Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on backtension form for about 2 months now. I am confident I am on the right track though have noticed an oddity. When I first start shooting (every night) I notice for about the first 6 arrows I draw and then release with little to no thought and little effort. The more I shoot the more I struggle with getting the release to the point I have to concentrate on pulling my elbow back using my back muscles and it takes a ton of effort to get the release to occur. I am using a carter chocolate addiction and previous had a SH friday night delight. The other interesting item that has just started happening over the last couple of days is my bow string is hitting my arm guard on release even though I don't have my bow arm locked out. I am almost certain my grip is correct.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It sounds to me like you start to second guess your self after the first few shots and you are thinking about the release and that is when you start to struggle and you are probably torquing the bow like crazy since I am guessing you are pulling way too hard (I did this really really really bad). I would say that when you start to struggle stop shooting for a bit and when you are shooting never let the bad shoots fire. If you start to struggle let down and start over. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Sounds like you might be tensing up after the first few shots. One thing to look at, you should not be thinking about your elbow at all; only push your shoulder blades together and let the elbow rotate because of the shoulder movement. Ideally you shouldn't be conentrating or thinking on your muscles or their movement at all. Have you tried any blind bale shooting or practicing with just a loop instead of your bow?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have done some blind shooting though not enough. I have also used the rope training. The difference here is one doesn't have the same tension so performing the release with this method is indeed easier to perform

·
Registered
720 Posts
consistent form

Are you keeping that elbow up and high shot after shot?

As soon as you get fatigued that elbow will drop ever so slightly and it'll wreak havoc on your release.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts