Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have been shooting archery for 2-3 years now. I recently bought my Tru Ball Sabertooth this winter and now getting into spring it doesnt feel right. I can't seem to master backtension with the thumb trigger. Would anyone on here be so kind in as to let me borrow one of their Back tension releases. 20ftup, JLorenti, or Ladybowhunter will vouch for me if you need to question my credibility. I have no bowshops around me that have backtensions and the nearest one is almost 2 hours away.

·
Registered
114 Posts
like the above post mentioned buy a cheap used one. backtension takes alot of time and determination, or atleast it did for me. i blank baled all winter inside and now i'm making the transition to shooting actual targets. even though i'm still in the learning process i'd never go back to a command style release. good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just switched from a wrist release caliper style to back tension. I bought my release down in Paris at the last ASA event. I bought a Zenith, since it was my first I didn't want to drop a lot of money if I didn't like it. check out there website, you can get a basic BT release for about 60 bucks, and their great

zenitharcheryproducts.com

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
I would suggest the tru ball sweet spot II to start out with it has a safety so you can draw without worring.I also suggest shooting blank bale for a couple weeks until it feels good.Then after you have confidence in you shooting it switch to targets and do the blank bale a couple times a week.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I would suggest the tru ball sweet spot II to start out with it has a safety so you can draw without worring.I also suggest shooting blank bale for a couple weeks until it feels good.Then after you have confidence in you shooting it switch to targets and do the blank bale a couple times a week.
Blank Bale is a great way to reprogram your form, as well...

Speakin of that, once I get the DLD, I'll be hitting up a Blank Bale...

Need a lot of form reprogramming...I'm starting to get sloppy.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking of saving up the money and buying a Carter Evolution + on ebay. Does anyone reccomend this one or would you rather have a Zenith?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
The evolution is a great release, but most people use it for practice only and then switch to the sensation or another thumb trigger to use for tournaments. I'm not saying that you couldnt use it for tournaments, but if you shoot on uneven ground or up or downhill shots very often, it will be tough to use. I have tried one and the Evo is a great practice tool, but occasionally if I was shooting uphill/dowhill i would take my thumb off of the trigger and it would fire. I would start with a hinge like a BT gold, Sweet spot 2 or the hot tension by tru ball, or a Zenith. That way you can use the same release for practice and tournaments. A lot of great shooter use a hinge (Reo Wilde, Braden Gellenthien, Levi Morgan, Jesse Broadwater, etc). That list basically speaks for itself....

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I tried, and thoroughly liked the TRUBall HT-4 finger (large)...

I also liked the HT-2 finger (large)...

Both were SWEET!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what is different from a hinge release like the Truball Sweet Spot and a release like the Evolution? I was thinking of the evolution because it had the safety (for my beginner ways) and it wasn't junk. I dont wana buy 3 or 4 B/T Releases. I want to buy 1 good one 100-150$ and use it forever. What release do you guys reccomend?

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
if you want a safety go with the tru ball sweet spot II. it has a safety on it. a hinge type release will give you more consistency in my opinion. i am learning on a tru ball ht3 without a safety. it teaches you proper draw technique, anchor technique and shot execution. i by no means am a back tension guru but just know what is working for me. the carter evo is a good release but doesnt have the same feel of a back tension release to me. i would try the carter atension if you want a carter. it does not have a safety tho but you can adjust the travel from light to heavy. if i had the money to go with a different release i would order a tru ball sweet spotII

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey, I just looked on Lancaster at Tru Ball BT's. I like their Bt Pro Brass model. any info on this one?

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
i know it is one of the lower end bt's they offer. dont know a whole lot about it as i have not used one. i still dont think you will go wrong with the sweet spot or the ht series. they are a higher pricd release but they will last ages if properly used and cared for

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Here pretty soon I'll be getting a TRUBall HT-4...

That just seems to be the one that feels the most comfortable to me.

Alot of it comes down to comfort and how it feels in your hand.

One of the many things I like about the TRUBall HT's over the others, is that you can adjust the tension or "Hotness" of the release on the fly with a simple allen wrench...

That's just one big reason I like the HT's...

Try some of them out if you can, to see which one fits you best.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Hey, I just looked on Lancaster at Tru Ball BT's. I like their Bt Pro Brass model. any info on this one?

I like the brass because the weight you feel in your hand...feels like something is there. I use a bt gold 4 finger and love it. I have an evolution i use for pure form work, if you cant get the evo to go off your form is out of wack and thats why I love it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So hinge now? I dont think the HT is in my options because its 150$ :angry: Does anyone know where to find them cheaper than 150$?

·
Registered
865 Posts
bt

when i made the commitment to learn bt i started with a carter evolution great way to learn bt safely ,i used this release all winter blank baleing in my basement , i now shoot a carter only , or a carter colby , i did use a tru-ball briefly , the carters fit so much better in your hand ! expensive yes but worth every penny. as far as the evolution would & is a great release as a do all i have friends that shoot them as their mainstay ,one even has his 12yr old shooting one very nice! back tension releases are a commitment u have to commit to it !!! good luck , good shootin to ya !!!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok now since I think I was wanting a hinge not a pure backtension. I think the HT will work good. Dad said that it wasn't bad price either.:wink:

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I was thinking of saving up the money and buying a Carter Evolution + on ebay. Does anyone reccomend this one or would you rather have a Zenith?
this would be your best bet!!! if you want me to explain why just send me a pm! i dont care what anyone says and evolution/loesch release is the absolute easiest and best way to use backtension

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Ok now since I think I was wanting a hinge not a pure backtension. I think the HT will work good. Dad said that it wasn't bad price either.:wink:
Glad to hear it! Welcome to the "darkside"...LOL

I
LOVE my Truball's...Never had any prob's out of them.

The HT is what I like, but make sure you get one in the size that fits your hand best (they come in Small, Medium, Large...2, 3 & 4 finger styles)...

If you're just starting out, I'd recommend a 4-finger starting out...

The size depends on your hand...

I have big hands so a Large felt better to me. The Small is pretty much a kid's-size release. Most folks shoot the Large...but if a medium fits better, then go with it.

But, glad to hear that you're getting an HT...

Don't get discouraged...It is not something that you can just simply start pulling back and letting 'em fly perfectly every time...It's gonna take some time to learn, and get your muscles in a rhythym.

Honestly...I'd start out shooting blank-bales with NO target just to make sure you get everything working perfectly...then work into targets, and keep working more.

Hope everything goes well...Keep us posted on your progress.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts