Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Saturday was my bachelor party so me and a group find a place to go hog hunting. We were all experienced hunters but none of us had ever hunted hogs before. We found a place only 1.5 hrs away and the website had great pics of hogs under feeders and and the whole nine yards and boasted about the quality and number of hogs. The price seemed fair $175 per person for any hog under 100lbs. So we get there about dawn and sign our papers and pay get our instructions and let in the gate. (This is a high fence hunt) it didn't take us long to figure out what we had gotten our self into. All the feeders were empty some had wires hanging and no motors. The box blind was a joke and sketchy as hell. The rest of the stands were all barely 6ft high. No shooting lanes and there was only one small field and the rest of the area was trees and thicket so thick you could barely crawl through it. Now to the quality of the hogs, there was bones everywhere and some still had skin on them. The guy said it was from other people making bad shots and poor tracking but we were the only hunters in a month so it doesn't explain the dead hogs with hide still on them. On top of that we found a couple hogs that were either sick or starved so bad the could barely raised their head and had no wounds on them. Out of 8 of us only one hog was shot and the owner said it was so skinny it wasnt worth butchering. My questions are is this the norm? Did I get what I paid for? Should we ask for our money back?

·
Registered
883 Posts
I think I would report this operation to some sort of authorities. Not to get your money back but for the animals sake. I've never dealt with any kind of high fence operation but I'm sure there's permits and licenses involved and I don't think u can pen in a bunch of pigs with no food. Sounds like a shady place.

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
You should have left as soon as you saw the conditions of the place. It might be tough to get your money back if you stayed for the whole hunt. I would try to get my money back first then report them to the proper authority.

·
74,535 Posts
Shame.

Price should hav been first qlue.

Ok and Ark and Texas all have some fine hog hunting operations. $250.00 seems the going rate or maybe a few dollars more.

I would report this opertion to state DNR. That sounds as bad as it gets.
DB

·
Vendor
84,682 Posts
Some times DNR has nothing to do with it since its a Hog hunting operation. Usually its the state Agriculture department who handles the approval of Hog preserves and it sounds like a Disease killing the hogs and starving them could possibly be the case .

·
crossbows are archery :)
7,063 Posts
wow that sux! I would call the Dept of Agriculture. I would have walked out at first chance. By the sounds of thing I would not nor let my family eat anything from the place! :pukey:

koz

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
Post the name of the place so another member dosnt go there. I would have talked to someone before you left. Call the manager, find the owner and ask more questions, ask for your money back, report the business, call the DNR, state ag dept, etc.

·
Registered
23,268 Posts
That is just awful and should definitely be reported. Funny how you go to shoot an animal and then end of feeling sorry for them when you see they are starved by the totally uncaring. This "operation" should be shut down immediately and the operators prosecuted for fraud and abuse. Another black eye for the high fence "industry"..........:pukey:

·
BIRD HUNTER
11,193 Posts
first thing is to tell us the name of the place. so others can avoid it. i think i talk to the dnr about the conditions ...

·
Registered
566 Posts
Definitely report this, DNR, dept. of Ag or, humane society? And definitely post it up on here, so no one else goes there. If it is an operation that is simply letting the hogs starve etc. or are being neglected something needs to be done.

·
Premium Member
4,970 Posts
Where were you hunting? How many acres?

A sounder can easily cover 20 sq. miles to forage, and they tend to cycle in and out of any given feeder area. A high fenced operation offering hog hunts ought to have its act together much better than what you describe. For starters, that fence cost them a bundle, and the only way they can justify it is to have happy hunters referring others.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Call them threating to call the DNR if you don't get your money back.....Once you get your money back call the DNR.

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
you got taken to the cleaners,, so air out your dirty laundry! name the place and state,,,, Im not sure about reporting it to anyone because in most places hogs are a nuisance and being killed any way possible,, lots of them getting mowed down in texas from helicopters,,,,

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
First of all I feel for you. I honestly wouldn't expect to see your money back. Something isn't adding up though. Just because its high fence and there feeders were in that shape the hogs shouldn't have been starving. Were I have hunted them in Tx the corn was more of a candy to them then staple food supply. Plus hogs can get through or under a fence. I know of a high fence place in Tx that has the fence up to keep them out but they still get in.

·
Registered
10,387 Posts
Re: Bad experience on a paid hog hunt wanting advise

They sure have a convincing website. good thing I read this first or I would of booked one!

sent from my LG Escape.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
A lot of these canned hog hunts are rip-offs.I know an outfitter who has bought pigs(out of a pen) and turned them loose at a feeder a few hours before the hunter arrived.$60 bucks for a pig,$250 for a guy to shoot it.Pretty good profit.People will do anything for money these days.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts