Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we have aquired some new property this year and several of the locals told us to kill some hogs because they are taking over. Anyways do any of you guys have any tips on baiting some hogs. i know corn will work good but curious to hear some other methods.. Thanks for your help..

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just about anything will work with hogs. Any kind of grain will do, but sometimes it's easier for them to find it if you put it in a bucket with some water for a few days to let it sour or just add some hog wild or something to it so they can smell it. I'm also gone to the backery outlet and gotten day old bread and used that before to. If you have a place that you know they are already frequenting then you can just pour out a little corn. Good luck, they are a lot of fun to hunt. Just remember to aim a little bit lower than what you normally do on a deer and you'll put them down quick.
Kody

·
Registered
187 Posts
TX Dot is right with the souring of the corn. I have done that many times. Another thing that we do is to use some diesel fuel on the corn. I know it sounds nuts but we would make a pile of corn and pour a cup of diesel on it. The sweet smell gets them every time.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
JasonC said:
Another thing that we do is to use some diesel fuel on the corn.
I have heard that too. I have a hard time believing that is very safe for your wildlife.

Sour corn for me. Get a five gallon bucket, fill it half way with corn. Add a couple of quarts of strawberry koolaid and top it off with a couple of beers. Let it set a couple of days and you have a hog favorite. (and your not afraid to eat him because he is stuffed full of petroleum products)

·
Registered
249 Posts
slinger09 said:
I have heard that too. I have a hard time believing that is very safe for your wildlife.

Sour corn for me. Get a five gallon bucket, fill it half way with corn. Add a couple of quarts of strawberry koolaid and top it off with a couple of beers. Let it set a couple of days and you have a hog favorite. (and your not afraid to eat him because he is stuffed full of petroleum products)
I have never tried the koolaid but I know that a case of cheap beer and 50 lbs. of corn sealed up in the hot sun for 5 days is irresistable to hogs.

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
I would hate to waste a case of beer on something I am hunting,,,,oh wait I was in college once! I remember those days.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
phantomxt,
Welcome to Archery Talk! :welcome:

In an open area dig a hole with a post hole digger, about 2 ft. deep. Fill the hole with corn, level with the ground and with a 6 pack of beer, pour 5 of the cans of beer on the corn. Pile some more corn on top of the hole of corn and add the last can of beer to the pile.

The hogs will destroy that area to get to the beer soaked corn in the hole. :)

If they don't show themselves during daylight hours, set up on them at night. Having several shooters with rifles and spot lights, when you think the time is right (you'll be able to hear the hogs fighting over the corn) turn on the lights and start shooting. :nod:

If you're in the Ohio area....or close by, give me a call. I'd love to help you thin out the population. :thumb:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

1 - 7 of 7 Posts