Archery Talk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bama bows are stiff, very hard on the wrist, made mine hurt for a week. I had a 65" 60lb bow. The arrows shot as if I were shooting a 40# bow, with a whole lot of shock. Had a few of the local trad guys here try it, they all agreed, bad design.

·
Registered
92 Posts
BamaBows

I bought two of them off of eBay when they first started selling them there for $199, I was the only bidder. Since then they have raised their eBay price closer to their website price, I think their about $259 now.

I never got to shoot mine. I strung them both up and pulled them back, I didn't like the hand grip, wasn't long enough (up/down) for my hand otherwise the bow seemed to be made decently. I think that their craftsmanship seems to be pretty good. Their final finish coat is too light, scratches way to easy.

I actually resold mine on eBay for a loss, never shot them and one of them was snapped in half by UPS in the mail so I lost a lot of money in that whole endeavor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not worth but maybe $50 for material, then can be used for fire wood, good for throwing too, it will fly exceptionally fast. Good for spending your hard earned money on and getting only frustration and a wicked hurt wrist. you can however sand it down and make a spear out of it...

·
Registered
92 Posts
????

tradbox, have you ever contacted BamaBows to tell them what you think, maybe they'll trade yours out for another? They do have a guarantee with them.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Old thread, but just got my first Bama Hunter on Friday and love it. Ordered a straight grip, 47#@29", bamboo limbs and Bocote riser. Excellent fit and finish. Was at the range on Saturday. Shoots well, nice even draw, speed looks good, consistent impact point when I do my part right. I must admit that this is my first new Longbow and my experience with traditional bows is limited. I am adding the Longbow to my inventory of hunting tools along side my compounds. A lot of negativity in this thread, thought it need one positive voice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, I've had the privilege to shoot many many makes and models, from top of the line custom to factory made, I would not make a bad comment on a bow model if I really did not feel it deserved it. Sure, some people like what they get, or have. I'm sticking to my original post on this bow. I gave it away to a new archer at one of the shoots. He had not ever shot any of the top model bows and he also thought it was a great bow, plus, it was free for him. Shoot a Hummingbird bow, then let me know how a bama bow feels afterward..

·
Registered
17 Posts
tradbox, have you ever contacted BamaBows to tell them what you think, maybe they'll trade yours out for another? They do have a guarantee with them.
would not want a replacement, or trade for it, I gave it away... It was accurate, as anyone that can shoot a bow, can shoot any bow and be accurate, but it was not comfortable enough to keep shooting. Stiff, lots and lots of shock on the wrist. This is my personal opinion of the bow, It's in no way intended to bash a bow maker or what he makes, I have a buddy that sells bows for $200.00 that feel so much better, maybe I've been a little strong, but here's a nicer way to put it: The bow stacks at 25", The arrows shoot like a 40 lb bow from a 60 rated bow, the shock and vibration from the limbs are very hard on the wrists, may need to put some tape over your wrist to keep it from rattling apart, but what can one expect from a bow that runs $295? I decided to stick with Bear bows for my factory pick, and Hummingbird bows for my custom crafted pick. All others can be comparable, but I'm picky.

·
Registered
585 Posts
would not want a replacement, or trade for it, I gave it away... It was accurate, as anyone that can shoot a bow, can shoot any bow and be accurate, but it was not comfortable enough to keep shooting. Stiff, lots and lots of shock on the wrist. This is my personal opinion of the bow, It's in no way intended to bash a bow maker or what he makes, I have a buddy that sells bows for $200.00 that feel so much better, maybe I've been a little strong, but here's a nicer way to put it: The bow stacks at 25", The arrows shoot like a 40 lb bow from a 60 rated bow, the shock and vibration from the limbs are very hard on the wrists, may need to put some tape over your wrist to keep it from rattling apart, but what can one expect from a bow that runs $295? I decided to stick with Bear bows for my factory pick, and Hummingbird bows for my custom crafted pick. All others can be comparable, but I'm picky.
The Bamabow I ordered and received is one of the lightest, smoothest shooting bows I've had in my hands. I took a year to investigate potential choices for a new bow. In that year I checked archery sites, e-mailed and PM'd people. Not once did I read a negative review of the BamaBow or Nate Steele, but now I see I missed one...yep, just one.

Now on the other side of the coin. The BamaBow I own is the nicest longbow I have ever shot. It does not stack at all let alone 25". When released the bow is dead in the hand. No need to wrap wrists with this BamaBow. Quiet...even inside a building the quiet was commented on. I shoot both aluminum and POC. Both fly well. The finish on the bow is exactly the way I ordered it. BamaBows are a quality custom made bow and Nate Steele is a quality Bowyer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I agree with vlcnryder. I also did my home work on Bama Bows and could not have made a better choice on a bow. The craftmanship is excellent and the bow has no handshock when tuned at the proper braceheight. I've had other bowyers comment well on mine as to being shockfree and the quietness even when shot indoors. Nate is a great guy to work with. Not once during all the emails or phonecalls did he seem to mind. Two thumbs up from me to Bama Bows.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I recently bought a BamaBow as well, it's 53# @ 28". I've been shooting trad for a little over a year and have heard nothing but good things about their bows. I have never seen a post on a forum where a person had anything bad to say about these bows. I was actually very surprised when I opened this thread and saw so much negativity towards them. The first few times I shot mine I did notice a little hand shock, but now I don't notice it at all. I believe this bow actually draws smoother and "feels" lighter than my 50# Damon Howatt Hunter (recurve). And talk about quiet, this is one of the quietest bows I've ever shot.

I too give two thumbs up for the BamaBows.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, first post here.

I am a novice archer with a wife and two children ages 6 and 8 who loves the outdoors, excercise hardcore into family values, good food and wonderful times.

I bought a 62" 28#@28" hunter model from Nathanael and a brief google search of reviews for this master bowyer brought me here because I wanted to see what others thought. I wanted an easy shooting bow for my wife who is wont to join us in our Robin Hood quests in the woods. Many of you will laugh at me but I currently shoot a Martin Poplar with 25 and 30# limbs, and a Martin Saber with 35 and 40# limbs (ebay is your friend for cheap used limbs with takedown bows). I am 6'4" with a 30 1/2" draw length so these weights are actually substantially more for the arrows I shoot but most people might still laugh anyway at my low weights. I'm a novice what can I say but I love this sport for its challenge and physical conditioning for my diabetes type I as much as anyone!

I can say Nathanel's bow I bought for my wife as a birthday gift is the best bow I own. I shoot the smallest groups with it compared to any other bow, despite being a newbie I can pretty much hit anything I look at within 10 yards, and its penetration into targets is actually the same to slightly more than my 30# Martin Poplar and the trajectories are pretty close to my 35# Martin Saber. There's something special about his bows, call it elf magick, I don't know that gives it so much power, speed and pointability for its modest appearance. This particular bow is extremely light, it's so light that I just draw back and hold it with an open bow hand without actually holding it. An experienced archer might not hold the bow at all with their bow hand to avoid torque, I have to work on that. But with Nathanael's bow, it's so light that I can shoot the arrow and feel I have plenty of time to clasp it with my fingers as the lightness of the bow gives it so little momentum I have no fear of dropping it or not being able to stop it with an open hand. It's a fun, light, easy bow that you can lug around with you all day it the woods to shoot at the Sheriff of Nottingham's minions, Zombies and other targets of opportunity with the boys. Wife doesn't mind carting it around and despite her lack of experience can hit a man size target at 5-10 yards... trust me for her that's an accomplishment because for her Archery is the vehicle that she gets her "men" out of the house for "personal time" and not something for her (yet)!

It's intuitive to shoot because the way the riser is cut makes for a central arrow position, and again, to quote Colin Chapman, this bow has a heavy addition of the quality of "lightness". It's a bright shooting bow with a lot of character because the initial draw feels extremely heavy compared to its weight for the first few inches. Then the weight increase is marginal, so while there is no let off like a compound bow, the actual weight is very efficient for an intuitive bow giving the biggest push to the arrow at the end, unlike most intuitive bows. I will say for longer draw lengths like mine the last few inches "stack" giving it some extra punch. As mentioned, the penetration into targets is comparable to factory recurve bows of higher draw weights which tells me the actual draw weight at my draw length is probably higher than the usual "2 pounds per inch past 28". More than once I brought it at my archery pro shop and others were simply floored with how quiet it was. The main sound when you shoot this thing is the solid, confident 'THOWK' of the arrows hitting the target. It's a bit light to take big game but I am sure you could go after rabbits and whatnot without the little beasts knowing what hit them.

I am writing this review because the first google hit for a Bamabows review has "negative" text. Maybe Nathanael was having a bad day when he made that bow in 2009 for the unsatisfied customer, but for me he has managed to craft not a bow, but a Wraith that is light a ghost, pointable as a laser beam, quiet as a ninja and for what it is powerful as a tornado. I had the horn and elk accents put on for aesthetics and the thing is dark, moody on purpose, it just looks understated. It's harmonious, but so thin and tiny you have no idea the power within. I might compare it to a custom AR with a high rate of twist shooting heavier 556 or 223 bullets like the Hornady TAP 75 grains. Compared to a 50# factory longbow from PSE that cost half as much, but was 1/10th as interesting to shoot given its dull, slow quality, it's like apples to oranges. Nathanael's bowyer skills give you all the best from both the longbow world (pointability, stability) and the recurve world (quiet, fast); his prices are totally worth it considering other custom and factory bows I have shot. The prices are also out of this world, I hope Nathanael doesn't see this review because I've shot custom bows at the range owned by others that were amazing, but did not have this combination of qualities. Needless to say I am in the process of buying more bows and would want to keep buying from him even at a much higher price, but love the fact that he is so affordable.

The best part of buying a Bamabow is Nathanael who answers his cell phone and courts all customers like a personal friend. He will ask you all kinds of questions and even sell you (for a good price) arrows that are perfectly spined for the bow. It's so fun to call him up at any random time and chat about anything, including diet, meat, recipies and the lifestyle of being in your 30's, married with 2 kids and loving the family friendly, low carb, outdoors lifestyle of free thinking folk.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
this is a 6 yr. old thread..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.