in your area, they can explain and teach keeping the back of your hand relaxed.

Joel

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have just started shooting back tension. I am shooting a Bowtech Patriot, with a solid back wall. I have found the best way for me to get a clean release is to bring my right elbow back, and up, while my fingers stay as relaxed as they can be. I was trying to pull straight back, and down, somewhat. This action made all my fingers pull staight back, instead of rotating the release. I also noticed I wasn't pulling as hard on the release if I let my elbow go up when pulling my shoulder back, instead of staying level, or going down. If my elbow travels level, or down, all I am doing is trying to draw the bow further, and the draw stop will not let me. It's a long, strenuous pull, that way.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I get good, surprise releases this way, without wearing myself out.

If any of the more experienced back tension shooters read this, feel free to jump in and correct me if I'm wrong. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts