Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still fairly new to Idaho and am looking for an area to do a backpack elk hunt for about 6 days in early September. I know how to hunt elk, and have all the necessary gear, I am just curious if anyone has any suggestions on where I should be looking. I have been researching this for a short while, and have done a few scouting trips, but all I hear is more complaints about wolves, than facts about the quality of elk hunting to be had. I havent even had much luck talking with regional bioligists. I am willing to go in as far as 8 miles (on foot) and I am much more concerned with quality rather than quantity. I can do some scouting this summer, and am not looking for any specific spots, I just need some pointers as to what units or zones, and what to expect for how many bulls I can possibly encounter. I dont care about score of elk antlers, but If there are 350 bulls around, I wont shoot a 290. But if I honestly know that a 290 bull is great for the area, I would be ecstatic to arrow one.

I am hunting another state in late September with my Dad, where I will arrow the first branch bull that presents the opportunity. For Idaho, I am just looking for the challenge of hunting big bulls for 6 days, on my own, with everything I need on my back. If I dont kill, no big deal, but I do want to enjoy a good hunt. Thanks for any imput.

Any ideas?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts