Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am colorblind, I could be standing in a pool of blood in the leaves and not see it. I know i did it last year. Does anybody have any good suggestions on game trackers? I have a string tracker but it compromizes arrow flight and i've had it tangle in the weeds causing it to break and loosing the deer.(very bad feeling) I'm new to site so hello

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Cabelas

On page 403 of cabelas fall edition II there is a light called the "Carnivore blood light." $ 49.99 + tax. you could get a dog. I did.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
I shot a doe at near dark a few years back and only had a red light on me to track. needless to say, it was pretty much useless. it was a say quarter moon night and I found a decent blood trail without a light by seeing the blood shine in the remaining sunlight/moonlight. that might help. I just started looking and for that and things out of the ordinary. now I didn't recover her like that, I did have to get a light, but it just might work.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
My was bred for it.

My pup was bred for it. The instinct is very strong in the breed. at 8 weeks she was following a blood trail that was 20 yards long. At 8 months 150 yards.It helps if they are young, but get some deer blood, I do this by buying a syringe from the Feed store that has a long rubber tube attached, that way i can get into the cavity without to much trouble.Then I peel the hide off a deer completely. even off the head. get you about 15 ' of 3/8" nylon rope tie the hide on it. get some 20 lb test fishing line and fix it so that the wrag that is attached to Line will drag about 6 feet behind the hide. Saturate the wrag with deer blood. Drag away. I get into a tug of war with her and hide and it makes a game out of it.Oh I forgot tie a couple of legs that have been cut off at knee caps that way the glands in the feet will also leave scent. As far as dogs go You can use any dog that have a deep a nose. Labs fit the bill.

·
Excited Delerium
1,024 Posts
Just get a spray bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide, if you think it is a spot of blood, spray it. If it's blood, it will foam up like crazy. Easy, and cheap.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Hey Elk

You know I have to put that one in my top drawer along with why didn't I invent the slinky?LOL

·
Registered
88 Posts
Elk in CO said:
Just get a spray bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide, if you think it is a spot of blood, spray it. If it's blood, it will foam up like crazy. Easy, and cheap.

:wink: Yep thats what I'd recomend, The spray bottle of Peroxide WORKS GREAT :thumbs_up

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Me too.

I have the same problem...the perxoide works pretty good...i also have tried the string trackers,infrared heatseekers etc. with limited results...i am waiting to see what kind of reviews the "blood lights" get before i invest in one of them.

I just try to take high percentage shots and also have a good hunting pardner that helps me.

best wishes

John

·
Registered
94 Posts
You can also learn to track without following blood. An animal just stuck runs, quite often, with reckless abandon at first and slows to a lumbering walk. They leave a lot of sign and impact on the area, other than blood.

It takes practice, but it can be a fun hobby in which you get to spend time in the woods, tracking animals....

peroxide works as well...:darkbeer:

·
Registered
988 Posts
what if the blood has dried? Does it still foam up alot?

BTG19

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
peroxide works well but you must also mark the trail after you spray the peroxide

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your problem...Tracking deer is hard enough as it is...

Sounds like the peroxide is going to be your best bet...I had never heard that before, but makes perfect sense...

Thanks for the tip...!

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
holepuncher said:
On page 403 of cabelas fall edition II there is a light called the "Carnivore blood light." $ 49.99 + tax. you could get a dog. I did.
I'm not sure that this would work for him, this light works because it floods the area with red light with is the reflected off the blood, not being able to see red I can not see how it would help.

krazyracer,

If the game tracker you are using is the Eastman Game Tracker you are probibly using the orange string. I have found that the orange string does cause problems with arrow flight but the White doesn't (it doesn't even feel the same and must be something in the dye). Unfortunately, Eastman has chosen to stop making the white string, you may have some luck finding someones old stock.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts