Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are a group of newer shooters, and have heard alot about backtension. Is this really necessary, and if so what is the easiest way to do it? I am a newbie at this and could use all the help I can get.

·
Registered
9,477 Posts
I think it depends if you are going to be a target shooter or not. For me hunting is my priority even though I do 3d and spots a little. I wouldn't hunt with it so I figure why bother. If I have any trouble with my index finger release I will go to my hunting thumb trigger for a while and use it with a backtension form but I also will practice it deliberately making it go off in case you have to make a quick shot. Not easy to do with a backtension..just my opinion

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Most of the best European shooters do not use back tension. Most of the best USA shooters do use back tension.

Both groups have people that can win any shoot on any given day.

Is it necessary? No! Does it work very well? Yes! :thumbs_up

·
Registered
67 Posts
I suffer from a form of target panic (i.e. I want to grab my bow when I release) and using back tension (which I've just started) solves that problem completely, since my stupid hand doesn't know when the release is going to go off. As long as my bow hand is relaxed and pointed straight at the target, there's no torque or pressure. I would recommend Core Archery by Larry Wise as a good way of learning back tension.

Richard

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
jras If you and your buddies are new to archery it's important to just have fun at the start and do alot of shooting.Just be care free for the moment.
Back tension release is not important at this point.
If you stick with the sport it may become something you would like to learn or not.You will know when the time is right.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Peng said:
I would recommend Core Archery by Larry Wise as a good way of learning back tension.
I second the Ditto! :star: :star: :wink:

The key to shooting a bow well is consistency. Whatever you do, you have to do it the same every shot. If you don't, your accuracy won't be there. That said, back tension is a very popular method to achieve a consistent release because it works!

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
PA Deer Chaser said:
I second the Ditto! :star: :star: :wink:

The key to shooting a bow well is consistency. Whatever you do, you have to do it the same every shot. If you don't, your accuracy won't be there. That said, back tension is a very popular method to achieve a consistent release because it works!

I third that motion. Great book. Finished a few weeks ago. It filled in several grey areas that I had about BT.
Also I would add that IMHO BT does not solve target panic since I can still get paniced and jerk the BT release. However, when performed "correctly" it does take anticipation out of picture so we don't make as many human errors. Now if I miss I can blame it on something else. lol :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't believe backtension is nessecary. It didn't help me very much. My score actually dropped. I went back to my regular release and i am shooting so much better. Maybe I was shooting the backtension wrong :confused: Just my 2 cents.

·
Urban Archery
3,813 Posts
Archersteve said:
Previous experience, observation, and correspondence with them. Do you disagree?
Of course, did you consult all of Europe?
Extreme generalisation.
On watching many at the world target this year the majority of archers there used some form of back tension. There were quite a few punchers, both from Europe, Asia and the Americas, however all those that squeezed the release were applying back tension to the shot.

·
Registered
971 Posts
It is only necessary if you want to hit the spot you are aiming at repeatedly without relying on luck IMHO with back tension you will shoot at the end of the day as fresh as the start of the day
Cheers
:wink:

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Archeryrocks! said:
I don't believe backtension is nessecary. It didn't help me very much. My score actually dropped. I went back to my regular release and i am shooting so much better. Maybe I was shooting the backtension wrong :confused: Just my 2 cents.
How long did you try it. Normal progression is to have scores drop off for a while until you really get it, then they increase past where you were before. But it takes dedication and time. No instant results with it.

·
Banned
55 Posts
Back Tension in my opinion is a must. Punching ALWAYS catches up with you. ALWAYS. The way I learnt how to use it properly I imagined I had a Coke can between my shoulder blades and tried to slowly crush it. I found that the best way to employ the whole back and not just the lower Lat area which is what I find myself doing when I get lazy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
RobVos said:
How long did you try it. Normal progression is to have scores drop off for a while until you really get it, then they increase past where you were before. But it takes dedication and time. No instant results with it.
I tried the backtension for about 6 months. Should i try again for a longer time period?

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
necessary nope? you can have the worst form on planet earth but if your worst form is consistent and putting the arrow in the spot then so be it.

ive got a friend who is about 6'4" shooting his 1983 teenage bow - having a 28" draw. he leans forward into his shot, anchors with the rear of his thumb on the cornor of his mouth, his brace arm makes a good "V" shape but I don't know anyone who can out shoot him to 30 yds. o yea he doesn't use a peep or sight pins either...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.