Archery Talk Forum banner

Badlands whitetail pack - poor quality materials?

7490 Views 69 Replies 45 Participants Last post by  nebling
I bought one of the Badlands whitetail hybrid packs over the summer when they were first released. I planned on using it on my early fall black bear hunt in Ontario and then throughout the 2009 deer season. Before the pack had ever seen any field use I broke one of the zipper tabs on the side vertical pockets. At that time I knew Badlands had a great warranty policy but the bear hunt was looming closer and I didn't want to send it in for repairs and miss having it for the hunt.
Then recently while up in the treestand I went to grab something out of the front horizontal openings and I broke off ANOTHER zipper tab!! :angry:

The pack originally seemed like a high quality pack but I can't believe I have already broke 2 tabs (without mis-use) in my first season with it!?!?

I am tagged out for 2009 so I am getting ready to send it back to Badlands for warranty repairs but I am skeptical about the integrity of the materials used to make the zipper tabs. I am willing to bet I will brake more of them. I knew I should have bought a pack made in the U.S.A.. So far I haven't had much luck with the one made in Vietnam.:thumbs_do

Anyone else having problems with the new Whitetail pack?

I was thinking about buying another Badlands pack (Monster fanny) but not until I am satisfied with the repairs and reliability of the pack I already have.
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

· Registered
1,083 Posts
I have a hybrid and like it, but that being said I am getting rid of it because it just wasn't much good for packing out an elk. I am going to get a pack that is more condusive to my hunting. I tried to hunt light this year and it was more of a hassle. other than that great pack. If you decide that you are not happy with badlands repairs, take a look at bruzer gear that will be my next pack and they are awesome packs. unconditional lifetime warranty and 100 percent water proof. good stuff.

· Registered
2,862 Posts
I had tabs break off my superday before I even used it as well. Guy from badlands said they do not make the zipper tabs and they have this issue alot. Most guys just put a small loop with string to pull zippers. Good packs but zippers are very brittle. It just kinda shocks you when you pay over 150 for a pack then little stuff breaks off before even using it. The rest of the pack should last you awhile though.

· Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had tabs break off my superday before I even used it as well. Guy from badlands said they do not make the zipper tabs and they have this issue alot. Most guys just put a small loop with string to pull zippers. Good packs but zippers are very brittle. It just kinda shocks you when you pay over 150 for a pack then little stuff breaks off before even using it. The rest of the pack should last you awhile though.
Sounds like there are others with similar problems..... that sucks

· Registered
13,490 Posts
bruzer gear packs check em out:thumbs_up

· Registered
1,162 Posts
No problems with my Superday

But here's another great option. Check out the Nimrod line. They have been making fire packs for years for wildland firefighters. Their hunting packs are built tough and they can be configured / accessorized in a lot of different ways. Great people to work with too.

· Registered
723 Posts
i had a very similar situation... I have a superday and befor it ever hit teh field i had a zipper tab break off... I emailed "Badland's" and told them my problem and ask if they could just send me the tab so i could fix it my self... 4 days later i got a envolope in the mail with 5 tabs and a Double D bow hunting video.... Although i never got a confirmation e-mail the tab's were sent very quick! Only thing that did bother me and now after reading this thread i see there is a problem with the tabs hence the reason they sent me 5 when i only needed one....

I have quite a bit of stand time with this pack this year and usualy have always had it packed to the gills with stuff i will never need and have yet to have another problem... When the time is right i will look to them again

· Registered
14,752 Posts
I haven't had these issues with either my superday or my monster fanny pack. I'm pretty happy with mine.:darkbeer:
same here with my 2200..couldn't be happier:thumbs_up

· Bettering the last.....
6,162 Posts
not ot hijack- or that you asked- but i have a horn hunter that has been beat on and it seems to have held up impeccably

· Registered
2,701 Posts
I've got a Monster Fanny and let me tell you! I beat the crap out of it! I havent' busted a zipper, or broke a tab yet. In the off season it's strapped to our ATV racks alot and generally abused any other way.

· Registered
137 Posts
I've got a Monster Fanny and let me tell you! I beat the crap out of it! I havent' busted a zipper, or broke a tab yet. In the off season it's strapped to our ATV racks alot and generally abused any other way.
wow, you're lucky. I broke 2 zipper tabs from my Monster Fanny within 2 weeks of purchasing. And the pack hadn't even seen the woods yet at the time. Oh well. Rather than send it back, I just looped some string and Im good to go.

The pack is great otherwise.

· Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the more I think about it the more I think that Badlands has some issues with their manufacturing tolerances. the tabs that broke on my pack were very thin metal.

· Registered
2,701 Posts
wow, you're lucky. I broke 2 zipper tabs from my Monster Fanny within 2 weeks of purchasing. And the pack hadn't even seen the woods yet at the time. Oh well. Rather than send it back, I just looped some string and Im good to go.

The pack is great otherwise.
so far so good. If/when i do break off the tabs i'll just put some parachord on. Not a big deal, figure that will work as well or better anyway. Like you said. No reason to send a pack back for something that marginal but to each their own. It is Badlands warranty. 100% UNCONDITIONAL lifetime warranty.

· Registered
15,179 Posts
I have had several Black Ridge packs (made by the same company that makes the Badlands packs) with zipper issues. They replaced them with no problems and no questions asked. Contact Vortexx packs and get them replaced.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.