Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shot a big one Monday afternoon. I shot him broadside at 30yds. He must have taken a step or i was canting the bow because I hit him close to the pelvic bone through both hams. The arrow was sticking out of him. Fletching out of one leg, broadhead out the other leg. He ran a bit then started walking away. I watched him carry my arrow away with him. I waited about 45min and got down and went after him. I figured if I push him he would bleed out. Well, I found blood and it was good for 200yds. Then I found my arrow at the last blood puddle. I figured that the four or five previous blood puddles was where he was trying to get it out. At that point I lost blood and went to get help. We tracked it for another 50 yds and our lights gave out. I went out early yesterday and picked up the blood again. the deer went along a fence and across a dirt road. Now we're talkin maybe 350yds. I lost blood there and never picked it up again. I'm wondering what you all think? He lost a lot of blood. Every puddle looked like it held maybe a pint or more of blood.
How much blood must a deer lose to die?
What are your thoughts of what happened to him?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
My initial thought is you may have made a huge mistake trying to find him so quickly. On a shot that is that questionable, I think you would have probably been better off leaving him alone until morning. Sounds like he has lost quite a bit of blood, and if you hit either femoral artery back there, I can promise you he is dead, but there is no way to tell that. By following him so quickly, you may have pushed him into the next state. I'd say, if you can keep looking in the direction he was heading and hope for the best. He may also still be alive, it is possible. Next time, give him at least a few hours on a poor hit. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
The femarol (m/s) is the only lethal shot in the hams i beleive, and if you hit that it would have been lights out very quick, but the blood you desribe seems a bit too heavy for a muscle only it, and i dont think a deer would bed down after such a short time if the hit was nonlethal. The best thing would be to get some dogs and get back on the blood. Have and good buddies? Have you tried a grid search yet? I would search for a P&Y until i could no longer walk LOL. Good luck with finding it.

·
Registered
17,864 Posts
Where at in the hams?

Right off I think he's dead. Find a dog that can trail blood if that is legal there.

You did OK pushing a muscle hit deer. That is what keeps them bleeding. It may move further but the more they move the more they bleed.

Even without the artery there are plenty of veins in the hams and broadheads make pretty major wounds.
Was it more than a 2 blade?

I could only see a minor 2 blade ham wound healing.

In the least it is bedded down and stiff waiting for another shot.

·
Registered
369 Posts
My wife's uncle made a shot like that 2 years ago on a buck during archery season.

3 weeks later my father-in-law shot a buck during rifle season. We went to field dress the buck and couldn't cut through the pelvic bone. After washing away some of the blood- you guessed it- it was the same buck shot by his brother 3 weeks earlier.
The alumn. arrow broke off on each end right under the hide of the hind quarters. The arrow shaft was along the pelvic bone.

This deer showed no signs of being injured. We kicked him up twice, ran normal, even swam the river; but died on the opposite bank when my father-in-law shot him.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Two mistakes IMO. You went after him to soon after the shot. Those pools of blood indicate he was standing still. That's what causes the pooling. He wanted to lay down and he was checking his back trail. If he did not detect danger he would have layed down but you got caught. MYK and I have different approaches on ham shot deer. I don't push and I guess he does. I get mine back and apparently he must also if he takes ham shots. I do. The bottom line is that a solid ham shot is going to kill it and it will seldom go over 100 yds(not-pushed). Do you want to find it close to where you shot it or do you want a longer trailing job? Except for rain or density of hunters, once an animal is hit, TIME is your friend. Unless we see or hear an animal go down, we give them an hour-minimum. Liver shot or gut shot,4hours-minimum. If there are other hunters ie public land you might have to push to keep some SOB from tagging your deer. It happens. If it rains so as slowly as posible and still find blood until an hour has passed, then speed it up. This works for us. That said I don't think you got much of the ham for two reasons. The arrow should have passed through, so you must have gotten some bone. Secondly the blood should not have ended until close the the animal. Let us know when you find him.

·
Registered Elker
7,716 Posts
I have had good previous experience pushing ham shot deer as in both cases we caught up to them after about 350-500 yards and made a second, more lethal hit. Neither of these were in the femarol artery. We usually gave it 30+ minutes wait first and went very slow with our eye's up looking for the deer more than blood on the ground.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
My boys and I have shot 16 elk in the ham and only 2 ever went over 100yds. We don't push them and we have never lost one. We wait at least an hour before trailing unless we hear or see them fall down. It depends on how much of a trailing job you want to do. Ham shots are lethal and once an animal is hit time is in your favor. We usually get something to eat, discuss the event and just kill some time.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Goldtimp...Where in va are you loacted??? I am in the Fredericksburg area.. I might be able to get my hands on a dog to help if not I am willing to come out and help you look for your deer..

I am always helping family, friends , friends of friends, cousins of friends of friends.. well you get the idea.. I am always helping alot of people track animals.. I love to do it and feel I am pretty decent at it......

I had to learn to trail a wounded animal before I was allowed to even attempt to harvest one... didnt agree when I was a kid learning but now I am very happy I was taught that way!!!

Anyway if you need a hand please feel free to let me know I will drive a couple of hours if you need the help..

Justin

my email.... [email protected]

·
Registered
82 Posts
find a buddy with a heat sensor

if you know somone with a heat sensor jump on it. they are also called game trackers. we have found deer with them things 12 or more hours after being shot. also leave him go for a few and hope he stiffens up, if he beds down for the night chances are he wont get up.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Eng,
I shot him on Fort Belvoir. Unless you have a green card, I don't think they will let you go into the woods me. It is pouring rain right now so what ever blood there was is now gone. I'm hoping the birds found him and they be circleling soon. Maybe I'll be able to find him that way. The meat will be no good but it won't stop me from tagging it. That deer lost so much blood that i feel he is dead.
As for pushing him, I thought it being a muscle hit, I needed to push him to keep him bleeding.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a story almost the same but I let the deer go for two hours before trailing it. I had good blood for 100+ yards then it turned to quarter size drops every five feet or so. The deer went up one hill then went up another huge hill that is 120 yards up. Then it went 500 more yards and bedded. I followed the trail very slowly. I shot it at 7:30 and jumped it at 3:45 in the after noon. The bed had little blood in it (I assume he was cleaning it the whole time) it ran away, I followed for 150 more yards and left him till morning. The next two days we searched a half mile square area but no deer. I think he made it. The only thing dif is the hit, I hit him square in the ham under the nutz and it went through both hams and broke in half when he ran. I assume this is just a flesh wound because he went a minnimum of 3/4 mile before he bedded and after 8 hours he still ran away and went a minnimum of 1/2 mile more.

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Try Soem Tinks Starlight blood hound at night mix bbu srirling never shaking place spray at last blood and turn all light off Blood will glow pale Blue in total darkness PS its ahrd to find our Spray

TINK

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.