Archery Talk Forum banner

Back to the WB

1723 Views 55 Replies 25 Participants Last post by  BigDeer
I was going to take the compound hunting so I shot I shot about 8 shots and everything went fine, I shot number nine and thought I broke a nock and the arrow went low. I checked the arrow and it was fine, I took another shot and the same thing. What had happen was my timing was off, apparently I had a little stretch in my cable. It’s not the fault of the drop a way but shows how things can happen. I had that happen a couple of years ago also so I decided to go back to the WB for reliability.
Again, it wasn’t the fault of the drop away, I should have stayed on it better, but shooting traditional I just haven’t shot the compound much.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Registered
16,126 Posts
I was going to take the compound hunting so I shot I shot about 8 shots and everything went fine, I shot number nine and thought I broke a nock and the arrow went low. I checked the arrow and it was fine, I took another shot and the same thing. What had happen was my timing was off, apparently I had a little stretch in my cable. It’s not the fault of the drop a way but shows how things can happen. I had that happen a couple of years ago also so I decided to go back to the WB for reliability.
Again, it wasn’t the fault of the drop away, I should have stayed on it better, but shooting traditional I just haven’t shot the compound much.
I consider the same. As much as some people hate them, they work

· Premium Member
10,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I consider the same. As much as some people hate them, they work
They sure do, I was shocked at how well I shot just bolting it on. Everything was set from taking it off years ago plus I had the riser marked out for placement. I just had to do a little side adjustment and it was good.

· Registered
6,285 Posts
Easy to Set Up no Issues with using one for years now and never had any issues with the Biscuit Freezing in Cold Weather as I hunt in NLP of Michigan and hunted in rain, snow and ice & so on. Been Using one from the CAP Days it is the Deluxe Model and it has the XL Biscuit not easy to find these days back when it was Carilina Archery Products it was an Option.
LFM

· Registered
21,912 Posts
I revisited the WB on a secondary bow I set up this past summer. Shooting at 20-30-40 yards, I saw no appreciable difference in my group sizes. If I don’t like the QAD I’m going to on my RX7, after years of Hamskea’s, I’ll get a biscuit. It’ll be the opposite of a tuxedo on a pig.

· Registered
13,299 Posts
Tryout a limb driven rest. Preferrably a Vapor Trail. I always run my cord to top limb. Very easy to notice, see any cord stretch.
And I
always carry extra cord and allen wrench just in case in pack.
But have never had a prob. "Knock on wood".

· Registered
13,299 Posts
I revisited the WB on a secondary bow I set up this past summer. Shooting at 20-30-40 yards, I saw no appreciable difference in my group sizes. If I don’t like the QAD I’m going to on my RX7, after years of Hamskea’s, I’ll get a biscuit. It’ll be the opposite of a tuxedo on a pig.
I'd make that move now. 😝

· Registered
21 Posts
I saw the same thing. Hamskea on my last bow. Upgraded to a new bow and put a WB on the old bow just to have something and did not notice a difference in grouping.

· Registered
16,126 Posts
The funny thing about them is so many people act like they are so inferior to a fall away, but only have make believe reasons they’re bad… I shot them for probably 15 years without a single hiccup, I don’t know why I’m not shooting one now.

I would pick a WB over a QAD any day, the QAD don’t like moisture and fern pollen, they get sticky pretty quickly for me, and I don’t trust them at all.

An original limb driver cost me a really big bull… not completely the fault of the rest, but it 100% wouldn’t have happened with a WB

currently shooting a vapor trail prov (the new version) and its kinda “eh”

I haven’t shot a WB in a few years, and I too am thinking about going back. I did like my hamskea trinity a lot, and will either get an epsilon or WB fairly soon, can’t say my trinity did anything better than a WB for me in the woods.
I know most will say get the hamskea for sure over a WB, but why?
The biggest downsides to a WB is make believe, never hear any compelling arguments against them, as in, actual downfalls that make them inferior… I’m still a fan of them… I could be perfectly happy without the cool kid stuff… toying with the idea of ditching my fast Eddie and getting a fixed 5 pin too… I’ll probably just get another 3 pin black gold mtn lite, but I also may just go back to old school fixed pin and WB

· Registered
30,646 Posts
I shot a WB for about 18 months when I first shifted back to compounds in 2010. After a while I started shooting lower and lower......the bristles were wearing out. So the WB guys say, "Well what did you expect, they make replacements for a reason. Got to check such things." So now I shoot Hamskea limb driven rests and say the same thing about stretched activation cords, "Well what did you expect, they are made to easily adjust for a reason. Got to check such things." I have a brand new WB in my archery tackle box that a friend sent me a decade ago. It has never been out in the open air......probably never will. To each their own.....but there is nothing "fool-proof"......it all has to be check and maintained.

· Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
7,031 Posts
The last 3 bows I have bought , the first thing I did was install a WB and shoot 200-300 shots to get the string set/streched/shot in, before installing a peep.

I carry one in my pack in case my drop away breaks, I did have a drop away break internally one time..

· Premium Member
10,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I shot a WB for about 18 months when I first shifted back to compounds in 2010. After a while I started shooting lower and lower......the bristles were wearing out. So the WB guys say, "Well what did you expect, they make replacements for a reason. Got to check such things." So now I shoot Hamskea limb driven rests and say the same thing about stretched activation cords, "Well what did you expect, they are made to easily adjust for a reason. Got to check such things." I have a brand new WB in my archery tackle box that a friend sent me a decade ago. It has never been out in the open air......probably never will. To each their own.....but there is nothing "fool-proof"......it all has to be check and maintained.
Years ago when I had them I shot a whole lot of arrows almost every day, I would replace the biscuit every three years with little wear. Wear can increase depending on arrow size and mostly finish. I imagine anodized aluminum would last for ever. It’s obvious with the WB, you can see worn bristles if it’s wearing out, it’s not so obvious when cables stretch.
Now after going to recurves I seldom shoot my compound so I don’t see wearing this one out any time soon.

· Registered
527 Posts
Shot trophy taker back in the day and more recently a QAD. I actually catch the string twice on brush while hunting and that was enough for me. Now I shoot the WB because it is simple and bombproof and it will outshoot 95% of shooters out there.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 56 Posts