Archery Talk Forum banner

Back Tension

449 Views 10 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Kill Shill
which Back Tension release would you advice.

I shoot was tinking of getting one, but don't know which one.

I heard that the CCPorter Mako is great, what do you think.

I am using now a Target 4+, but use it like a BT, which isn't wright

but it works for now.

please let me know the pos and neg.

WD:cool:
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,878 Posts
If you aren't punching your target 4, then you are already doing it right.

You may vary well be wasting your time with the BT, because you need to be able to shoot any release as a BT, so if you are already doing that-----just refine what you are doing.

Read GRIV before doing anything, it may save you a lot of grief.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=453861

You may be a lot closer than you think to getting it right.
Just set your thumb, and expand through the shot.

Good luck with either

· Registered
1,829 Posts
Zenith makes a great starter kit for BT. I have yet to punch myself or have misfires I can let down whenever I want. Simple and great release. Is Joe still on here?

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
why are you so sceptic, I see a lot of good target archers using it.

My thought is when I am using a punch release as a back tension,
why don't I try it.

There are several manufactures which makes BT release, but I can't
try them all. Next is that I want a four finger release aid, so some will fall off.

Give me your experience, which BT release I must try.

I was thinking about a Mako from CC Porter, with zero creep
Anyone used this before?

· Registered
632 Posts
I used a Bernie's Knuckle Under, but wanted a wrist strap release, then got a Carter Squeeze Me. The Carter helped me learn to truly use my back muscles to activate the shot, but in a 3D tournament, the variables of stance shooting up and down hill made the tension needed to set off the shot too great. I had an old Copper John Eagle release, and I tried it, shooting it with my palm facing away from my face, and putting my middle finger over the trigger. As I increase back tension, my middle finger unwittingly pulls back on the trigger and it fires. Up and down hill don't matter. My only gripe is that it is hard to attach it to the string silently, and I want to use it for hunting. It can be done by putting the jaw over the loop and depressing the trigger, which releases the jaw so it falls on the loop, then I hold it down with my thumb and release the trigger. I'm thinking about a 2nd or 3rd finger release with a pivoting head that loads like a Scott or the like. Pull the trigger put on string, and release the trigger to lock it on the string.

Let us know what you find.

Slowhandstl

· Registered
1,878 Posts
why are you so sceptic, I see a lot of good target archers using it.

My thought is when I am using a punch release as a back tension,
why don't I try it.

There are several manufactures which makes BT release, but I can't
try them all. Next is that I want a four finger release aid, so some will fall off.

Give me your experience, which BT release I must try.

I was thinking about a Mako from CC Porter, with zero creep
Anyone used this before?
If your question was re-my post----It's not sceptesism it's knowlage and 30+ yrs experience.
If you read Carter's web site they themselves call the BT form of release a training tool and reccommend to use a trigger control for competition because when there are factors that influence the time spent in shot sequence, you must be able to change with it.

If you are only shooting indoors it can be a great all service release.

Very few use BT for all envirnments without a lot of stress when the wind gets strong/gusty were as others just take the day in stride and get back to normal technique when it calms down.

So my recomendation would be---as Carter says ---one BT that shoots just like your Target 4 for training and your existing release for tourney ---If you compete.

· Registered
34,533 Posts
which Back Tension release would you advice.

I shoot was tinking of getting one, but don't know which one.

I heard that the CCPorter Mako is great, what do you think.

I am using now a Target 4+, but use it like a BT, which isn't wright
but it works for now.

please let me know the pos and neg.

WD:cool:
Yes that is the correct way to shoot it.....:wink:

· Banned
3,222 Posts
there is nothing more personal than a release, buy several used from the AT classified,keep a couple you like, resale the ones that dont work as well for ya.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.