Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would be the best way to bait north dakota early season white-tail bucks or doe's? suggestions please, types of baits?

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Corn works the best. I would buy a tripod feeder, unless you have unlimited supplies of corn.:wink:

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
I do use corn in front of my camera(it helps in getting an inventory on the bucks in the area because it places them in front of your camera for good pics) in the summer and for hunting in early/late season.What I do is scout my deer with cameras and by glassing fields in the summer.These deer will some what hold a pattern coming to the bean fields during September.So,I go in to an area or trail that my target bucks are using and hang a stand a place 40-50 lbs of corn out about a week before the season.I do this to lure them into bow range...hopefully.I do not use stationary feeders because I move around alot.I just broadcast the corn in a area...I do not pile the corn,deer seem to like it better when they can keep moving and pick kernels up as they move.The only negative to this is you may have a deer come in that you are going to pass and hang around after dark and pin you in the tree.After acorns fall I lay off the corn.My bow season starts Sept 9 and I will use corn during September and again in December after the rut and most of the acorns are gobbled up.When deer come to my corn they usually stay a couple of minutes and then move on to the beans.I consider my method more like a mobile food plot...I am very scent and wind conscious when I broadcast the corn and position my stands.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Try "Cmere deer" and tell me how it works. Stuff is expensive and I dont want to waste my $$ on it if it won't work.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Why bait??? I just despise the guys who sit by a feeder and wait for the deer to come to it, and shoot it, then call it hunting. Jackie Bushman is the worst, he wouldn't know how to scout out an area, place a stand and kill a deer. To each his own, but baiting is one of the things that will make us look even worse in the eyes of those who hate hunting anyhow. Sorry, but I just can't call a guy who shoots a buck, doe, yearling, whatever over a pile of corn a hunter!!!! Kudos to the states who don't allow baiting.

·
Registered
92 Posts
give me a break.if you don't have an answer for the question asked then save your comments.Just because you don't approve doesn't give you the right to preach.Same guy probably hunts next to a food plot he planted.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
SEOBowhntr said:
Why bait??? I just despise the guys who sit by a feeder and wait for the deer to come to it, and shoot it, then call it hunting. Jackie Bushman is the worst, he wouldn't know how to scout out an area, place a stand and kill a deer. To each his own, but baiting is one of the things that will make us look even worse in the eyes of those who hate hunting anyhow. Sorry, but I just can't call a guy who shoots a buck, doe, yearling, whatever over a pile of corn a hunter!!!! Kudos to the states who don't allow baiting.
you hunt bears?

there isnt anything wrong with baiting. i myself like to sit and enjoy seeing deer, and if that means using bait to my advantage, then i will. you do your thing, and ill do mine, but do not critisize what i do.

·
Registered
8,806 Posts
i don't use this to bait but i do use it to feed the deer just because i like to see them feeding out in the yard. it's a mix that i have been making for a while it's rather cheap to make and the animals love it.

100 pounds of cracked corn or just regular corn
50 pounds of black oil sunflower seeds
1 gallon of stump licker molassas.

mix it all up in a big rubermaid tub and take it out 1 5 gallon bucket at a time.
if you take the whole tub out at once it will be gone in a day or 2. i just dump out 5 gallons 2-3 times a week just to keep the deer coming back.

·
Banned
841 Posts
SEOBowhntr said:
Why bait? Maybe because it's legal where he lives and that's his choice.

If you really mean to each his own, why slam guys for following the laws in their area? :wink:

Or did you mean, to each his own....but my way is the only right way? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I grew up in Beulah. Just go to the elevator in town and you can buy 50lb bags of "Sweet Seven" or something like that.

It's a mix between corn, molasses, ect. and it's only like $8.00 a bag.

No baiting down here in SD.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Hammerschmidt

I grew up and graduated from Beulah.

I am already an old fart (25).

Where are you going to be hunting around Beulah this year?
There have already been some good bucks taken this year.

Do you know powerman here on AT? He still lives in Beulah and he took a real dandy last weekend.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
SEOBowhntr said:
So what you are saying is that you don't use rattles, bleats, grunts or any kind of call durring the rut EVER. That to me is also baiting. If it is legal, DO IT. If you don't like it DON"T DO IT.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i dont know him, but my last name is banks, i shot my deer south of beulah just when chefy rode turns to gravle, to the east there was a huge corn feild, i beleive it is kesslers feild. i hunted on the east side of it in a tree row. are u related to the hammerschmidt's that live in beulah? mike?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
OK, you were hunting down where Nathan took his buck this year right?

Powerman is Jesse Carter. Nathan knows him.

My parents still live in Beulah (Joe and Sheila) and my uncle is the optometrist (Mike).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts