Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you bare shaft tune your bows? What are the advantages? What order with the other (group, creep, paper) methods should this be done?

·
Registered
819 Posts
I just went through this...first I did a walkback (got a vertical line). Then did the creep tune (2cam bow) at 40yds to same point of impact. Then tried the bareshaft test with one arrow that came out dead center in the green on AA and then tried an arrow that was at the top of the yellow for stiff on AA.

What I got was a bare shaft that impacted 6" right of the fletched shafts(weak) with both arrow setups at 20 yds. My conclusion is that bareshaft tuning is a waste of time with a compound where the centershot is cut past center.....and you use a release. I don't shoot with fingers, so I can't speak for that.

Just for information, many years ago, with a compound NOT cut past center using a cushion plunger and flipper rest I could get bareshafts and fletched shafts to group together out to 50 yds. using a release.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Weak spine

I also stripped down 2 arrows this week and tried this bareshaft tunning. I am shooting fingers and have had several people run my arrows through both AA and TAP. It showed good spine. My bareshaft hit 8"-12" to the right. I had to back my bow down 6 pounds to get them grouping with my fletched. I do not know if I need more or less side pressure with my rest or not. I saw no improvement in groups so I added 3 pounds back. I plan on messing with my rest but I did not find these results very promissing. I have recently started practicing with a release so I haven't had time to test it yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts