Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Huntoholic
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend that has a bad hip, he is mobile but very stiff in that joint and has a pronounced limp, he got back into hunting last year, got a buck, and is now looking to expand his opportunities during this season, he is really excited about hunting again. He has been doing some bow hunting from a ground blind, but wants to try and use a climber, I have a Ol'Man aluminum stand we are going to try, I have not put it on the scales but I think it is in the 19-22 pound range.

This is my request, point me in the direction of the lightest easiest to use climber, those of you that have actually used one, especially if you have some physical limitation that makes using one difficult, and what you see good and or not so good in each.

Thank you in advance, and Merry Christmas to you all.

·
Vendor
1,711 Posts
I have a friend that has a bad hip, he is mobile but very stiff in that joint and has a pronounced limp, he got back into hunting last year, got a buck, and is now looking to expand his opportunities during this season, he is really excited about hunting again. He has been doing some bow hunting from a ground blind, but wants to try and use a climber, I have a Ol'Man aluminum stand we are going to try, I have not put it on the scales but I think it is in the 19-22 pound range.

This is my request, point me in the direction of the lightest easiest to use climber, those of you that have actually used one, especially if you have some physical limitation that makes using one difficult, and what you see good and or not so good in each.

Thank you in advance, and Merry Christmas to you all.
THE EQUALIZER a self leveling climbing tree stand....START LEVEL STAY LEVEL on ascent and descent....bad hip or bad back if you can sit you can climb in an EQUALIZER.

Thousands and Thousands in the field since 2003.

GoTo: YouTube ' Equalizer vs Higher Level tree stand '

Originals Last !

Weight for the 21.5 Equalizer 20 pds....less with the mesh seat.

·
Registered
24,903 Posts
Think most sit and climbs will be in the 20lbs area esp if you add better straps. Think a lonewolf sit and climb w/ hazmore will be closer to 17, think my stand dropped 2.5# when I switched seats.

I have summit viper and lonewolf sit and climb wide. I think the viper is easier to climb with but the lonewolf is faster to level if needed and also alot better to pack in and out.

The lonewolf puts you closer to the tree vs the summit so idk if his hip would like that vs the more distant summit.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Won't suggest a particular climber, but one in general that's not a sit and climb.
Something like my API with the open front because I can do a lot with just my upper body.

·
Mark
5,425 Posts
How bad is the hip?

·
Registered
318 Posts
i have been thru this with my dad. he fell and had to have his hip replaced. still is very stiff and has a slight limp. he used to use a loggy for years before this. after the accident we have tried his loggy and my viper and a few others. its not actually the sit and climb that gets him. its the load of carrying the stand on his back to and from the tree. i would just advise your friend that even though he might get a climber to work is he going to be able to help himself incase he falls out or gets stuck on a knot on a tree. We ended up getting my dad a few cheap ladder stands with lifelines.

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
Depending on how bad his hip is a climber might not be an option. But as was said carrying one with a bad hip could be the issue. I have had issues with my hip for years so some years ago I deloped a treestand cart out of a firewood cart bought at Harbor Freight, it works great. Not as big as a game cart it's well balanced and can go anywhere. You need to post whether he is capable of using a climber. I am getting older and looking at climbers myself for a couple of years after using a Summit for 25 years, something easier to carry. The LW sit and climb seems like the best choice, although it is quite pricey.
As far as safety goes a Treestand Wingman is a must have.

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
best advice i can give you for him is the stand will not be the issue it will be the load and getting in and out. Have him check out the QuietKat electric bikes to alleviate that problem and he will hunt much more and further from the vehicle. My bet will be that he would really like a LW sit and climb for packability on the bike as well.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Whatever he chooses it should be of the sit and climb variety....like a Summit viper or a Lone Wolf with the front bar.....WAY easier to climb with these than a hand climber.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Sucks when the mind is willing but the body isn't able. I would invest in something like a Summit Viper; something I know that can easily be sold if it doesn't work out with the hip.

·
Huntoholic
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Many thanks to all for the replies, will try to keep you posted as to progress.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Also-remember that he doesn't HAVE to climb at all- there's a LOT to be said for hunting from the ground!
Blinds and ghillie suits can be just as effective as treestands, and a lot easier if the hunter develops good techniques for using them.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Injuries are different--My body has been broken n beat up by racehorses my whole life--and I am old now, but my knees are worse than my hips at this point. I use and always will have a lone wold assault hand climber. 17lbs. I took stock seat and put it un bottom of foot section to make comfortable to carry on my back, and a hunt comfort seat on the seat platform for all day sit in comfort. Comared to my hangon stands, it is way easier on my body to carry and climb in that stand. And it shows, I have shot double the amount of deer from it than from all of the other stands combinded. It sets up as quiet as a climber can and is super well built. I bought and sold the larger hand climber, a tree saddle, and many hangons-- IMG_6722 (1).JPG

·
Vendor
25,102 Posts
17 pounds is pretty light to carry but the energy saved carrying is mostly spent climbing compared to a sit and climb. Not sure but a hand climber may be difficult for someone with a bad hip.
Here is my new favorite. I love my higher level 24 magnum archer but it is heavier and bigger than the 21.5. Yesterday I wanted to hunt up on a ridge. For me it was a long steep walk and I wanted to cut the weight. I did a few modifications to the stand. Took the stock seat off and put on the hammock seat. Aftering making adjustments to the seat in the height and how low it hung it to me was as comfortable as the stock Summit seat without the back cushion. Put on the Third Hand bow holder, Stabilizer straps and tree stand treads. The stand came in now to be 19.6 pounds.
IMG_20171220_115706629_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

After the mods and weighing it, headed for the woods. The foot adjustment crank worked sweet.

IMG_20171220_143755777_HDR.jpg

Started with the stand at this angle, got to about 15 feet and adjusted it again and climbed another 10'.
IMG_20171220_143734193_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
Jim can you tell us the weight of just the platform? Might be an awesome set up with a LW top.

·
Vendor
1,711 Posts
17 pounds is pretty light to carry but the energy saved carrying is mostly spent climbing compared to a sit and climb. Not sure but a hand climber may be difficult for someone with a bad hip.
Here is my new favorite. I love my higher level 24 magnum archer but it is heavier and bigger than the 21.5. Yesterday I wanted to hunt up on a ridge. For me it was a long steep walk and I wanted to cut the weight. I did a few modifications to the stand. Took the stock seat off and put on the hammock seat. Aftering making adjustments to the seat in the height and how low it hung it to me was as comfortable as the stock Summit seat without the back cushion. Put on the Third Hand bow holder, Stabilizer straps and tree stand treads. The stand came in now to be 19.6 pounds.
View attachment 6340339

After the mods and weighing it, headed for the woods. The foot adjustment crank worked sweet.

View attachment 6340353

Started with the stand at this angle, got to about 15 feet and adjusted it again and climbed another 10'.
View attachment 6340357
YOUTUBE: over 12,000 views of this video 'Equalizer vs Higher Level tree stand'......this video by 2 hunters SAYS IT WELL.....

·
Vendor
25,102 Posts
Jim can you tell us the weight of just the platform? Might be an awesome set up with a LW top.
Brad I just got it out of the jeep and weighed it for ya. With the bottom part of the stabilizer straps attached and treestand treads, it weighs 9 lbs. 7 oz. The only problem to this is the bottoms aren't sold separately.:cry:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts