Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am now in the market for a back tension release and want to no what you guys like. I want some sort of safety so it wont go off in my face.....but if you guys really like yours without one i will take a look at it! Thanks, Kody

· (aka lug nut)
54,880 Posts
I am now in the market for a back tension release and want to no what you guys like. I want some sort of safety so it wont go off in my face.....but if you guys really like yours without one i will take a look at it! Thanks, Kody
Hello Kody:

Back Tension can refer to many things.

If you mean a "hinge" release, with no thumb trigger,
then you have several choices.

The whole idea behind a "hinge" release,
is completely handle angle in relation to the arrow.

Most "hinge" releases will have a thumb peg.

Wrap your thumb around the thumb peg
and draw the bow completely with the THUMB and #2 finger
so that the TOP of the handle is pointed CLOSER to the bow
and the thumb peg is FARTHER away from the bow.

IF you do this
(assumes handle is vertical)
then the "hinge" release cannot fire.

Sooo,
my "hinge" release is actually kinda unusual,
cuz it has ZERO moving parts.

It's called the IDEAL release (3 finger version).

Central ring in the middle.

Thumb peg can rotate around the ring.
Finger hold can rotate around the ring.

By changing the position,
you can make the release narrower for small hands
or
wider for larger hands.

You can also adjust where the hook sits,
in relation to your fingers,
so you can put the hook more over the middle finger
or
you can put the hook more over the index finger.

The firing speed of the hook is also adjustable,
by turning a set screw. Once the set screw is adjusted
for hook angle, a "locking position set screw" keeps the hook angle
right where you want it.

If you have any interest,
send a pm to MRIDEAL2006.

Attachments

· Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
any others?

· P#NW045
12,858 Posts
I shoot a tru-ball hot tension. It is a very nice release and it is very easy to get used to. I have started to shoot smaller tighter groups and betters scores with this release. I have only been shooting it for a couple weeks.

· Registered
241 Posts
I have a carter mini evo
a carter colby
a scott longhorn 2 finger
a scott pro advantage
a older version of a scott longhorn pro
and scott rhino xt
and soon a scott black hole 3
i like and recommend each and everyone of them.

· Registered
5,479 Posts
A Carter Evo is a great place to start.

I personally don't care for safetys. Its not as scary as it seems!

If you come to Grand Forks let me know, I'll help you out!

· Registered
2,718 Posts
I have been using a Tru Ball Gold Ultra III for a little over a year now and really like it. I don't care for safetys either. If you draw like nuts&bolts said with pressure on the thumb peg, you won't have to worry about misfires.
I recently got a Zenith Backfire 3 finger release. It is similar to the Ideal release that nuts&bolts mentioned. It has lots of adjustment in the handle to fit your hand and is very smooth. I really like the flip-it head. When you order a Backfire, you choose the cam, when you want it to click, or no click, and which finger (index or middle) you plan to use in the finger hole. The middle finger release has an optional shelf to rest the index finger on. The more I use the Backfire, the more I like it.

· Registered
3,615 Posts
know it

I shoot a Carter Colby hinge relase. I used to shoot it without the clicker but now I shoot it, and shoot it much better, with it. According to one of the "pros" at the hattiesburg asa, the clicker is "out". It was also release manufacturer "Y" (that doesn't offer a clicker). Let me tell you why I think the carter colby 2 is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It doesn't have one, but two "clicks". I can set my release as heavy as I want to, but choose not to set it to heavy due to over rotation of my hand. The thing I love about it is that I can draw safely1. 2. start my aim and rotate till the first click. 3 rotate til the second click(the first click is the first side of the "clicker" grove and the second is the second side of it). The second click is more you can feel it than hear it. Then at that point I know it's extremely close to firing. I start the extreme concentration/aim sequence and relaxing/pushing/pulling and it goes off within a second or two.

A lot of people pull, aim, and push/pull(correct) or rotation of hand(incorrect) no matter where they are on their release. The reason he said the clicker is out is because most people will flinch when the clicker goes off and therefore makes it stupid to shoot one. Honestly i've only tried one other type of release on the "clicker" mode and it was nothing like my carter. When you heard the click it was to late to do anything about your flinch and bam it goes off. I'm not sponsored by carter and don't receive any contiengcy money from them, but hopefully one day will b/c they are the only release I will shoot till the day I die.

· Registered
5,041 Posts
I got a Carter Backstrap for christmas and it has a safety but it is a wrist style release and you hold the safety with your index finger. I liked the looks of it because of that because I don't shoot with a thumb release so I thought it would be a harder switch.

· Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
carter

alot of guys like the carters!!

· Registered
2,592 Posts
Scott Longhorn Pro Advantage

I have been shooting back tension releases for over ten years now and I have never shot that was so comfortable and solid as the Scott Longhorn Pro Advantage.:thumbs_up

· Registered
1,067 Posts
Learned back tension with the Evo+ with safety.... Now shooting a Tru ball Sweet Spot II with a saftey.

I shoot several different bows... Mathews and Hoyt... I found that I needed a sepearte Evo+ for each one. The Tru Ball I can use on any of them.

I also found that the Evo+ and Spiral cams were not a good combo for me.

· Registered
2,350 Posts
I have been using a Tru Ball Gold Ultra III for a little over a year now and really like it. I don't care for safetys either. If you draw like nuts&bolts said with pressure on the thumb peg, you won't have to worry about misfires.
I recently got a Zenith Backfire 3 finger release. It is similar to the Ideal release that nuts&bolts mentioned. It has lots of adjustment in the handle to fit your hand and is very smooth. I really like the flip-it head. When you order a Backfire, you choose the cam, when you want it to click, or no click, and which finger (index or middle) you plan to use in the finger hole. The middle finger release has an optional shelf to rest the index finger on. The more I use the Backfire, the more I like it.
The Ideal may look like the Backfire but it's not the same at all. The Ideal is basically an adjustable ledge release and the Backfire is a hinge release with the index finger position fitted with a needle bearing. The outer handle is free to rotate, no matter how hard you pull with your index finger.
Joe B

· Registered
1,098 Posts
scott longhorn II these days.

i keep my thumb on the barrel through the draw up to anchor.

i then let my thumb off and relax a wee bit..........keeping thumb down and away. usually this settles into the audible 'click'. at this point i know to really focus on aiming even more. slight push/pull..............somewhere during that time..........

off to the races.

i wouldnt mind trying the scott longhorn alluminum................

or maybe a blackhole 2 finger.

scott has good customer service in my mind.

camoham

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.