Archery Talk Forum banner

Badlands Packs

2316 Views 26 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  p47dman
Are Badlands packs worth the money? Been thinking of buying a Superday pack for one or two days away from camp but wonder if they are worth the dough. Thanks
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
14,406 Posts
Yes is the easy answer, but what type of hunting are you doing? If you are just stand hunting for whitetails, there are a lot of packs that will work just fine. If you will be Elk or Sheep hunting the high country, carrying you camp on your back 100& of the time, and then packing out an animal, a good pack is much more important.

· Registered
2,991 Posts
Yes is the easy answer, but what type of hunting are you doing? If you are just stand hunting for whitetails, there are a lot of packs that will work just fine. If you will be Elk or Sheep hunting the high country, carrying you camp on your back 100& of the time, and then packing out an animal, a good pack is much more important.
+1...if I were mostly a treestand hunter I probably wouldn't see the need the dough, but if you need a real pack then I'd definitely recommend a Badlands. They make a great pack. Suspension systems are top-notch, which is something you don't always find even it so-called top of the line packs.

You mentioned that you're interested in the Superday for 1 or 2 day trips away from camp, and I think it would work well for that. Any longer and you're gonna want to go bigger though...I can only haul enough junk for 3, maybe 4 days in my 2200, so I can't imagine the Superday would suffice for more than a day or two's worth of gear.

If there is a possibility that you'll be packing meat I'd go with the 2200 (or bigger if you need it) anyway. Nice to have the internal frame for that...neccesary actually for me. :thumbs_up

· Registered
1,558 Posts
Yup!

I have three of them. They are tough well designed and have a great warranty. I have had two of them for three years, lots of use, no negatives. I have a 2200 that I use for hunting bulls. It is a great pack. I have used it several times to haul a rear elk quarter, or front quarter. ( From larger than average bulls.) It has been flawless.

· Registered
94 Posts
I've had the superday for 2 seasons now and it's a great pack. I hunt elk and deer both rifle and archery with it. Might be a tad small for overnight but you could probbaly make it work. I must say they have a great warranty as well. Bad thing is, I've had to use it 3 times in the last 2 years because of busted zippers. They even sewed the new zipper on backwards the first time I sent it in. It's a fair price but add $40 in repair shipping charges and it keeps getting more expensive.

· Registered
3,588 Posts
No!!!!

If you are going to use it out west for day, 2-day, or multi-day hunting & scouting get yourself a backpack that backpackers have been using. You can find better engineered packs from a number of different companies that often times will cost less, fit better, and have nicer features.

· Registered
14,406 Posts
If you are going to use it out west for day, 2-day, or multi-day hunting & scouting get yourself a backpack that backpackers have been using. You can find better engineered packs from a number of different companies that often times will cost less, fit better, and have nicer features.
That's true, Millet makes some great packs, like the Millet Prolite 27. The trick is finding one that can haul meat. Its really helpful to have and meat shelf and wings, and most of the general backpacks do not. I own Badlands and Eberlestock packs and I personally much prefer the Eberlestock. I have an X2 and for what I do it is the perfect pack.

Here is a mini review I did of the X2:
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=723008

· Registered
2,991 Posts

You do have a point there...my experience with "backpacking" packs is they're tough to haul meat with, but there are definitely some nice/comfortable packs in the non-hunting arena. :thumbs_up

· Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This would be for elk hunting. We usually set up the main camp and go from there and might not be back for a couple of days. I'd be carrying a small sleeping bag and bivy, some gear and food. We pack the game on horses or mules, so no meat packing. Superday is 1900some cubic inches and obviously you can buy cheaper ones in the fifty sixty seventy dollar range. Just wondering about the value of the Badlands.

· Registered
3,588 Posts
pack

You do have a point there...my experience with "backpacking" packs is they're tough to haul meat with, but there are definitely some nice/comfortable packs in the non-hunting arena. :thumbs_up
I have a Gregory pack I use for backpacking year around. It does a great job hauling meat for me and I used the rain cover as a template and made a nice camo cover.

· Registered
13,544 Posts
I debated getting one for a few years, then finally broke down and bought a 2200 last year. I love it! I can't believe how comfortable it is and how much stuff I can attach to it. I have attached a ground blind, my bow, and many layers of clothing, plus enough food and drink for two days...and walked three miles each way with all of that. Definitely worth the money.

· Registered
375 Posts
Worth every penny.....I am using the Super Day and its never let me down, very tough pack.

d

· Registered
5,566 Posts
That's true, Millet makes some great packs, like the Millet Prolite 27. The trick is finding one that can haul meat. Its really helpful to have and meat shelf and wings, and most of the general backpacks do not. I own Badlands and Eberlestock packs and I personally much prefer the Eberlestock. I have an X2 and for what I do it is the perfect pack.

Here is a mini review I did of the X2:
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=723008
Is that what they are for?Both my son and I received 2800's from the boss for Christmas (no instructions).I don't have a clue what half the stuff is for:tongue:

· Registered
8,628 Posts
I have to agee with the "yes." I debated about spending the money, but I got to figuring how much money I've spent on cheaper packs and how "often" I had to do this and I bit the bullet and love the packs. I don't agree with the guys that say if you are just going to stand hunt whitetails that it would not be worth it. I think if this is your main focus of hunting then you want the pack that can hold up to your hunt. There again, to each his own. I hunt whitetails only and know that if you head into a different part of the country, you don't want to be without anything. I purchased the Hybrid Whitetail this year and I'm looking forward to using it. It is built like the Superday but with more pockets. Good luck on your decision and I think they are worth every penny!:thumbs_up

· Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have to agee with the "yes." I debated about spending the money, but I got to figuring how much money I've spent on cheaper packs and how "often" I had to do this and I bit the bullet and love the packs. I don't agree with the guys that say if you are just going to stand hunt whitetails that it would not be worth it. I think if this is your main focus of hunting then you want the pack that can hold up to your hunt. There again, to each his own. I hunt whitetails only and know that if you head into a different part of the country, you don't want to be without anything. I purchased the
Hybrid Whitetail
this year and I'm looking forward to using it. It is built like the Superday but with more pockets. Good luck on your decision and I think they are worth every penny!:thumbs_up
The whitetail hybrid was another one I was thinking about. Have you tried to carry your bow on this pack?

· Registered
8,628 Posts
The whitetail hybrid was another one I was thinking about. Have you tried to carry your bow on this pack?
I have played with it around the house and it works fine. It also has a scabbard type cup for the rifle. You can carry both with this pack as well. The only negative that I have found with this pack is the two side magnet pockets. You really can't fill them up and expect the pockets to close. Other than that, it is near perfect. I carry a gerber tree saw and then 3 different types of knives along with the thermocell, so I like a little extra room:teeth: and this pack gives it to me. It is a little more expensive than the Superday(about $30) but I really like the pockets. I can not express how many there are. It can carry a full extra heavy cold weather suit in it at the same time if you wanted.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.