Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
finally a member after 5 month of reading posts on this web site.i think after viewing other site this is by far the best site i,ve seen. i was wondering if i put this in a rubermaid bin seal close with all my hunting gear in it if it would do a good job keeping my clothing scent free during the archery season.i plan on making my own homemade scent spray(baking soda ingre.) the guy at work recomend using the earth scent waffers.Iam trying to go cheap iam on a budget .

Attachments

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Before the days of cover scents....my grandpa used to store his hunting clothes in a plastic garbage bag with baking soda and fresh turned dirt,,,and when he could find them ...he would take acorns that he picked up off the ground and crush them with a hammer and place those in the bag....when he was ready to hunt he would remove the clothes from the bag and shake them off and rub himself down with the ingredients of the bag. a lot of trouble but he always seemed to do good! Now you know the rest of the story!!!!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Use as much natural scent as you can. Go get some of the natural leaves, acorns, needles, or whatever is predominant in your hunting area and boil it is some water for about 15 minutes while your wife is gone shopping. Take the water and put it into a sealed container. Soak an old rag with the treated water and put in a bin or trash bag with your hunting clothes. Be carefull and don't put too much water in the sealed area or it will mildew. Anyway, you got your natural cover scent.

·
Registered
441 Posts
the baking soda treatment will work.I must be old enough to be kildogs grandpa,I did the same thing.Just be sure no moisture gets into the bag.I almost ruined a suit of (It was new then)treebark camo.Put some pine limbs in the bag and the needles soured.Rotted some of the thread in my camo.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I bet your not olereloader.....I should have picked up that habit...but I'm lazy...its easier to go get it off the shelf at wal mart

·
Registered
132 Posts
Scent block

I just bought a 3 pack of scent block- detergent, spray, and a bar of soap for $7. I think it would cost more for a box of baking soda and the time to gather up everything it would take to complete your project. Just a thought...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i know baking soda kills order very good but does it really have a scent smell that we as human can smell.i know from smelling it it has no smell.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Space Bags

I am trying the Space Bags from Wal Mart this year. They sell for about $15 and come in a three pack. Hook up your vacuum to a bag with your clothes inside one and once you take all of the air out the scent goes with it.
I washed the clothes and air dried them first.

I used the scent killer products last year and they worked also but I've never tried the baking soda.

Lane

·
Registered
916 Posts
True scent locker

Kildog your grandpa was/is a wise man. To this day I have never used a store purchased scent shield. I have always made my own. I leave my hunting garments out in the rain when possible I roll up my garb with fresh cut bows from evergreens and make mud pies for my hands and face camo. I pound the oils out of the indigenous foliage around when ever I can and I never use soaps on my clothes. The best scent shield I ever used was the "wind". The best camo I ever used was a buckskin colored Carhart coat that used the natural sunlight to cast shadows with a pair of tiger stripe pants, hat or bandana. No sunlight, ghillie sp. suit with the tiger stripe pants. Other than that I think camo and scents are well...
Have fun
Out for now

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
knight and hale sell it and call it stealth dust !!

·
Registered
984 Posts
I've used baking soda to wash my hunting clothes, for years. Any detergent made for hunters, probably contains the same ingredient.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Stealth Dust......
When I first saw it I thought the same thing..."Baking Sada in a Sock!" Then I used it, its not backing soda, that stuff pulls moisture out of anything...hair, skin, etc. I have to say that it seemed to work for me last year and I'll buy it again this year. But NO scent destroyer, carbon, cover scent, etc, is as effective as hunting the wind! Good Luck:D!

·
Registered
518 Posts
I've washed my clothes in baking soda for as long as i can remember.I store them with pine needles for a natural scent.I will rub pine needles on my clothes also for a cover scent.Vanilla works good for some folks as a cover up.Don't ask me why,but they swear by it.

CB

·
Registered
984 Posts
Vanilla works good for some folks as a cover up.Don't ask me why,but they swear by it.

Brownell offers a string wax with vanilla scent. I wondered why. Maybe this explains it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts