Archery Talk Forum banner

Ballpark estimate for installing a new 40 gallon gas water heater

794 Views 9 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  05allegiance
I was away when my dad's 26 year old hot water tank bit the bullet. He called some guys who came out, gave him a new 40 with gas hookup and hauled away the old. I won't say yet what the price is, cause I want to hear a few responses first, but I think maye he got taken cause he's old and can't do this job by himself. What's your estimate as to a fair price for this?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
159 Posts
I was away when my dad's 26 year old hot water tank bit the bullet. He called some guys who came out, gave him a new 40 with gas hookup and hauled away the old. I won't say yet what the price is, cause I want to hear a few responses first, but I think maye he got taken cause he's old and can't do this job by himself. What's your estimate as to a fair price for this?
I did one myself, about 7 years ago, got the tank for a good price. Total cost about $100 and it was easy to install, imo

· Trollinus Maximus.
79,736 Posts
quoted abouts 250 over here, did it myself, I was nervous as it was my first time doing it, but, things seem to be running ok.

· Registered
10,363 Posts
Guessing after pricing some today
600-750 installed.
depending on what the plumber is charging per hour guessing 100 an hour for 2 hours or so.
most heaters were for a 40 gallon average about 400 bucks.
i got lucky and fixed mine today for 20 bucks, leaky spicket and new pop off valve.

· Registered
159 Posts
I did one myself, about 7 years ago, got the tank for a good price. Total cost about $100 and it was easy to install, imo
I had one other guy helping, may be off on the cost of the tank, it was a great price (I'm sure it was less than $200), previous year's model or something like that from Home Depot.

· Registered
1,539 Posts
I haven't priced new units in a while. 4 years ago we bought a GE Profile 50gal with the 9 year warranty (they go up to 25yrs) for around $200 at Home Depot. Installed it in less than 2 hours and I'm no plumber.

I guess for an 40gal "middle of the road" unit, installed, I would expect to pay around $500.

· Registered
4,978 Posts
Depending on the unit (high efficiency or not) your going to pay 300-400 for the heater, and swapping it out shouldn't cost more than $200 for sure. That's here. I installed my own on the last 3 houses I built, its not a big deal to do. If he got nailed for over $600 he got took. If its under $500 he probably did ok. Those are CDN $, adjust for exchange....

· Registered
1,882 Posts
Guessing after pricing some today
600-750 installed.
I had to pay apx $600 for a plumber to install one in a rental last year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.