Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I managed to see Marie-Pierre Beaudet (the Canadian Olympian) at the Arizona Cup recently. I think she's a brilliant archer, though I was a little shocked to see the treatment she got from USA Team member Joy Fahrenkrog.

Joy refused to leave the line when Marie-Pierre was about to shoot against her. Joy was done with her arrows, she had had her shot but just didn't move! She just stayed on the line and watched her.

I think I would have been a mess! The intimidation didn’t work and she beat Fahrenkrog with out raising a heart beat :teeth: .

Is it just me being sensitive, or is this the hight of rudeness in archery?

:thumbs_do or :thumbs_up

·
Registered
24,470 Posts
whats with all the joy joy threads today......

i may not approve of the way joy carpet bagged AT.....but i hadnt heard of her being a bad competitor....

and i always thought it was good conduct to actually stay on the line with your competiton......maybe im wrong....cant say i know all the ins and out of the eithics of merit archery.....

however, i have to wonder what would be more intimadating on the line....wondering if my competitor is going to throw off arrows to avoid beating me because they dont want to face the next challenger....or standing on the line waiting for me to finish.....the choices we have to live with nowadays....

the things we do for merit nowadays.....

·
Premium Member
20,334 Posts
kelvin Yale said:
I managed to see Marie-Pierre Beaudet (the Canadian Olympian) at the Arizona Cup recently. I think she's a brilliant archer, though I was a little shocked to see the treatment she got from USA Team member Joy Fahrenkrog.

Joy refused to leave the line when Marie-Pierre was about to shoot against her. Joy was done with her arrows, she had had her shot but just didn't move! She just stayed on the line and watched her.

I think I would have been a mess! The intimidation didn’t work and she beat Fahrenkrog with out raising a heart beat :teeth: .

Is it just me being sensitive, or is this the hight of rudeness in archery?

:thumbs_do or :thumbs_up
I'm surprised there was no protest. I believe the rules require shooters to leave the line when finished.

I was scolded earlier this year at the NAA Indoor Nationals when I did not leave the line when I was finished. I shoot lefty, and did not want to leave the line while the righty in front of me was still shooting. The NAA official scolded me anyway, and said I had to leave the line unless the person in front of me was at full draw.

·
Registered
16,232 Posts
Pardon my lack of merit........... but is the "line" similar to the "stake" ????

I was always taught that a "line" gives you the next higher score........ ;)

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
onebowtie said:
whats with all the joy joy threads today......

i may not approve of the way joy carpet bagged AT.....but i hadnt heard of her being a bad competitor....

and i always thought it was good conduct to actually stay on the line with your competiton......maybe im wrong....cant say i know all the ins and out of the eithics of merit archery.....

however, i have to wonder what would be more intimadating on the line....wondering if my competitor is going to throw off arrows to avoid beating me because they dont want to face the next challenger....or standing on the line waiting for me to finish.....the choices we have to live with nowadays....

the things we do for merit nowadays.....

I guess I wanted to know how others felt about it. I'm not really up on archery etiquette. I wasn't sure if I was reading too much into the action.

Sorry, hadn't noticed the ambush on Joy at the time of posting either.

·
washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
I didn't know you were supposed to leave?? I always stand on the line until the end is finished in the NFAA. Must have something to do with the pants in NAA?

·
Premium Member
20,334 Posts
AKDoug said:
I didn't know you were supposed to leave?? I always stand on the line until the end is finished in the NFAA. Must have something to do with the pants in NAA?
I'm with you on this one AKDoug. At all of the NFAA events this year, I would stay on the line until the shooters in front of me and behind me were finished shooting.

I did not understand the NAA rule of leaving when finished, and thought about asking the judge to show me the rule. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
16,232 Posts
olsenck said:
I'm with you on this one AKDoug. At all of the NFAA events this year, I would stay on the line until the shooters in front of me and behind me were finished shooting.

I did not understand the NAA rule of leaving when finished, and thought about asking the judge to show me the rule. :rolleyes:

OK...... my lack of merit is surfacing again........ but if you have shooters in front of you AND behind you........... are you in the line of fire???? :eek:

Or do you mean shooting positions beside you ?????

·
Archery Coach
23,297 Posts
SPECTRE said:
OK...... my lack of merit is surfacing again........ but if you have shooters in front of you AND behind you........... are you in the line of fire???? :eek:

Or do you mean shooting positions beside you ?????
RH shooter-a guy behind you is on the left of you on the line. The guy to your right is in front of you.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
It is reguarded as good manners not to do anythiing that would disturb an archer shooting near you. To me that means you do not move off the line or make any sudden movments until those near you have released their arrows. having said that I learnt a long time ago to isolate myself from my suroundings and only pay attention to the things that matter.

·
Registered
16,232 Posts
Jim C said:
RH shooter-a guy behind you is on the left of you on the line. The guy to your right is in front of you.

That's exactly what I thought. My merit is swelling as we speak....... :star:

I would think it rude and unsportsmanlike to do ANYTHING to distract a shooter beside you on the line. Not knowing the rules, I might think that you would wait until the shooters beside you should finish before you leave the line.

Just my opinion though. :confused:

I might also think that Joy remaining on the line was an attempt at intimidation. :embarasse

·
Don't Tread On Anyone
1,496 Posts
You DO NOT leave the line when an archer adjacent to you is drawing or at full draw. That's rude.

·
Registered
24,470 Posts
TER said:
You DO NOT leave the line when an archer adjacent to you is drawing or at full draw. That's rude.
please explain the naa judge warning olsey for loitering on the line.....

·
Don't Tread On Anyone
1,496 Posts
onebowtie said:
Judges and archers rarely agree on what's proper. Chris said the judge said stay on when the archer is at full draw. But I wouldn't want a lefty standing there staring at me if I wasn't drawing or at full-draw.

·
NC ASA Director
36,016 Posts
I don't think they should even let lefties even shoot. :D

On this line thing, do you have to stand behind it, have your foot touch it, or straddle it?

Cause with my 3D skills, I would try to put my back heel on it and stretch towards the target to get as close as possible. :wink:

·
Premium Member
20,334 Posts
onebowtie said:
This occurred at the NAA National Indoor at the SE regional in Conyers, GA this year. I have always stayed on the line until the archers on both sides of me were finished. I don't like leaving early for two reasons: 1) I don't like risking distracting anyone...and I can see the archer to my left, but not my right...if there is a lefty to my right, I don't know if they are at full draw or not. 2) I think it is courteous to stay on the line until others around you are done and not leave them up there alone.

At Conyers, I stayed on the line while a lady archer was finishing her end. She was obviously nerveous, and was in contention (she eventually won). I knew whe would be more nerveous if I left her there alone. Vic Wunderle was shooting to my right, and I did not want to bother him either when I left.

The judge, who I won't name (for now), approached me after the end and told me I had to leave the line when I was finished unless the person I was facing was at full draw. I asked him if this was a rule, and he responded that it was the only way he could tell when everyone was done. He also put me in timeout right at the beginning of the tournament when I shot an arrow right at the buzzer of the final practice round....he said that if I had shot that arrow just after the buzzer it would be considered my first shot for score and I would get a zero. :rolleyes:

I'm not knocking this guy or the event. The club hosting the SE Regional is wonderful, and deserves much credit. I assume the judge was just doing his job and enforcing the rules. ;)

·
Archery Coach
23,297 Posts
olsenck said:
This occurred at the NAA National Indoor at the SE regional in Conyers, GA this year. I have always stayed on the line until the archers on both sides of me were finished. I don't like leaving early for two reasons: 1) I don't like risking distracting anyone...and I can see the archer to my left, but not my right...if there is a lefty to my right, I don't know if they are at full draw or not. 2) I think it is courteous to stay on the line until others around you are done and not leave them up there alone.

At Conyers, I stayed on the line while a lady archer was finishing her end. She was obviously nerveous, and was in contention (she eventually won). I knew whe would be more nerveous if I left her there alone. Vic Wunderle was shooting to my right, and I did not want to bother him either when I left.

The judge, who I won't name (for now), approached me after the end and told me I had to leave the line when I was finished unless the person I was facing was at full draw. I asked him if this was a rule, and he responded that it was the only way he could tell when everyone was done. He also put me in timeout right at the beginning of the tournament when I shot an arrow right at the buzzer of the final practice round....he said that if I had shot that arrow just after the buzzer it would be considered my first shot for score and I would get a zero. :rolleyes:

I'm not knocking this guy or the event. The club hosting the SE Regional is wonderful, and deserves much credit. I assume the judge was just doing his job and enforcing the rules. ;)
PM me and let me know the judge's name if you remember it. I try to keep a list of that stuff

Jim

·
Registered
24,470 Posts
so, am i to assume we have no clarity on this naa issue?????

you have shooters saying one thing, judges saying another thing.....

doomed i say....were all doomed

·
Don't Tread On Anyone
1,496 Posts
onebowtie said:
so, am i to assume we have no clarity on this naa issue?????

you have shooters saying one thing, judges saying another thing.....

doomed i say....were all doomed
I think everyone agrees you don't leave when an archer adjacent to you is drawing or at full draw. I wouldn't want someone just standing there while I shot a couple of arrows, and the judges definitely don't allow that.

You're also not supposed to scope your last arrow.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts