Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
Bowtech Realm SS 70/30.5
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Keep going back and forth, just looking for some input who has a backup bow? Pros/cons, are both bows the same? If running a backup, trouble switching between the 2? Also any recommendations on a backup bow, I’m currently shooting a Bowtech Realm SS 30.5”DL. Just looking for some insight. I mainly just bow hunt, a few 3D events each year. No bow shop nearby, about a 3 hour drive one way. Thanks in advance guys

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
If I was in your position, I’d definitely have a back up. Depends on how much you’d miss not having a bow for a couple days or weeks even during the season. I couldn’t imagine sitting out a couple days in early November. I have a couple back ups. Same brand but not model. I shoot them all, all year. No issues changing.

·
Registered
Bowtech Realm SS 70/30.5
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input👍🏻 I’m leaning that way but can’t quite make up my mind.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I suppose one might consider my mid 60's Bear Black Fox, which I bought new over 50 years ago, a backup bow. I've been thinking on this lately in fact. I'm not much interested in hunting these days due to issues with my mobility due to a medical problem, but this may change in the future.
The Black Fox is in the barely legal for deer category at 40-45 lb. Should a friend or relative get an opportunity to go hunting and need to borrow a bow the Black Fox should fill the bill. Its solid fiberglass construction and rubber grip makes it weather proof and resistant to abuse. Its also not valuable enough to make it worth stealing or a great loss should it disappear or be broken in some way.
I have seen a solid fiberglass bow broken apparently by dry firing, which must have required some effort, and a good bit of stupid. In fact I have that bow which I bought for five bucks at a junk shop intending to salvage the limbs for a crossbow project.
But for the most part these bows are rugged as they come.

·
Registered
912 Posts
My primary bow last year was bought with the intention of it being my backup bow. I got the Hoyt Torrex, a solid mid-level bow with exceptional performance for it's price.

I think it's always good to have a backup if/when something goes wrong with the primary bow. Especially in today's world where things take time due to whatever.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Last season I had 3 hunting bows and I would have kept all of them but due to shoulder surgery I switched to shooting RH. My new PSE EVL34 has some issues and will need to go into the shop right now thats my only bow. I have a Prime Nexus 6 coming and will be setting it up so I can give mine to the dealer to get fixed.

·
Registered
52,043 Posts
If you can a backup is always nice to have. Mine is a Switchback XT. Bought it new in 2006. Shoot a PSE now and can switch back and forth no problem.

·
The Impartial Archer
20,171 Posts
I had a backup, then an identical backup and I never used them. IMHO if you maintain the bow and don't shoot the lightest arrows you can (like 5 GPP) bows rarely fail. If they do most issues can be repaired by me in a few hours or days at worst unless I have to order a part or something. I can afford to miss a day or two during season if it comes to that.

All that said my favorite bow bar none is so old now (2007) that if I do ever find a bow to replace I'll have a backup again because I'd rather keep it than sell it for what the market will give me for it.

Need one probably not.....want one well that's different.............lol

·
Huntoholic
1,906 Posts
I back up is good to have even if you have a shop close by, I don't want to be down or rushing under pressure to tune a bow during the best part of the season. I keep the bow I am currently shooting as a back up when I get a new one and sell the old back up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I mainly tree stand hunt and in over 20 years of hunting haven’t needed a back up. With that being said, I love bows and trying new ones so I usually have a back up 😜

·
Registered
856 Posts
I have 2 back ups to my main bow haha. Primary back up is my bowtech rpm 360. Had to to take it out this past Sunday cause my peep.started rotating on my elite. It's a good idea to

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have two Hoyt Vantage X8 ( I am an old finger shooter)- Twice I have had bow derail ( pull rope an dumb move ) pulled out the backup I had with me- and shot deer that night. Would never hunt the rut without a backup with me.

·
Go Bucks
2,232 Posts
I will never be without a set up back up. About 10 years ago my nearly new Bowtech Destroyer got damaged as well as all the arrows in my quiver while I was adjusting my support bar on my ladder. Not sure what I was thinking but I loosened the nut on support bar to make a small adjustment and the ladder folded into the tree and on my bow I had lowered after a morning hunt. Damaged limbs and string set, I was done for weeks. Had another bow at home but was 2 hours away.

About 5 years ago had a 150" buck come in on a string after grunting at him. Straight at my stand, too straight, I drew at 35 yards as he walked toward me. Got to within 8 yards before giving me a shot angle, settled the pin and the release went off and when it did the bow nearly flew out of my hand. Neither of us knew what happened, he trotted to 30 yards and was looking around and I looked at my bow, everything seemed fine. Nocked an arrow only to see my LimbDriver had moved a LOT. As I had been aiming at him following him as he got closer I never cleared my armrest on the ladder, shot went off and cam slams into it. I did have another bow in the case at the truck for the evening.

Back-up: Never leave home without it. Completely different cam system, feel, and performance but tuned to the same arrows. Have extra arrows as well.

Reactions: dkkarr

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I always kept a backup bow until the last year or so (i usually keep my old bow), i currently shoot a Prime Black 3 and will use it for backup when i get my new bow later this year or early next year. In the past i mixed brands some, didn't bother my shooting at all, however years ago i admit to being a Mathews "fanboy", every bow i owned was a Mathews.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Since all I do is bow hunt i do maintain a backup bow that’s ready to go.
I liked having it on hunts away from the house. You may not be close to a
bow shop or know anyone when your out of state on a trip.

·
Registered
Bowtech Realm SS 70/30.5
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Instead of a backup bow, invest in a press, draw board, vise, fletching jig, and fix everything yourself. I did and wish I had done it sooner.
definitely planning on purchasing these item as well. But if parts fail I would not have a bow, or if I did something to damage limbs, cams, etc. but thank you for the input definitely going to buy tuning equipment as well

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
i had no idea so many people had backup bows....

When I bought a new bow in about 2014 I kept my old bow (really old) so I guess you could call it my back up bow. I keep my shots with it fairly close and the switch is not difficult.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts