Archery Talk Forum banner

back tension?????

798 Views 23 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Lien2
At what point do you give up and go back to shooting with a trigger? Seems i punch my shots when i get tired and get bad habits
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
730 Posts
Punching shots with the back tension or with the trigger? If you are punching shots with the back tension thant you are not using it correctly. Punching shots is the reason alot of people goto back tension to start.

· *Chick Repellent*
21,419 Posts
How about stopping shooting when you get tired. Trying to shoot tired you are making things much worse than they should be. Shooting tired is when you form bad habits and destroy any progress you may have made before you got tired.

btw, how long have you been shooting your back tension?

· Registered
730 Posts
Also, Like BillyRay said if you are tired than stop shooting. If you are shooting your back tension well than there is no need to go back to the trigger release unless for hunting or because you no longer want to shoot the back tension. You can learn to shoot your trigger release with back tension also.

· Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How about stopping shooting when you get tired. Trying to shoot tired you are making things much worse than they should be. Shooting tired is when you form bad habits and destroy any progress you may have made before you got tired.

btw, how long have you been shooting your back tension?
off and on 6 months i get tired after 25 shots though not my draw arm but the other one

· *Chick Repellent*
21,419 Posts
off and on 6 months i get tired after 25 shots though not my draw arm but the other one
Well everybody is different, but it took me a solid year of shooting more than "off and on" to get truly comfortable and confident with shooting a BT release. It really takes dedication to get proficient with it. I mean if you want to give up and quit so you can go back to punching a trigger then thats up to you.

Also...if you are getting tired after 25 shots then for gods sake lower your poundage. Especially if you are shooting "off and on" you obviously aren't keeping yourself in proper shooting shape to give back tension a fair shot.

Trying to shoot a BT release while tired is a bad thing even for shooters that are very experienced with BT releases. Its even worse trying to shoot one tired when you are still trying to learn how to properly be proficient with it.

· Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well everybody is different, but it took me a solid year of shooting more than "off and on" to get truly comfortable and confident with shooting a BT release. It really takes dedication to get proficient with it. I mean if you want to give up and quit so you can go back to punching a trigger then thats up to you.

Also...if you are getting tired after 25 shots then for gods sake lower your poundage. Especially if you are shooting "off and on" you obviously aren't keeping yourself in proper shooting shape to give back tension a fair shot.

Trying to shoot a BT release while tired is a bad thing even for shooters that are very experienced with BT releases. Its even worse trying to shoot one tired when you are still trying to learn how to properly be proficient with it.

thats the odd thing i can pull the weight its only 53 pounds but my bow hand gets tired and i have a hard time keeping on target thats why i quit shooting hoyts too heavy:(

· Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You need to check your form and draw length if your bow arm is getting tired. You might be pushing your arm out in order to make the draw length fit you.
thought that too :) actually shooting half inch shorter now so i have a slight bend in my arm just old and weak i guess lol

· Registered
6,081 Posts
Learning a BT method of shooting will allow for better shots with any release...my Carter Target 4 works really well using the "Dynamic Tension" method as the Stan site calls it! :D

· Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
your not doing anything right if your tired after 25 shots. get a coach and start all over.
lol get me "coach" $$$$$ otherwise im SOL

· Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How long does it take for your shot to go off with back tension on average?
if i do it right seems forever weird thing my "trigger" shots group nice but when it goes off unexpectedly using proper form im all over the place lol

· Registered
156 Posts
if i do it right seems forever weird thing my "trigger" shots group nice but when it goes off unexpectedly using proper form im all over the place lol
It sounds like you may be letting up on the back tension when you mind notices the pin floating off of the target. This would explain why you are getting tired quickly as well as why it takes so long for the shot to execute. Pull through the shot and do not stop. Let the pin float even if you feel like you are floating off target.

· *Chick Repellent*
21,419 Posts
Ya dude you are having some major issues if your proper BT shots aren't grouping as well as the ones you are ripping through your BT release like a trigger.....

· Registered
11,635 Posts

Good post!
I am glad I am not the only one that didn't just get it over the course of the weekend without any problems. I have shot 4-5 days a week for about 1.5 hours a day since May in an attempt to learn BT and shooting a hinge. It is coming, some days good, some days bad. The last 2 months it is coming nicely, but for a lot of us it is a HUGE commitment that will not go well if it's "on and off". Each time you shoot you will learn a little more and eventually you will get better than before BT. I am now shooting slightly above what I was before BT.
And as BJSforVols mentioned, it sounds like you are starting and stopping BT when the dot goes off the spot. When I do this I tire out a lot faster than when I just anchor, and go with BT, no stopping, just one fluid motion and the shots hit the x.
GOOD LUCK!

Lien2

· Registered
5,479 Posts
At what point do you give up and go back to shooting with a trigger? Seems i punch my shots when i get tired and get bad habits
I wouldn't say that you need to give up shooting a trigger. I know shooting with a hinge has really helped me with my trigger release. You can use both, one for hunting one for target.

Its taken me since the end of June to get back to where I was. However the consistency I'm getting in shot placement now is amazing. I cant believe how much better it was than before. And it seems the aiming process has become much easier mentally than it was before. There isn't the worry of "i hope i don't punch" in my mind while I'm shooting.

I think if you want to become a better shooter and get to "the next leve" (wherever that may be for you) shooting with back tension is a must, and going to a hinge release is probably the best way to go about it.

Good luck!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.