Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to make the switch to back tension in hopes to defeat target panic and improve my overall shot and accuracy. I finally decided on getting the TruBall Sweet Spot II Ultra 4 and plan to order it sometime in the next month.

I understand learning to shoot back tension can be very frustrating and very time consuming. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to shoot back tension such as proper form, exercises I can do to get used to using the proper back muscles, good practice routine, etc. Anything helps!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Google "John Dudley Back Tension", he has a 2 part article. Padgettarchery.com likely has an article or three for a fee. rcrchery.wordpress.com has a couple articles on it as well.

There's several ways to shoot with back tension. Try them until you find the method that's both comfortable and consistent for you.

·
*Chick Repellent*
21,417 Posts
Padgett has some very good info. Also, get on Youtube and search around for vids on back tension. MUCH easier to see how something is done than it is to read it on here and trying to put words into an action, especially since you are new to back tension.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I shoot back tension with my Carter Lucky wrist release. My friend shoots a Carter Honey with no back tension at all.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
all these posts will help,you need to buy these two books> idiot proof archery by Bernie pellerite & core archery by larry wise .do as these two books show and tell how. it will take you 6 months to a year to become a good archer but do use a hinge release to learn back tension. it is not a easy but you will be very happy with the results and your improved archery skills. hang in there ,be safe and follow those two books.Pete53

·
Socket Man
24,354 Posts
I am ready when you are, I work with people all day long every day so just pm me and we can get started. As long as you get with me and follow all of the information that I have you can enjoy your training for the next year and stay on a positive path. Hinge shooting doesn't have to be a suffer fest but it isn't a one week and I am proficient thing either. The key is to realize that hinge shooting is a journey of learning lessons in setup and execution and mental approaches and once you learn the lessons out there you can then become a very seasoned hinge shooter.

The problem is that the lessons are not obvious and unless you have someone point them out you will remain blind to their existance, that is why my articles work so well because they are simple to understand and they point out the lessons to be learned and then you specifically work on them until they become second nature.

You have picked a nice release in the sweet spot, I started out with one and they work well. I would strongly suggest that you consider the tru ball honey badger, it really is one of the best ever and as we go through the lessons it is a great hinge to start out with and then go win a national event with. With my hinge setup routine you don't need the safety on the sweet spot, but if you are set on the sweet spot then get one. I have a sweet spot setup routine on my website also that works really well so we can get it up and running. The thing about a sweetspot is that coming to anchor and getting settled in has a extra couple steps in there because with a normal hinge you just release the thumb peg and then can start the firing engine, with the sweet spot you have to let go of the thumb peg and then flip the switch and then get your thumb in the final position and that clutters up time and effort just before starting your execution of the shot.

So get a hinge and pm me and we can get started.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Padgett will absolutely get you pointed in the right direction, his advice and articles have been instrumental for me getting started on my switch to a thumb release and now onto a hinge.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
I was speaking with a four-time California state champ yesterday about that very thing. He made an interesting comment which I believe to be true - most users of back tension releases, hinge and otherwise, do not actually use back tension.

I'm thinking that is the reason why so many BT release users admit to still having target panic.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the great info guys!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am ready when you are, I work with people all day long every day so just pm me and we can get started. As long as you get with me and follow all of the information that I have you can enjoy your training for the next year and stay on a positive path. Hinge shooting doesn't have to be a suffer fest but it isn't a one week and I am proficient thing either. The key is to realize that hinge shooting is a journey of learning lessons in setup and execution and mental approaches and once you learn the lessons out there you can then become a very seasoned hinge shooter.

The problem is that the lessons are not obvious and unless you have someone point them out you will remain blind to their existance, that is why my articles work so well because they are simple to understand and they point out the lessons to be learned and then you specifically work on them until they become second nature.

You have picked a nice release in the sweet spot, I started out with one and they work well. I would strongly suggest that you consider the tru ball honey badger, it really is one of the best ever and as we go through the lessons it is a great hinge to start out with and then go win a national event with. With my hinge setup routine you don't need the safety on the sweet spot, but if you are set on the sweet spot then get one. I have a sweet spot setup routine on my website also that works really well so we can get it up and running. The thing about a sweetspot is that coming to anchor and getting settled in has a extra couple steps in there because with a normal hinge you just release the thumb peg and then can start the firing engine, with the sweet spot you have to let go of the thumb peg and then flip the switch and then get your thumb in the final position and that clutters up time and effort just before starting your execution of the shot.

So get a hinge and pm me and we can get started.
Thank you for your willingness to help! I tried to pm you but for some reason it isn't showing that it sent and my sent messages folder is empty.

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
I was speaking with a four-time California state champ yesterday about that very thing. He made an interesting comment which I believe to be true - most users of back tension releases, hinge and otherwise, do not actually use back tension.

I'm thinking that is the reason why so many BT release users admit to still having target panic.
Interesting...........so what do they actually use?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Interesting...........so what do they actually use?
They use their back muscles to hold against the wall, or use their back muscles to put "tension" on the bow and hold against the wall. From their, its just release manipulation, whether it be the relax/yiled method, squeeze and pull, scissors method, the unique method Sam Wolthuis uses, or actually rotating the release with you hand like Levi does.

Its really pretty simple.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts