Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everybody knows that adding additional weight to the front of stabilizer moves the balance point more to the target. And the opposite - some weight in back hole of the bow moves that point to an archer. Good balance is very important holding bow steady and for right reaction of the bow on follow through stage.

From my experience I never let this balance point move outside the front line of the riser. But I am not sure it is right.

Would very appreciate your opinions. Hope for good discussion.

·
Registered
275 Posts
You will get a lot of opinions on this one. I think that you have to experiment with various setups to see what works for you. There is no magic bullet here that I have seen.
I have found that it is important to balance the bow so it hangs level--this tends to prevent the input of stabalizer muscles during the shot.
I have also found this year that putting weight BELOW the riser allows the bow to naturally stabalize, like a plumb bob on a string. I like that set up esp on my hunting bow. my 2cents.

·
Registered
49 Posts
:) balance of your bow is a personal thing depending on your grip style. the best thing to do is to get your weights and stabilizers together, and just start experimenting. you want to have that bow almost sit dead even in your hand. the only thing you would need to do is, keep the bow from slideing straight down out of your hand. that is equal weight front, as well as back. but you also need to have the physical weight exactly where it is comfortable for you. also the holding weight (at full draw) should be what holds up your bow for you. to much holding weight, and you'll find yourself strugleing to hold the bow up and steady during the shot. to little holding weight, and you'll find yourself flitting and jumping all around the target trying to hold steady. almost like muscle spasms. you may even try off-setting some weight just to balance any natural "cant" that you may have. this will take away any tendency to straighten the bow with your hand during the shot just to get it back to level. hope this helps.

joe the pro, nature-boy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, cambow, NATURE BOY

but is there any kind of rule, or as coaches say - things not for discussion - as axiom to follow - to set the balance point?

OK, if everybody will say - just experiment, and you will find right balance - I will go and do (actualy my problem is too much of experimentation).

But once again - opinion of elite archers and their coaches would be interesting to hear.

·
Registered
793 Posts
The simplest guide to balance is to get someone to watch you shoot the bow. If the end of the long rod kicks up then the balance point needs to be further forward. The further forward the balance point is the better - limited by overall weight and stabiliser stiffness.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts