Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
This is my first bow and its made from osage wood laminates I cut from a board and unfortunately, there is some grain crossing in the laminates.

Layout:
.125*2 osage, .040 *2 core-tuff, then .125*2 osage with a purpleheart riser (between core-tuff).

I was wondering if I need a backing material? I was either looking at a clear .050" fiberglass back so I could keep the colors or a 1/16 hickory back so it would not take away too much from the osage color.

Preferably I would not use a backing material, but i think it may be necessary. I have only .125" x 1.5 x 70" of straight material that I will be using for the back. Is this enough for me to get away with not using another material for the back of the bow?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
10,042 Posts
I don't know what core-tuff is (fiberglass or actionwood?) but I would say this: fiberglass and hickory will create two compeltely different bows. If you use fiberglass, put one on the belly too. There isn't a lot of sanding you can do thickness wise after laminating with fiberglass to lower the draw weight, but if it works out it will be a tad more durable than a hickory backed bow, at least in terms of set taken.

If I were you and I were looking to make a wooden bow, I wouldn't bother with fiberglass. It's harder to work, less forgiving of weight adjustment, and will eat up your tools really fast. Like I said, you'd also need one on the belly too. If you want to make a modern laminate, then go with the fiberglass. It really does completely change the bow.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts