Archery Talk Forum banner

Backcountry hunters, I have a ??? about sleeping bag length...

1474 Views 20 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  Samuraiarcher
I'm exactly 6'0" tall. Most of the bags I've been looking at are 82" or 84" in the regular size and 88" or 90" in the large size. I could save up to 8oz. or so (and $10 whoopee) by going with a regular but I don't know if it will be comfortable for a full night's sleep. I'm pretty sure the bag I have now is a large and it is very roomy. But you weight nazis have me counting ounces and I'm going to go with the regular if it will work. Is there anyone who is 6'0" or a little taller that can speak from experience on this most important crisis that I'm having? :)
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Embrace the suck!
7,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm around 6'1" and I cannot stand regular length bags. I feel too confined when I close down the hood on a cold night.
Good to know. I suppose the best thing to do would be try a few different lengths in a store.

· Registered
261 Posts
Yeah, try them in the store. I am 6' and it really depends on the brand and bag. I currently have a North Face Cats Meow in the regular, I tried both the long and the regular-chose the regular for the smaller size and lighter weight. They both felt fine, and after 10+ years I still sleep fine...

· Registered
5,566 Posts
Half a pound you probably won't notice....a ****ty nights sleep you will!
88" here

· Registered
9,795 Posts
I'm 6'-1" and use a standard length Big Agnes bag. It's about as short as I'd EVER go, but, I find that I normally sleep best with my legs bent
and most of the time I'm on my side. If you sleep on your side, you can get away with a shorter bag. If you also can't stand sleeping with the
bag cinched over your head (like me), a stanard bag instantly becomes 6" longer when you don't have to slide that far down into it.:becky:

I normally wear a neck gaiter, and a fleececap pulled down over my ears and I'm GTG. For whatever reason, I could never get comfortable
with cinching the bag up over my head just leaving my face exposed. I flop around too much for that crap. LOL...

-ZA

· Registered
349 Posts
I am a wieght Nazi, but three things i wont skimp on, good rain gear, sleeping bag, and boots. you need quality in these items and a little extra wieght for the payoff in relief is worth the extra energy carying them.

your bag is one of the most critical items for rejuvination and recovery on a long back country hunt.

Swift.....

· Registered
1,782 Posts
Im only 6'1" the long is definetly the way to go. Your not talking about much of a difference in weight. This make more of a difference if you use a bivy bag instead of a tent, but I'll stuff my pants and jacket or vest at the end of the bag by my feet to make it easier to get going the next morning, which isn't always as easy as it sounds when your sleeping in a bivy bag.

· Registered
5,566 Posts
.....and don't forget:
You may be using the bag for more then just sleeping!
Like when the weather takes a turn......you might spend a day or two bundled up in the tent.

In a bag that's uncomfortable?

Snow Automotive tire Tire Winter Freezing

· Registered
1,001 Posts
Im only 6'1" the long is definetly the way to go. Your not talking about much of a difference in weight. This make more of a difference if you use a bivy bag instead of a tent, but I'll stuff my pants and jacket or vest at the end of the bag by my feet to make it easier to get going the next morning, which isn't always as easy as it sounds when your sleeping in a bivy bag.
You can also do this if you have stuff that is slightly damp. Put anything damp down at the foot box and by the morning it should be good to go. You can't do that at 6' with a regular sized bag.

· Embrace the suck!
7,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yea bivy sacks are a little awkward to move around in. I've only logged 3 nights in mine and it was a different experience. I got dressed inside my bag inside my bivy and it was very tough to get my pants and socks on. And the zipper on my bag is on the left while the zipper on my bivy is on the right. It sucks having to completely open your bag to be able to open your bivy when you have a thin layer of ice in there. I can't wait to do it again. :)

· Embrace the suck!
7,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You can also do this if you have stuff that is slightly damp. Put anything damp down at the foot box and by the morning it should be good to go. You can't do that at 6' with a regular sized bag.
That's a good idea but when I'm in the mountains I try to avoid anything touching my feet except my socks. I get major swamp foot and I'd rather hunt in something that was a touch damp than something that smells like bigfoot's fromunda cheese. It wasn't so bad last season though because I took some wipes up the hill with me and cleaned my feet every night before I put my fresh socks on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.