Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If i use oak for a board bow and back it with linen or fabric, will i have to get the back down to one growth ring? If i dont, will it break? Just wondering because i have a piece of oak that i may not be able to get down to one ring.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Depends on a lot of things , the bow length , weight, design ....and how good your oak board is (grain) , and of course your tiller ... ... ??? If in doubt , you may be better off with a rawhide backing ... I’ve used triple layers of bias laid polyester camo netting on the back of some doubtful bows in the past ... Never had one break yet ... touch wood ... Looks good in the woods too ...
At least you should get a good even floor tiller before backing ... if it won’t do that , it’s firewood .... or a good walking stick ...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! Im new to this, obviously. Im 6' 8" tall so its going to be long. Im hoping i can get away with less than perfection because of the length of the bows i will be making. Is this true or am i dreaming?

·
Registered
733 Posts
You can get away with a lot on a longer and Lighter bow ... especially if you have a more “normal" draw length ... A normal longbow for a shorty like me (6’3”) is eyebrow height (~72”)... so your bow could easily be 76-78” .. It won’t be as fast as the shorter longbows , but will have a lot of Leverage to cast long heavy arrows ...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts