Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend I bought a new dozen of Gold Tip Hunter XT's from Cabelas. Cabelas cut them to length. This week I took them out and shot them. I shot them a couple of times everything was fine. I shot one arrow and it blew up as soon as it hit the target. Later on I shot another and it blew up as soon as it hit the target again. I shot one more and it blew up as soon as I let the release go. I have never had a problem with Gold Tips and have been shooting them for 5 years. I thought these were the best arrows but I looked at them and the fletchings have glue all over them and with all these malfunctions and lacking in quality in this batch of arrows i bought. I was wondering if anyone knew the contact info for Gold Tip if not I have no choice but to move on to another brand.

· Registered
1,555 Posts
Honestly I have never heard anything like this happening. That said, its clear something is wrong with the set you bought the glue on the fletch issue is one thing, but the shattering of the shafts is another, I have to wonder if they were damaged while being shipped to or handled at Cabelas.

I reccomend not shooting the shafts until the issue is resolved. You can reach GoldTip at 800-551-0541, they can tell you what to do.

Have a good one.

Les

· Registered
783 Posts
i have heard of this ! it happened twice to my friend who is a very avid shooter. he did the same as you got goldtips ( not sure exactly wich ones or even if that matters) but he took to a chain store and in my opinion that alone is asking for truble, but ganders arrows saw blade was dull. this still allowed the arrows to but cut but not perciclly so it slightly splintered the ends. this made all his arrows have slight week points at each end. look into it. this all sounds so much the same.:thumbs_up

· Arrow Whisperer
11,164 Posts
Last weekend I bought a new dozen of Gold Tip Hunter XT's from Cabelas. Cabelas cut them to length. This week I took them out and shot them. I shot them a couple of times everything was fine. I shot one arrow and it blew up as soon as it hit the target. Later on I shot another and it blew up as soon as it hit the target again. I shot one more and it blew up as soon as I let the release go. I have never had a problem with Gold Tips and have been shooting them for 5 years. I thought these were the best arrows but I looked at them and the fletchings have glue all over them and with all these malfunctions and lacking in quality in this batch of arrows i bought. I was wondering if anyone knew the contact info for Gold Tip if not I have no choice but to move on to another brand.
If you have problems getting a gold tip person to help you shoot me a pm and I will get with my gold tip rep and see if we can get to the bottom of this for you.

· Registered
1,621 Posts
Last year I had the same thing two arrows came apart when they hit the target. Broke right in the middle. That was the only two that done this. I cut the rest of the arrows down gave to my wife shes had no problems.

· Banned
18,714 Posts
Not that I dont believe you......:tongue:, but Ive been shooting Goldtips exclusively for ten years, ever since they came out, and Ive never heard of that.....the only way that could happen is they were cracked before you got them or shooter error somehow.....:confused:

· Registered
778 Posts
for what ever reason it happened, Box them up and send them to gold -tip, their customer service is great and I am certian they will take care of you. Either that, or take them back to cabelas and they will give you another set but please have them cut by someone with a good saw and who knows what they are doing. My gut instinct is that either the arrows got "smashed" in shipping or in storage or the cuts were frayed from a bad blade.

Glad you are okay.

· Registered
7,294 Posts
i have heard of this ! it happened twice to my friend who is a very avid shooter. he did the same as you got goldtips ( not sure exactly wich ones or even if that matters) but he took to a chain store and in my opinion that alone is asking for truble, but ganders arrows saw blade was dull. this still allowed the arrows to but cut but not perciclly so it slightly splintered the ends. this made all his arrows have slight week points at each end. look into it. this all sounds so much the same.:thumbs_up

all abrasive disk cutters are 'dull' the rotational speed and the thickness of the disk are what makes them 'sharp'.

more than likely, with your gander mtn guy, he forced the shaft against the cutting wheel instead of letting the cutting wheel 'pull' the shaft as it cuts. a slow speed and too much pressure or pushing the shaft against the wheel before it is up to speed will leave a ragged edge.

for all i know, they could be using the wrong wheel altogether.

· Registered
10,560 Posts
I am sure either Gold Tip or the ones that sold them to you will take good care of you and your problem. Sounds like a problem that happened when getting cut and if they where fletched by the buyer that is also the problem for that. I have been shooting Gold Tips for going on 4 yrs. now and have bought G/T Ultra Lts. 300 & 400s and the X-Cutters and XTs and the Ted Nugets for my recuve with no problems what so ever. Good luck Badbow.

· Registered
1,343 Posts
Look guys,
arrows dont just blow up without damage or some other factor. Gold Tip or other brands. I dont know all the details but a lot can happen to shafts from transit to the dealer from the manufacturer until they end up in your hands. You need to check your arrows with a simple flex test. It will tell you if they are safe to shoot or have been damaged. Something could have been accidentally dropped on them or they could have been damaged grouping shafts. I once had a X-cutter break in two coming out of the bow. With a little further investigation, I had been keeping my arrow in the case with my bow and the bow was damaging the arrows becasue i found two more. If you think you have a warranty issue call us at Gold Tip and we will be more than happy to take care of the problem, but we do have to follow a protocol and have you send them back. We want you to feel confident that you are getting a top notch product with Gold tip arrows. There is still some shooter responsibility to take care of your arrows and keep them in safe working order. They are tough but not bullet proof so you need to keep an eye on your nocks and shafts and inspect them for damage especially if you are grouping shafts. Make this a part of your shooting routine and you will ensure you always have a safe ,enjoyable time shooting

· "Catch Us If You Can"
3,286 Posts
call gold tip they will take care of you asap. I had some GT's that had the factory fletchings falling off I sent back the ones that fell off which was like 5 and they sent me a whole dozen back for my troubles. Great company to deal with.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.