Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used baking soda on and off, for years, to clean my hunting clothes guys.
Now I'm not talking about the "Arm and Hammer" brand liquid detergent, which is also available. This liquid stuff, that is made to be clothes washing detergent, has a bunch of different scents, but I do believe they have an unscented version. Who knows, maybe this liquid would work too?

Anyhow, back to the regular old baking soda powder, that's been around for years.
I have used it on and off for years, and I'm fairly certain the stuff removed most, if not all of the unwanted scents in my hunting clothes.
At like $0.99 a box (or somewhere thereabouts, depending on the size you get), the price(s) just can't be beat.

It sure gets expensive, when you buy scent free: detergents, soaps, shampoos, deodorants, etc, etc. Heck, they've even got scent free toothpaste, aftershave, and lotions now I think.
Anyhow, just wondering if anyone else has used the baking soda before, and if so, what was your conclusion????

Thanks guys...

·
Registered
728 Posts
baking soda

I also have used baking soda for years. Good success with it. I now use an unscented liquid detergent with good results, and use scent killer spray before drying.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Baking soda is ok, but does it really clean that well? ......Not really. I use ALL:Free & Clear on all of my laundry, and Snuggle:Scent Free fabric softener, then I toss everything in the dryer with a Bounce:Scent Free dryer sheet. Once I have everything washed and dried, SCENT FREE, I will add a little cover scent, be it Earth Scent, Acorn, Doe Pee, or whatever. Hunter's Detergents are a waste of money and more or less a SCAM, when you can use a scent-free detergent that you can buy at any grocery store. I also make sure that this stuff is used on all of the clothes that goes through my dryer during season especially, and most of the year.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I've used baking soda for years.I recently tried the all free or tide free.it seemed to work well,I just wonder about the uv brightner thing.So far I haven't noticed any problems.

CB

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I know this would sound funny to a normal person (but not to a bowhunter of course), but I dont care if my hunting clothes are clean or not, just as long as they are scent free. I wash in baking soda, then dry either outside or with an earth scent drier sheet.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I use to use baking soda and had no problems with it. Some of these are gimmicks and hunting has gotten so commercialized. Good for you. I use scent free laundry det. I dont care what brand.

·
Registered
412 Posts
The baking soda works great. As for clean. In most washers with the agitation and the baking soda I think that they are as clean as washing with any detergent. I have used this combo for years and am very happy with it. I dry my stuff outside and let hang for a few days after the baking soda wash. Works great.....

·
Registered
443 Posts
I've used baking soda for years on all of my hunting gear throughout the season..Works great and cheap!!!!!!:)

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SEOBowhntr said:
Baking soda is ok, but does it really clean that well? ......Not really. .

SEOBOwhntr,

I am very interested to hear how you have come to this conclusion? I mean, do you REALLY KNOW that the baking soda isnt' working? I am not arguing you in any way, but I seem to feel differently, and IF you have good facts to support your statement, I would like to reconsider my findings.
I have always wondered IF the baking soda is removing ALL of the scents from my clothes, and I honestly am not SURE either way. However, I am very satisfied with what I've seen, and I can detect no odors myself. These factors are what I've used to make the decision to continue using baking soda. The other factor that came in to play, was of course the extreme low cost of baking soda.
SO, I would like to ask just what is it that makes you state to us that baking soda does NOT really clean well???

Thanks for sharing SEOBowhntr.

Also, thanks to everyone else in this thread!

·
Registered
249 Posts
CAJUNBOWHNTR said:
I've used baking soda for years.I recently tried the all free or tide free.it seemed to work well,I just wonder about the uv brightner thing.So far I haven't noticed any problems.

CB
Tide Free here too. Then lay out ALL of my clothes that I'll wear and spray them down with home made scent killer

·
Registered
93 Posts
I use Arm & Hammer unscented detergent then spray down in the woods.
Use vanilla or deer dander for cover scent. Had two bucks walk within petting distance last year.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts