Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive heard people say they use backtension with a trigger release. How?

I understand you use the back muscles but the wrist strap is locked to the wrist. The finger has to move independent of the wrist to trigger it. You still end up having to squeeze it.

· Registered
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You asking or telling?
Asking how it works. If the trigger is activated by squeezing the trigger then whats the difference?

Ive read where backtension is helpful with TP and some say you can use backtension with a trigger release but the release still is activated the same way regardless.

· Registered
1,878 Posts
It's very simple----

after you find form position---
and find the target----

Then you just set the forefinger in a position to pull straight back-----but instead of putting more pressure on the finger you just begin expanding as if you were drawing the bow a little more as you relax the fingers on both hands

the expansion is the key and the relax helps get the influences off the string/bow

once you get it you'll say ---can it be that easy----

it is ---BUT you must keep the tension 100% through the entire shot or the shot is no good-----and you'll have gained nothing!!!!!!

Good luck----you can achieve everything there is to achieve in archery this way--if you get the rest of the setup to shoot as well

· A.K.A. Big JW
2,745 Posts
I shoot a "back tension" release and have used trigger releases in the past. I think the back tension method with a trigger release is a bunch of crap myself. I use a Scott Longhorn but I will say if you want to learn back tension you are best off getting something like the Loesch True back tension or one of the Carters that work the same way. I know lots of others will disagree about the trigger release but that's my opinion.

· Registered
679 Posts
it works for me.make a c with your trigger finger.so the trigger rests in the second groove in your finger.if your draw lenght is right it will be a surpise release if you simply push with bow hand and pull with release hand.after a while of doing this ,the only thing you have to do is keep aiming and the shot will go off.no more target panic.it will take practice ,but i like this method weather its back tension or not.

· Registered
9,477 Posts
I shoot a "back tension" release and have used trigger releases in the past. I think the back tension method with a trigger release is a bunch of crap myself. I use a Scott Longhorn but I will say if you want to learn back tension you are best off getting something like the Loesch True back tension or one of the Carters that work the same way. I know lots of others will disagree about the trigger release but that's my opinion.
We all have opinions. I normally shoot a hinge but I can absolutely shoot my index finger release with back tension. I don't know how you can do it with a light trigger though (atleast not like a mongoose type or your longhorn). You need to preload your trigger and set it back to your second knuckle. I would start with a heavy spring in a carter 2 shot to learn it correctly and you could lighten the spring later on. I get a surprise release every shot with mine and have to let down just like a hinge if it doesn't go after a certain amount of time.
Anyone that wants to do it right get the Michael Braden DVD (worked for me) you can tell he doesn't punch the release or even squeeze it

· A.K.A. Big JW
2,745 Posts
Does anyone actually think the pro's shooting a thumb trigger dont use back tension?
Just curious
Using a thumb trigger is a lot different than an index finger trigger release. I can shoot my Just-B-Cuz using back tension as well. It just doesn't make sense to me to use a finger release to try to achieve a back tension release when it can be achieved much easier with other releases that were originally intended to be used with back tension.

· Registered
10,618 Posts
Ive heard people say they use backtension with a trigger release. How?

I understand you use the back muscles but the wrist strap is locked to the wrist. The finger has to move independent of the wrist to trigger it. You still end up having to squeeze it.
To answer your question about the wrist strap, you can't get it so tight that your wrist won't "slip" through a little bit allowing your index finger to make contact with the trigger resulting in a surprise release. I use this method to shoot my Carter Quickie Plus and I shoot it more accurately than any other release I have. Of course, I shoot a alot with a back tension and a thumb trigger to keep me honest, but whenever I pull out my wrist strap it's like I don't even think about doing anything and the shot just goes off. Good luck

· Registered
871 Posts
bt with trigger

set your release so it is between first and second knuckle set trigger stiff do this close to your target set your hooked finger next to trigger it should be touching release also use your back and pull thought the shot you cannot use your finger to fire release only your back

· Registered
9,477 Posts
Using a thumb trigger is a lot different than an index finger trigger release. I can shoot my Just-B-Cuz using back tension as well. It just doesn't make sense to me to use a finger release to try to achieve a back tension release when it can be achieved much easier with other releases that were originally intended to be used with back tension.
I agree it is easier but it can definitely be done. You should see someof the guys in my league shoot a thumb it is pretty funny

· Registered
288 Posts
it works for me.make a c with your trigger finger.so the trigger rests in the second groove in your finger.if your draw lenght is right it will be a surpise release if you simply push with bow hand and pull with release hand.after a while of doing this ,the only thing you have to do is keep aiming and the shot will go off.no more target panic.it will take practice ,but i like this method weather its back tension or not.

I do it the same way with a carter 2 shot. Only other thing I can say is make sure your draw length is correct.

· Time Flies
13,298 Posts
BT with a Trigger

Shoot your caliper release using your middle finger. Adjust the release (if you can) so that the trigger is almost all the way down to the first knuckle of your middle finger, then wrap your middle finger around the trigger. You'll need to set the tension on the trigger pretty hard so that it doesn't fire right when you rest your finger around it. From there, just pull! There shouldn't be any conscious squeezing of the trigger

· Banned
3,222 Posts
its easier accomplished with certain models of releases. open hook designs for example. the Carter 2shot can be manipulated this way.
Im in the BT is overated camp. I believe the field record is currently held by the Carter target 3, a typical hi quality hand held thumb mechanical trigger release? A mechanical release can be shot just as accurately and it appears more accuratetly than BT releases. If your not shooting as good as somebody with a BT, your release technique needs improvement.

· Registered
8,309 Posts
I shoot a "back tension" release and have used trigger releases in the past. I think the back tension method with a trigger release is a bunch of crap myself.

...nah....you just haven't quite figured out BT with a trigger-style release....

I have a TRU Ball Sniper....along with the standard trigger...it comes with a SPRING that you can replace in lieu of the trigger....you set the release very slow/heavy.....use your Back muscles to "set-off" the release..

keep trying.....

· Registered
34,432 Posts
We all have opinions. I normally shoot a hinge but I can absolutely shoot my index finger release with back tension. I don't know how you can do it with a light trigger though (atleast not like a mongoose type or your longhorn). You need to preload your trigger and set it back to your second knuckle. I would start with a heavy spring in a carter 2 shot to learn it correctly and you could lighten the spring later on. I get a surprise release every shot with mine and have to let down just like a hinge if it doesn't go after a certain amount of time.
Anyone that wants to do it right get the Michael Braden DVD (worked for me) you can tell he doesn't punch the release or even squeeze it
You beat me to it. :wink:

But I also shoot a thumb trigger the same way......I actually shoot it a little better then a hinge. But I will try and help it at times when I am not shooting a lot. :pukey:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.