Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I hit a deer on the shoulder. The shot was a bit High but appeared to be right on the shoulder itself. I tracked it for a bit seeing thumb size drops of Bright Red blood. I backed out and returned 1 hour later with some help. after 1 1/2 hours of searching we ran out of bloodtrail and no signs of the deer. I went back this morning and searched for 3 hours with no luck. Now after all that My question is can the deer dislodge the arrow and still survive? I do not believe after all this that the Shot was fatal. any suggestions.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Well, it depends on how deep the arrow penetrated into the animal. Then a fair observation can be made.

·
Registered
783 Posts
You might keep checking the thicker brushy areas or a near by water source. Watch for buzzards or coyote sign (tracks coming or going to an area).
As far as mental advice I say shake it off and get back in the stand. It has happened to alot of us and hopefully you learned a few things from the ordeal.
Good luck and welcome to AT.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe it hit at the Joint up high No buzzards today when i went back this morning and again tonight nothing. I crawled around the brush. I agree with the short memory on this. I will be back at it on Friday.

·
Registered
218 Posts
crows will find it before buzzards

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
the deer is still alive no doubt i hit one high in the shoulder one day, jumped him bedded down with a doe three hours later found which direction he was going got in front of him again while he was chasing does like it didnt even bother him luckily i got another arrow in him after about 6 hours to finish him off. the deer is still alive for how long????????

1 - 7 of 7 Posts